IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Acura-TL.com again.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-01, 02:42 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by BlackShadow
Here comes the TL defender again. First of all, the thread about the TL vs. IS300 was just about racing. The punk in the is300 was instigating and SSS just put him in his place. THAT'S IT! But somehow things got out of control and all hell broke loose. I found it amusing that TedC was defending the IS but NO IS owners were there to defend their own car. BTW, I helped TedC out so it's cool. GlobeCLK, it's just like me here when I was sticking up for my TL and everybody jumped on me. It's just natural that if you go on to someone else's turf, you have to be prepared to take the heat. Every forum have their share of DIE-HARD fans just like a few of you.

But then I come back here and there goes the TL bashing again. What's with you guys and TL bashing? If you guys know the GS is in a different league then why even bother bashing the TL. Like a few people said already, this is getting old. If you beat someone on the street then other people should just accept it and move on. Why should there be a need to make up excuses?

Remember, a good driver behind a decent car will ALWAYS beat a bad driver behind a fast car.

BTW, I heard that the guys over at the IS forum hates you guys here. Is it true?

BlackShadow what you said it very true. Of course a TL driver would defend his car in any forum, just like u and me and everyone else. It's just that, what I saw at the TL forum are rude and ruthless words and phrases like "IS300 is one expensive Corolla" and "I hate Lexus" and "Lexus sucks" all etc. You don't see that around here. No one said TL sucks or Acura sucks or anything. That's childish. no no.

People bash you? I think they disagree but certainly not bashing. I believe what you say and the words you said comes out from a TL owner. ok that's great, we get different opinions, but no bashing here I must say.

It's OKAY to stick up for your car, but I believe blindly accusing other cars and manufacturers is over the line. (I assure everyone, blackshadow doesn't now.) When someone here says the TL is just like one expensive Accord, would you say NO THEY'RE NOT THE SAME THING AT ALL? Yes they share parts. Yes they're very alike. TL has more power and luxury, and costs more. So what? I don't see what's wrong.

ES300 is based on Camry, so it's one expensive Camry. OK so what? ES300 cost more and uses more luxury and better materials. You pay for what you get. What's wrong with that.

I don't consider calling TL a souped-up Accord something bad. That's just the way it is. GS300 shares the same platform with Crown Majesta. so? My car's not one heavy luxury cruiser.
Old 08-23-01, 02:47 PM
AKRY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking TL Defender #2... :D

Hm... isn't ES300 also consider as ENTRY-level luxury sedan?? And it share plateform with Camry, so does it make it a lesser car?? Hm.. RX300 shares plateform with Camry as well....

Plateform sharing is very common now amoung auto makers... it's one fast way to save developement costs. Mercedes SLK/CLK shares plateform with last gen C-Class, does that make it a lesser car?? Current S-Class uses E-Class plateform... so, it's not an S-Class then??

Blah... give me reasons why FWD = No Handling?? Because it understeers?? M5 has massy understeer when pushed hard, so it's "NO Handling" as well??

Go drive a Lotus Elan, if you haven't... and then tell me how "FWD" does it feel......

IS300 is a nice car, and so are the rest of Lexus cars..... but there are still weakness... but $47K CDN for a SUB-Compact?? Come on, compare to GS430 VS 540i(which is pretty good competition, and good value), IS300 is priced a bit too high.....

P.S. FWD = No Handling is just stereo-type thinking..... FWD, RWD, AWD all have their own strength and weakness.... for example, when coming out of a corner and into straight line, FWD driver can simply nail down the throttle as the driving-wheels are PULLING the car, not PUSHING as in RWD, which driver would have to watch out for the tail getting loose.....

Andy Kuo
Old 08-23-01, 03:13 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: TL Defender #2... :D

Originally posted by AKRY
Hm... isn't ES300 also consider as ENTRY-level luxury sedan?? And it share plateform with Camry, so does it make it a lesser car?? Hm.. RX300 shares plateform with Camry as well....

Plateform sharing is very common now amoung auto makers... it's one fast way to save developement costs. Mercedes SLK/CLK shares plateform with last gen C-Class, does that make it a lesser car?? Current S-Class uses E-Class plateform... so, it's not an S-Class then??

Blah... give me reasons why FWD = No Handling?? Because it understeers?? M5 has massy understeer when pushed hard, so it's "NO Handling" as well??

Go drive a Lotus Elan, if you haven't... and then tell me how "FWD" does it feel......

