IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Acura RSX Type R -VS- Lexus IS300?? hmm

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-01, 06:38 PM
muddyh2o
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Here's the deal all! My roomate is pondering the idea of either buying an IS300 or waiting to see if they bring the RSX Type R over to the states. I'm pushing him towards the IS because I own Multiple Lexus's and know of their quality. (plus the IS is just all out fun! ah and the fact that the IS is sold in the states is a BIG PLUS too! haha) He is driving a 2000 Acura Integra GSR, so he is a bit bias. What do you all think????

I don't really know much about the new RSX models never the less the Type R, but I'm sure the RSX Type R is a screamer.. I figured some of you may have read up on it more then I... Thanx!!!!!
Old 08-14-01, 07:05 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the new age Integra Type-R only has 20hps more than the Type-S (which comes to 220hp). And alot of it is cosmetics and interior, like the kit and rims and the spoiler and the sport seats. I'd rather get the Type-S and make it even better looking than the Type-R.

But I would get IS.
Old 08-14-01, 07:26 PM
muddyh2o
Driver School Candidate

Yea, I agree.. I'm all about the IS too... don't they strip down the Interior of the Type R to make it lighter?
Old 08-14-01, 09:41 PM
GhoSStRyda
Rookie

are those cars in the same class? i think the IS has more class than the RSX... while the RSX is a sports inspired.. one is a four door and the other a two door... now if they offer a RSX type R that might be equal....

IMO, the RSX looks ugly.... its sortava mixed design with MB C classesque head lights, celica like mid body, paseo like rear quarters, camry like taillights, er.... what else am i missing?

the design of the IS is smooth flowing and pretty clean... but i can live without the clear tail lights sometimes cuz soo many people have tried to steal that and put it on their accords, mustangs, SUV''s, civics, cavaliers etc... etc... you get the picture...

i would choose the IS hands down~
Old 08-14-01, 10:06 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Lightbulb IS3 is the styling winner here...

Ditto GhoSStRyda you nail it on the head!

Just don't race a RSX... Especially with the S version shows it ugly head. Acura is coming strong as hell with their S versions!!! Plus there are tons of parts available for the Honda based engines...

Tell him to go for the IS3, it's a Lexus, so more panache is a given...
Old 08-14-01, 10:18 PM
muddyh2o
Driver School Candidate

What do ya guys think if Honda brings over the RSX Type R?? I know they are bring the souped up Civic over, but not quite the same.. I do agree, that the IS3 is a much much better looking car.. the PIMP Factor is much higher haha.
Old 08-15-01, 12:53 AM
GhoSStRyda
Rookie

i thought the cars exterior just looks like junk... i didn't even like the interior... it looks regurgitated... ive seen that layout somewhere already in another one of Hondas products...

i had a 94 4dr GSR (with red rims ), i still love the way it looks, ah... i miss driving it
Old 08-15-01, 03:26 PM
muddyh2o
Driver School Candidate

Yea, I'm anxious to see what people do with the RSX, could be very interesting, but like the majority of you, I really don't care for the looks of the car, it definetly needs to be dropped because I agree it is way to high off the ground.. I actually saw one on the road for the first time the day after I posted my first thread, wasn't to impressed... REALLY pushing my roomate into the IS300... not gonna give up! haha.. Hey I also just bought my girlfriend a 2001 LX470.. if any of you get a chance to drive that thing do it.. it's incredible!!! Do agree that the RSX looks cheap and looks like something that has already been done.. I plan on test driving one anyway to see what they're all about..
Old 08-15-01, 06:23 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

I think that since now the price of the RSX has gone up quite a bit, there won't be that many people getting it anymore (teenagers). They might all turn to the trusted Civics and probably the upcomin Civic Si hatch.

Old 08-18-01, 05:19 PM
ineedblownIS300
Driver School Candidate

Default NO CONTEST

Isn't the RSX FWD? I think so, and if it is, NO CONTEST. Even the slightest engine mods will mean difficulty putting the power to the pavement. RWD is where it's at!!!
Old 08-18-01, 11:18 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by GhoSStRyda
are those cars in the same class? i think the IS has more class than the RSX... while the RSX is a sports inspired.. one is a four door and the other a two door... now if they offer a RSX type R that might be equal....

IMO, the RSX looks ugly.... its sortava mixed design with MB C classesque head lights, celica like mid body, paseo like rear quarters, camry like taillights, er.... what else am i missing?

the design of the IS is smooth flowing and pretty clean... but i can live without the clear tail lights sometimes cuz soo many people have tried to steal that and put it on their accords, mustangs, SUV''s, civics, cavaliers etc... etc... you get the picture...

i would choose the IS hands down~
RSX Type R is out of the IS' league in performance. Type S or base is the IS league. but even the Type S will out run the IS.
Old 08-19-01, 12:05 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: NO CONTEST

Originally posted by ineedblownIS300
Isn't the RSX FWD? I think so, and if it is, NO CONTEST. Even the slightest engine mods will mean difficulty putting the power to the pavement. RWD is where it's at!!!
that's true.

But Integra Type R is one of the best FWD cars in the world today. It's performance and handling are both very well, considering it's relatively cheap and FWD. It's the fastest FF car in Japan now.
Old 08-19-01, 11:00 AM
WannaIS300
Driver School Candidate

You can dis the RSX's looks but most writers feel the Type S is a close match for the current Type R less the stripped down feel. It is only 5" shorter than an IS3 but weighs 500 lbs less. Think of it as a hard top version of the Honda S2000 (less power but less weight). There is no doubt as to the fact that an S2000 will smoke an IS3 on a straight line or in the twisties. As to FWD, it has come a long way, baby. Just watch British or German touring car racing. Those cars don't seem to be suffering much. Add a limited slip to a Type S and it would be fearsome on a race track. As disclosure, I currently drive a 4 door GSR but am considering an IS3; part of me wants to revert back to sports car mode and get a Type S.
Old 08-20-01, 02:27 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Default Re: NO CONTEST

Originally posted by ineedblownIS300

ha. take a look at this dyno chart then...

remember, this is power at the wheels. For FWD, does a damn awsome job. (is this more than the IS at the wheels [stock]?)
Old 08-22-01, 01:11 PM
Risk3233
Driver

I like the old Intergra Type Rs. I like the old body style better than the new one. In fact, IMO the Type R is about as complete a track/auto-x car as one can get and yet be fairly comfortable on the street.

If I had to make a decision on a track car, it would easily be a Type R. I think Acura hit the mark on this car in terms of power and handling balance. It's no secret that these cars are top runners in Touring car racing, oftentimes beating BMWs and their rear drive handling.

BTW I own an IS 300 and it's about as perfect a car for me and suits my needs to a "T". However, a race car it is not. The differences between a Type R and an IS are clear with each car providing the owner its own set of positives and negatives.