IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

2002 6spd Acura TL Type-S VS 2002 5Spd Lexus IS300???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-01, 08:27 PM
royboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

pros and cons of both please...
Old 08-07-01, 09:38 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on top of my head:

2002 6spd Acura TL Type-S
--------------------------------------------------------
pros:
6-speed manual
i think it's alittle bigger
faster by a bit

cons:
oversized Accord
crappy materials
FWD
they're everywhere
bad weight distribution

2002 5Spd Lexus IS300
--------------------------------------------------------
pros:
Lexus quality!
Abundant aftermarket mods that's not shared with Accords
RWD
very good weight balance
the world's most potentious L6 engine

cons:
it's slower
Altezza style taillights everywhere
Old 08-07-01, 11:30 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

While you get Lexus build quality with the IS, you sure dont get Lexus quality interior plastics. They are brick hard and I am willing to bet the TL has MUCH better interior materials.

The TL is a lot bigger than the IS so theres much more room. The 6 speed will simply KILL the IS 5 speed (you really shouldnt compare these models IMO BTW). The 5 speed auto Type S does 0-60 in 6.3 seconds i believe. 6 speed manual should bring it down to 6 flat or even lower.

Im sure the IS L6 engine is very tunable, but more tunable than the Skyline GTR's RB? They have that thing in over 1000hp.

Handling of the TL will be NO WHERE NEAR the IS though. The lighter weight (i think) of the IS and much better weight distribution, and RWD, will point and laugh at the TL hundreds of feet ahead of it.

Basically:

TL: straighline speed, more luxo and content

IS: fun in the twisties, sharp edge looks, great brakes
Old 08-08-01, 01:04 AM
N10S1
Driver

Yesterdays news, wait for a 2003 G35, out next spring 02. 260hp minimum, rwd, similar set up with the JDM Skyline. Not the GT-R though.
Old 08-08-01, 02:14 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus will need to bump up the HP on the IS300 (which means that all the other models will also have to have a bump) because I think if I was in the market for a compact luxury sport sedan (or near luxury I should say), I would pick a G35 over the IS300...unless Lexus brings up the HP to match the G35...

I know, I sound like a traitor but I've owned Infiniti's before and they're service (at least at the dealerships I've gone to) have be on par with Lexus. Plus the cars were great (not as good as my GS430 though!).

And if you're buying a performance sedan, a 35-40HP difference matters.

Infiniti REALLY needs to bring over the GT-R model though...
Old 08-08-01, 11:28 AM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by manaray
Lexus will need to bump up the HP on the IS300 (which means that all the other models will also have to have a bump) because I think if I was in the market for a compact luxury sport sedan (or near luxury I should say), I would pick a G35 over the IS300...unless Lexus brings up the HP to match the G35...

I know, I sound like a traitor but I've owned Infiniti's before and they're service (at least at the dealerships I've gone to) have be on par with Lexus. Plus the cars were great (not as good as my GS430 though!).

And if you're buying a performance sedan, a 35-40HP difference matters.

Infiniti REALLY needs to bring over the GT-R model though...

The new GTR wont be out until 2003 so they couldnt bring it anyway. Nissan/Infiniti says it has a 50/50 chance of coming to the US. I think itll almost definitly show up here but Im no insider.
Old 08-08-01, 10:13 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DROD2045
While you get Lexus build quality with the IS, you sure dont get Lexus quality interior plastics. They are brick hard and I am willing to bet the TL has MUCH better interior materials.

The TL is a lot bigger than the IS so theres much more room. The 6 speed will simply KILL the IS 5 speed (you really shouldnt compare these models IMO BTW). The 5 speed auto Type S does 0-60 in 6.3 seconds i believe. 6 speed manual should bring it down to 6 flat or even lower.

Im sure the IS L6 engine is very tunable, but more tunable than the Skyline GTR's RB? They have that thing in over 1000hp.

Handling of the TL will be NO WHERE NEAR the IS though. The lighter weight (i think) of the IS and much better weight distribution, and RWD, will point and laugh at the TL hundreds of feet ahead of it.

Basically:

TL: straighline speed, more luxo and content

IS: fun in the twisties, sharp edge looks, great brakes
Lexus quality plastic is alot better than Acura quality plastics. Just because it's hard plastic doesn't mean it's not good. My bro's E320 plastic is pretty hard but i'm sure it won't be and worse in quality than Acura plastic.

If all someone cares about speed then get WRX. With some BPU that thing can do 4.6 flat.

Toyota 2JZ series is just as tuneable as the RB. For your information VeilSide also has a 1000hp Supra with the real 2JZ engine. TopSecret RB26 isn't the only one with 1000hp. They're both more tuneable than Honda 3.2 that's not on a NSX.

