IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Odd comparo, but which one would be the better choice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 05:59 PM
Topshelf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd comparo, but which one would be the better choice?

First off, hey everyone. I haven't been on this board since I sold my wifes LS400 a few years back. Anyway, I'm in the market for a new car now and have narrowed it down to 2. And these are very different cars to compare, so please don't flame me as they both have their strong points. I'm looking at either a 2006 Mazda3 5 door Grand Touring, or a 2002 IS300 Sportcross. After years of driving crappy assed cars and trucks, I want something that will give me some comfort and luxury along with a decent amount of performance. Not looking to break any speed records, so overkill power is not a concern. Just looking for a nice, relatively luxury (heated leather seats, moonroof, smooth ride and all the normal nice new bells and whistles), fun, sporty, comfortable wagon that can haul my 2 boxers around while I enjoy my beautiful car. I've driven the Mazda3, and it's really a nice little car. For $20k you would be amazed at the options in that thing, plus it's really a little sports car hidden in there. I just today thought about the IS300 and started doing some research. I love the looks of them, and and the 215hp would be a nice jump over the 160hp in the Mazda. But again, power isn't everything. Mazda would be brand new with a 4 year warranty, where the Lexus is 4 years old, but a Lexus. Both have a manumatic tranny since I will be doing an auto, but I don't know if I like the setup of the E-shift on the Lexus compared to the standard shifter version on the 3. FWD vs. RWD could go either way. Steering wheel controls on the 3, none on the IS. IS has power seats and traction control which is absent on the 3. It's really a bunch of little things for the most part other than the RWD and traction control. Price is the same more or less too. So I gues it comes down to RWD and TC vs. 4 year warranty. I know it's odd, but does anyone at all have any input on this? I'm hoping to check out an IS tomorrow if it's not snowing. I guess my big concern on the IS is that everything I read says the interior is low end for Lexus. OK, sorry for the long confusing post, guess all the research is starting to make me a little insane.
Old 03-01-06, 08:18 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Topshelf
I guess my big concern on the IS is that everything I read says the interior is low end for Lexus. OK, sorry for the long confusing post, guess all the research is starting to make me a little insane.
Hehe no worries. The decision is simple. The IS is the low end car for the Lexus spectrum so yes it will have a low end interior in comparison to it's labelmates. However, the interior of the IS is definitely high end in comparison to a vehicle label that is only equal to any premium Toyota brand offering. Perhaps our decision has too much bias? I can tell you from personal experience that my 2004 IS300 Sedan's interior is very well laid out and is very functional to other vehicles out there. If fuel economy is a big deciding factor, the IS300 is not the choice to make. That would be a big factor in my decision making.
Old 03-02-06, 06:14 AM
Topshelf
Driver

Thanks flipside. I see your point about a 4 year old $40k vs. a new $20k car as far as "low end" goes. I was planning on checking out an IS today, but this dam winter crap just keeps lingering. I'm really torn on this decision. Both cost the same, both are supposed to be very fun to drive, both have enough utility for my needs and both have a manumatic trans. So I guess I need to decide if more power and worse gas milage is worth the trade-off for the Lexus experience.
Old 03-02-06, 01:10 PM
Topshelf
Driver

Well, just got back from testing out the IS, and I can easily say it's not for me. Way too small, pretty vervous feeling, and no room at all for my dogs. I did check out a 2001 325xi wagon though that might fit the bill. Time to find a bimmer forum. Thanks for the help flip.
Old 03-02-06, 10:25 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Well, just got back from testing out the IS, and I can easily say it's not for me. Way too small, pretty vervous feeling, and no room at all for my dogs. I did check out a 2001 325xi wagon though that might fit the bill. Time to find a bimmer forum. Thanks for the help flip.
No problem, good luck on your next choice! You may want to look at the Audi A4 Wagon as an option as well.
Old 03-02-06, 10:35 PM
LexFather

GOod luck.

I recommened www.bimmerforums.com, I am a member there as well