IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Tragedy

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-01, 10:38 PM
IS_3OO_KID
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tragedy

So I neglected to say that Im pimpin' my second IS300 ... The first one was totaled, when some ***** decided to run a light at 55 mph and take off the front end. The Air bags didnt deploy and luckily I walked away with just a few bruises and a sore back.

Well tonight Im on the way to work in the 2nd lex and some 4 foot nothing *****, driving a chevy suburban decides shes going to parellel park. With out checking her rearview she backs up into my poor IS300. police roll up and file a report.

This is where life says F-U to me...

11pm rolls by and Im still at work... I decide that I should eat something. Me and a fellow employee head towards Taco bell to score some excellent munchies. Sitting at the light right in front of TBELL. I can almost taste the sweet taste of my BIG beef burrito supreme. When all of a sudden a 2000 acura tl 3.2 slams head on into my already broke IS300. Shaddy dude gets out and is hella-wasted and begs for me not to call the cops. I say F-that and tell him he can make a run for it if he wants...and he does. He hauls *** away, little did he know We already had his plate number. Well I called the police from my cell piece and explain my tradgedy. They catch him 2miles down the road and he gets arrested for DWI and leaving the scene of an accident.

My Question is What the HELL is up with the airbags? how fast/hard does the impact have to be? I thought it was like 15-20mph and above for deployment? Should I take this up with Lexus?
Old 09-20-01, 10:50 PM
Gabe
Driver School Candidate

Very sorry to hear about your numerous accidents - and please do take up the airbag issue.
Old 09-21-01, 08:22 AM
SophieSleeps
Pole Position

Default airbags

If i can remember correctly, for a frontal collision, the airbags only go off if 2 sensor are hit...

Plus, after your second accident, one of the sensors may have been damaged thus not functional for the DUI dude...

The airbag doesn't really have to go off every time you get into an accident, only specific scenarios.

Regardless, you should have it checked.
Old 09-21-01, 09:24 AM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

damn...what bad luck you have sorry to hear about the incidents.
Old 09-23-01, 12:19 PM
N10S1
Driver

Unhappy

DUDE THAT SUCKS!!!! Maybe you should get a big ol' F150 for commuting to work in and leave the IS300 for safer roads. But then again, that's like letting terrorist intimidating you to change your way of life. Fu ck - it! Just get plently of insurance and make sure your IS airbags work in the future.
Old 09-24-01, 08:50 AM
BimmerLexus
Rookie

Default AirBags

First, you have to be moving...not at a light. So yes you can be parked and someone hit you doing 60 mph and NO airBags.

When moving (because Toyota had a problem with people hitting the steering wheel in anger and airbags deploying) you must be doing 25 to 30 mph.

I've seen a TL in a frontal collision and they take a hit very well (heavey car). The guy walked away with ease...only damage was from fire wall forward. My 2000 ES didn't do as well! Couldn't open any doors and power failed! Driver and passenger windows shattered...Now My wife drives a TL...I still have my SC400
Old 09-24-01, 09:06 AM
Static911

crap man, after reading your post, i'm kinda scared of driving...

static911
Old 09-24-01, 02:53 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

is your car Red? you know Bulls don't like that color
Old 09-25-01, 07:31 AM
edawg
Pole Position

Lightbulb um...what airbags..

i dont know anything abotu airbags but what i know is that you have to be more careful because with the luck you have you should get a hummer or somehting of that nature..glad to know your okay tho sorry abotu your car ..
Old 09-28-01, 07:12 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

WoW, thats crazy... sorry to hear that happen to you... aslong as your ok now... Your luck was worse then mine... i know how you feel man... damn
Old 09-28-01, 08:36 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Well, I thought I was having a run of bad luck. Sorry to hear about your IS300s. You must feel like someone is out to get you or something. Good luck getting your car straightened out.

-Nick
Old 10-01-01, 03:24 PM
Lex Rider DK1
Driver School Candidate

hi sorry to hear bout ur IS glad ur ok...i hit a telephone pole head on in slick rain on a blind curve after a f'in racoon crossed my path....my IS is being fixed right now nothtin that bad but my airbags deployed instatly and so did the pasenger everyone was wearing seatbelts so no injuries
my regards
Old 10-02-01, 12:43 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

lex rider - next time run over that raccoon . Hope i don't get flamed by the animal lovers . Flame suit on .

I'd rather run over the coon then mess up my ride or hurt myself by hitting something like what you hit , a telephone pole or worse swerving and hitting the oncoming traffic .

Now if its a deer or a big dog then i would try to avoid it . Well glad to hear no one got hurt.

Peace out and flame suit off .
Old 10-02-01, 04:53 PM
Lex Rider DK1
Driver School Candidate

my friend u bring up something very true about the racoon...i should have ran it over but the truth was that i could have gone around it....that actuality behind the fact of the accident was that after having my IS for 7 months i abused that car...the car handles superbly so why not take turns a little fast and why not see how quick we can do 0-60 and why not race my friends bmw 328i the fact was that after 7 months or burning rubber there was no tread to save me on that rainy night...i neglected to check my tire tread and my tires were basically bald....had they not have been so bald it would have ben a different story...but yes you are right by all means i should have runn the racoon over...

The lesson that anyone who reads this should get is that if your gonna beat on your car because of its excellent handling and preformance do not neglect to check your tires and make sure that that are to their full potential espescially is wet weather with lots of curves..

-Angelo
Old 10-04-01, 05:57 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AirBags

Originally posted by BimmerLexus
First, you have to be moving...not at a light. So yes you can be parked and someone hit you doing 60 mph and NO airBags.

When moving (because Toyota had a problem with people hitting the steering wheel in anger and airbags deploying) you must be doing 25 to 30 mph.

I've seen a TL in a frontal collision and they take a hit very well (heavey car). The guy walked away with ease...only damage was from fire wall forward. My 2000 ES didn't do as well! Couldn't open any doors and power failed! Driver and passenger windows shattered...Now My wife drives a TL...I still have my SC400
That's odd. The TL is built off the Accord and the ES is, of course, built off the Camry. The Accord didn't do as well in tests as the Camry did, so therefore the ES should out-perform the TL. Strange. There had to have been a reason for that.

Quick Reply: Tragedy