Basically:

TL: straighline speed, fake luxo and content

IS: fun in the twisties, sharp edge looks, Lexus quality, great brakes
Old 08-08-01, 10:17 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

Or you can check out Area 51's SC300 drag car. It has a 2JZ-GTE putting out 1400hp with no NOS
Old 08-08-01, 11:13 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
TL-s is a fst car but not a sports car, I do not see how 6-speed will help........

IS designed to be a sports car which it is

Are you kidding me? You act like the IS is faster than the TL/TL type S which is definitly not. How will a 6 speed help? manual trannys are lighter than autos, you get the benefit of an extra gear, better control of the cars power. For conversations sake. The BMW 540 sport does 06- in 6.5 or 6.6 seconds with a 5 speed auto. With a 6 speed manual, it does 0-60 in 5.4 to 5.7 seconds.

If the IS were a true sports car, it would beat a family sedan in 60. But it wasnt meant to be a sports car actually, its a sporty sport sedan. not a sport sedan if you catch my drift.
Old 08-10-01, 05:44 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Are you kidding me? You act like the IS is faster than the TL/TL type S which is definitly not. How will a 6 speed help? manual trannys are lighter than autos, you get the benefit of an extra gear, better control of the cars power. For conversations sake. The BMW 540 sport does 06- in 6.5 or 6.6 seconds with a 5 speed auto. With a 6 speed manual, it does 0-60 in 5.4 to 5.7 seconds.

If the IS were a true sports car, it would beat a family sedan in 60. But it wasnt meant to be a sports car actually, its a sporty sport sedan. not a sport sedan if you catch my drift.
6 speed will help the performance, yes drag or control. However the TL-S wasn't designed to be a sports car. soemthing like 65/35 weight distribution and FWD? You gotta be kidding. It just happened to be designed by a group of people who wants straitline performance. They did pretty well on that. Everything else is left out.

IS (Altezza) is designed to be a sports sedan. Not a SPORTY one, but a sport sedan. Toyota's answer to Evo and WRX (but without AWD and forced induction it's not up there). Take a look at the N1 races. They wouldn't use a SPORTY car for N1 if they're not developing true track equipment for a SPORTS SEDAN.

Period.
Old 08-10-01, 06:21 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

6 speed will help the performance, yes drag or control. However the TL-S wasn't designed to be a sports car. soemthing like 65/35 weight distribution and FWD? You gotta be kidding. It just happened to be designed by a group of people who wants straitline performance. They did pretty well on that. Everything else is left out.

IS (Altezza) is designed to be a sports sedan. Not a SPORTY one, but a sport sedan. Toyota's answer to Evo and WRX (but without AWD and forced induction it's not up there). Take a look at the N1 races. They wouldn't use a SPORTY car for N1 if they're not developing true track equipment for a SPORTS SEDAN.

Period.

Thats what ive been saying all along about the TL. its about straight line speed. if you want highway speeds and drag races.

If the IS were a true sport sedan and was designed to be one, it would perform like on especially in all aspects of a sport sedan which it desont.

"period"
Old 08-11-01, 09:04 PM
RiCeBoY300

Post ....

well IMO i say the IS300 has more potential and is a better car overall, and not to offend n e one but jus a quote about HOnda/ Acura "Powered By Honda/ Acura, i eat them up eveytime" lol its on my brothers Corvette Z06!! well im new to the forum so HELLO EVERYONE!!
Old 08-13-01, 03:56 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Hey DROD2045, if the TLS were as you call it "a true sports car", it would handle like one, which it doesn't at all, hence the reason that it is the first mod most TLS owners get. I'm sorry, but throwing an aero kit and an S badge on a sedan, and then tweaking the engine doesn't make it a sports car. Actually, it makes it a $35k Accord.
Old 08-13-01, 08:13 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

If the IS were a true sport sedan and was designed to be one, it would perform like on especially in all aspects of a sport sedan which it desont.

"period"

RWD
manual transmission for 2002
great weight distribution
engine full of potential
doesn't look like any family car counterpart

if those things don't make a sport sedan, then the TL is just a family car if not a wagon lookalike.

PERIOD.
Old 08-13-01, 09:24 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

RWD
manual transmission for 2002
great weight distribution
engine full of potential
doesn't look like any family car counterpart

if those things don't make a sport sedan, then the TL is just a family car if not a wagon lookalike.

PERIOD.

So basically youre saying that the IS has the potential to be a great sport sedan but isnt which is what im saying.

"PERIOD"

Quick Reply: 2002 6spd Acura TL Type-S VS 2002 5Spd Lexus IS300???