IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Keeping It Cool

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-01, 02:10 AM
lexus tuned
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping It Cool

I saw some posts about heat shields and boxes around air intakes, such as the SRT and the A51, to keep the engine heat from heating the Intake Tubing thus keeping the incoming air cool. Well, when I was in my hotrodding days with my camaro I used some Header Insulation Tape to keep engine teperatures to a minimum...I was wondering if anyone has already done this and if it's working for him/her.

I found a link to a product: http://www.cmwraceparts.com/page84.htm

just in case anybody is interested in this "cheap" method of Keeping It Cool under the hood. And, although it will cover the nice steel tubing of the Air Intake and maybe the SRT logo, I was thinking that wrapping the Intake Tubing itself with the Insulation Tape would really prevent heat from coming in. The heat shield at the base of the Air Filter is probably a must...I think this piece is absolutely required.

What are your thoughts on my suggestion(s)?
Old 10-06-01, 06:34 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Summary: I don't think you'll gain anything by wrapping the tubing; do some searches on 'powder coating' and you'll come across the comments in the that basically, the pipe is not a concern for heat transfer to teh air inside....

I was going to PC mine for color and finish reasons (GS4), but no thermodynamic reasons really.

Good Luck
Old 10-06-01, 03:53 PM
lexus tuned
Driver School Candidate

thanks for your input.....i'll check out powder coating. What are your thoughts about wrapping the header itself, what the insulation tape was originally meant for....
Old 10-07-01, 08:45 AM
Grey_is300
Driver

There are some pros and cons to wrapping the manifold. Since it is a exhaust mainifold and not headers it is a little harder to wrap with the manifold being webbed together. THen you have the problem of one of the Cats being right up on the manifold. Because of this you can not get a good wrap. Some people say that it will deterierate the manifold a little quicker. THis is tru but if you are wrapping them ten you should not be too worried about warrante. I have found soem narrow header wrap that will allow it to go around the manifold alot easier then the bigger wrap and might try it myself. However I have a extra set of manifolds so I am not too worried about it weakening the manifold.
Old 10-07-01, 10:37 AM
lexus tuned
Driver School Candidate

Grey_is300,
Can you post the source for the thinner insulation wrap, I'd like to check that out.
Old 10-07-01, 01:09 PM
blownIS200
Pole Position

Default exhaust wrap

i used exhaust wrap on my race preped Rover(an english make) it improved my power output and kept the engine bay cooler,but i really needed it it was a heavily tuned car