IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

My comparision of the 5-speed vs. Auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-01, 05:29 PM
MrWigggles
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the past week, I have had the opurtunity to test drive both the IS300 manual and auto.

Being that most people know the auto pretty well, I will go over the differences.

The dealer just got the car in late last week and it still had the white paint protecter coverings on it. It also didn't have dealer plates installed so I had to do a brief test drive about 5 miles through back roads.

My good impressions:

1. The pedal is about as light a feather. It feels more like a video game than a real clutch it is that soft. Bumper-to-bumper traffic won't be a problem at all. Besides I don't think you have to use your foot; you could probably blow on the thing if you wanted to engage the clutch.

2. The 5 speed has a nice crisp action to it. Very similar to all lexus and toyota 5-speeds of the past.

3. Hello ARMREST for 2002!!

4. It did have traction control which to my knowledge is a first for a Lexus/Toyota manual transmission car (Supra fans speak up if you know differently)

The not so good:

A. The shifter is tall much taller than the shifter in my sc300. I don't know if they are using the W58 transmission or not.

B. They are using a similar shift **** to the auto; the chrome ball. I don't know about the rest of country; but here in Houston, chrome controls become lethal in the Texas heat and sun. The auto's ball was unbearable; but I only had to touch it once or twice not every shift!

(A and B will be replaced by aftermarket options in no time)

C. I could be wrong but 5th gear seamed very short to me. I was at 40MPH at no less than 1900 RPM. This works out to about 21-22 MPH/ 1000 RPM which is very low in my opinion for a fifth gear. With that in mind, the car doesn't need speed limiter the rev limiter will take care of things just fine. 6500 * 22 = 130MPH (although the web-site says 143 as the top speed). Something to keep in mind when you do your own test drive.

D. The car felt like a turboed 4 cyclinder car and not a 6 cylinder car. It felt very similar to my Subaru WRX test drive. It almost felt like turbo lag. The BMW 325 and the IS300 auto felt much smoother in the power delivery department.

E. The disengagement of the clutch was quite abrupt at one point in the test drive. I had to appologize to the sales person, "I swear I let it out slow. Honestly."

F. It didn't feel any quicker than auto I test drove. The sales person had a keen eye on me so I couldn't go hog wild, but it didn't feel faster.

Conclusion:

If you want to save money, go 5-speed. If you want more performance, buy the driveline that can handle the biggest Swift Racing mod.

It was a nice drive but nothing to right home about. A little more breakin could have helped.

Having two hands on the wheel with a good e-shift is looking better and better.

-Mr. Wigggles
Old 08-21-01, 05:08 AM
brads
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I couldn't agree more

I did the same thing, and I couldn't seem to see any power advantage over the tiptronic... I have driven stick all my life.. in all my cars..

I am ready for something new and cool like tip..

l8r