IS300 is a nice car, and so are the rest of Lexus cars..... but there are still weakness... but $47K CDN for a SUB-Compact?? Come on, compare to GS430 VS 540i(which is pretty good competition, and good value), IS300 is priced a bit too high.....

P.S. FWD = No Handling is just stereo-type thinking..... FWD, RWD, AWD all have their own strength and weakness.... for example, when coming out of a corner and into straight line, FWD driver can simply nail down the throttle as the driving-wheels are PULLING the car, not PUSHING as in RWD, which driver would have to watch out for the tail getting loose.....

Andy Kuo

I never said that platform sharing is bad did I Plus the TL and Accord shares more than just the platform (49% to be exact), but that doesn't make TL less of a car just more of an Accord. I don't see what's so bad about it. Do you?

47CDN for subcompact is bad....... why is it? Size and price doesn't always match you know. 18 wheelers cost more than Ferraris? It's a nice subcompact, and it's well worth the money. What else can you get around that price range that has the great characteristics?

FF = bad handling is a stereotype arright, because there are VERY FEW FF cars that handle well. ITR and CTR are 2 of the best FF cars out there and they do handle well. But most likely a FF car won't, they're not all Type Rs.

Most more expensive cars (sports cars, luxury cars, super cars, etc.) all use either FR, MR, RR, or 4wd but never FF. Why is that? There must be a reason.

And I think most people would prefer pushing a car rather than pulling a car. It feels different.
Old 08-23-01, 06:51 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by BlackShadow
BTW, I heard that the guys over at the IS forum hates you guys here. Is it true?
Woh!! where did you hear that from? I spent as much time to defend IS300 as to my own GS430. If what you said is true, I would be seriously disappointed at IS guys. Talking about Whipping!

anywayz, by being on the TL forum quite a few times (AkA GS430) the threads about TL-s VS GS400/430, IS300, SC300/400 were all good at first, then somehow like you said, one person triggered the heat, then all hell broke loose. We all know that it is just an acceleartion comparison, but there really ARE some morons start saying ""OH I felt my TL-s is much faster, oh GS400 clocked at 6.3, OH, I felt my TL is a better choice" Sigh....

All in ALL, we all luv our cars, but that doesn't give us any right to cheap talk, (means without facts) other great cars. Keep it objective. peace

PS. TLS is a tight sporty ride.
Old 08-23-01, 11:36 PM
AKRY
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Blah, acceleration number means nothing... and whoever says TLS can take on GS400/GS430/SC430 must have suffered a serious brain dmg...... though SC400 VS TLS would be a close call...

Toyota/Lexus DOES have better fit/finish IMO, which Honda/Acura really needs to catch up......

Andy Kuo
Old 08-24-01, 12:01 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by AKRY
Blah, acceleration number means nothing... and whoever says TLS can take on GS400/GS430/SC430 must have suffered a serious brain dmg...... though SC400 VS TLS would be a close call...

Toyota/Lexus DOES have better fit/finish IMO, which Honda/Acura really needs to catch up......

Andy Kuo
Isn't LS430 around 6.3 or 6.4? That should be close with a TL-S. But it's a V8 like GS430 and SC430 so you really can't put them together.

Toyota has better fit/finish/quality because that's the goal of the founder of Toyota (Kiichiro Toyoda). Solid, well-built cars that comes out nearly perfect off the assembly lines.

Soichiro Honda's idea was producing the best engines. So they've been concentrating on the development of powerful and efficient engines, therefore let of on quality control and putting the cars together.

That's why Toyotas have better quality now, and Hondas have better N/A engines.
Old 08-24-01, 11:08 AM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

Isn't LS430 around 6.3 or 6.4? That should be close with a TL-S. But it's a V8 like GS430 and SC430 so you really can't put them together.

Toyota has better fit/finish/quality because that's the goal of the founder of Toyota (Kiichiro Toyoda). Solid, well-built cars that comes out nearly perfect off the assembly lines.

Soichiro Honda's idea was producing the best engines. So they've been concentrating on the development of powerful and efficient engines, therefore let of on quality control and putting the cars together.

That's why Toyotas have better quality now, and Hondas have better N/A engines.
Honda does not have any or any major quality control issue just like Toyota. They too are extremely reliablie just like the top 3 major jap car makers.
Old 08-24-01, 01:34 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DROD2045

Honda does not have any or any major quality control issue just like Toyota. They too are extremely reliablie just like the top 3 major jap car makers.
yeah that's true. still the top 2.

I rank Honda over Nissan for some reason.