IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Sup all, IS300 & STi owner saying hi!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-06, 04:36 PM
WRXtrance
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sup all, IS300 & STi owner saying hi!

Hey guys =)

New to the IS300 and new to this forum, so thought I'd say hi and ask a couple of questions. I don't see any FAQs readily available, so if there is one and my questions are too newbish, please point me in the right direction. I'm a frequent member of a lot of Subaru forums, so I know how some people get annoyed with the same questions asked over and over ^_^

I just purchased a 2001 white IS300 as my daily driver. So far I really like it, and it's a lot easier on gas than my Tundra =p

Is there anything I should be overly concerned about as far as maintenance goes? The car has just over 70k miles, and I'm about to go through the whole manual just to get better acquainted with the car. Are there any other good Lexus forums with good information on these cars?

I don't plan to modify the engine of this car. POSSIBLY some exterior body modification, rims/tires, brake upgrades, but I really want to leave this thing somewhat stock since it's my daily driver. I own a heavily modified STi, so that allows me to satisfy my modification disease haha

The STi has a fully built and bored 2.8L race longblock (forged internals, titanium valve springs/retainers, race bearings, stage 3 headwork, 16mm head studs to allow 60+PSI of boost, custom crankshaft built for 800awhp, yadda yadda), GT35R turbo setup, tons of supporting engine mods, Exedy twin plate clutch w/ carbon/kevlar disc, Tein Flex coilovers with EDFC (in car adjustability), in car PC hooked up through a touch screen for wireless internet, Itunes, etc., TurboXS DTEC (digital boost / EGT gauge displayed through a Game Boy Advance), Powerslot slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Goodridge lines, etc. Basically, the only things left stock on this car right now are the interior, the frame, the axles, driveshaft and gears (probably not for long though hah).

Anyway, here are some pics!

And the obligatory glamor shot of Frankenstein:

Oh, one more question I can think of. IF I was to start modifying the engine of this car, what does it react well to? Engine management, intake, exhaust? SEE LOOK, I'm at it again already haha

Last edited by WRXtrance; 09-08-06 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-08-06, 06:23 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the CL forum.
For a specific IS forum check my.is (formerly is300.net).
Old 09-08-06, 08:40 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

how fast does yoru sti run
Old 09-08-06, 09:01 PM
WRXtrance
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ssmoked
how fast does yoru sti run
No clue, it hasn't seen the track yet since the motor build. Once it gets dialed in on the dyno here in a week or so I'm going to try to get it up to a track and find out.

I do know that the previous owner, on the stock block with the same turbo kit and a road tune by him @ 350awhp, drove it to a 12.1@1xx.xx

It was tuned to 392awhp when I had it before the 4th piston ring cracked, so I guess on paper it could have been an 11second car.

Who knows what it will be on the new setup, we're expecting 500+whp on pump gas and who knows on C16 The block is built for a LOT more than that, so really I'll just be scratching the surface!
Old 09-09-06, 01:25 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by WRXtrance
I do know that the previous owner, on the stock block with the same turbo kit and a road tune by him @ 350awhp, drove it to a 12.1@1xx.xx

It was tuned to 392awhp when I had it before the 4th piston ring cracked, so I guess on paper it could have been an 11second car.

running 12 with only 350hp?? and 392hp to run 11?? from my days of racing cars and bikes, my knowledge always tells me that a car such as a Supra must have at least a good 700+hps to get even with a bike at the quarter which runs 10.8. I might be wrong about sti, but love to see your drag slip
Old 09-09-06, 02:17 PM
agit8or
Rookie

Like a timeslip is the end all proof of something. Anybody can produce a time slip of anything. Unless you see it actually run the numbers, you either believe it or call it BS. You on the other hand have a sig that quotes a GSXR 0-60 in 3.4 and a 1/4 mile time of 10.8. Considering the best times I've seen for a stock 2006 GSXR600 and a PRO testing one was 10.641 @ 132.71 and 3.93 0-60, I'd say you must quite a bit of work done and are quite the rider. So, I'd watch what you start calling BS.
Old 09-09-06, 09:55 PM
WRXtrance
Driver School Candidate

There's a big difference between an 11.9 and an 11 flat

FWIW, here's a video of the company who made the turbo kit on my car, at their test and tune on their stage 3 kit running 15psi. The previous owner tracked his car at 18psi, the motor blew after I had it tuned to 24psi.

http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Produ...iRun-Nov12.wmv

Here is a copy of two of its timeslips:

And here is a copy of its dyno sheet at 14psi (1/4mile run was at 15):

If UR was able to run a 12.1x on a stage 3 setup, it wouldn't surprise me that the previous owner could match that run on their stage 4 setup (bigger turbo, wastegate, FMIC, etc.) at 18psi. But, I couldn't say for sure since I didn't watch him run it at the strip I could bug him or probably search on the Subaru forums for one if you really want to see it, but there's no reason really for me to doubt him.

Ever heard the old adage about Supras? What's the difference between a 300whp Supra and a 700whp Supra? Nothing, they both run 12s =p

There are tons of people who modify Supras, Cobras, etc. and don't see the big picture of upgrading suspension mods so they can actually hook up the tires with that amount of whp. That's why those STis can pull off decent 1/4 times with relatively low horsepower and a good driver... they can get traction ^_^

Do you want to see what a 700+whp STi can do? Check out the Big Valley guys from Puerto Rico:
http://media.putfile.com/bigvalley
Old 09-09-06, 10:18 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by agit8or
Like a timeslip is the end all proof of something. Anybody can produce a time slip of anything. Unless you see it actually run the numbers, you either believe it or call it BS. You on the other hand have a sig that quotes a GSXR 0-60 in 3.4 and a 1/4 mile time of 10.8. Considering the best times I've seen for a stock 2006 GSXR600 and a PRO testing one was 10.641 @ 132.71 and 3.93 0-60, I'd say you must quite a bit of work done and are quite the rider. So, I'd watch what you start calling BS.
just a power commander and a D&D pipe, nothing that big. u ride? cant figure out if the last comment was supposed to be sarcastic or.........

Last edited by ssmoked; 09-09-06 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-09-06, 10:19 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by WRXtrance
There's a big difference between an 11.9 and an 11 flat

FWIW, here's a video of the company who made the turbo kit on my car, at their test and tune on their stage 3 kit running 15psi. The previous owner tracked his car at 18psi, the motor blew after I had it tuned to 24psi.

http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Produ...iRun-Nov12.wmv

Here is a copy of two of its timeslips:

And here is a copy of its dyno sheet at 14psi (1/4mile run was at 15):

If UR was able to run a 12.1x on a stage 3 setup, it wouldn't surprise me that the previous owner could match that run on their stage 4 setup (bigger turbo, wastegate, FMIC, etc.) at 18psi. But, I couldn't say for sure since I didn't watch him run it at the strip I could bug him or probably search on the Subaru forums for one if you really want to see it, but there's no reason really for me to doubt him.

Ever heard the old adage about Supras? What's the difference between a 300whp Supra and a 700whp Supra? Nothing, they both run 12s =p

There are tons of people who modify Supras, Cobras, etc. and don't see the big picture of upgrading suspension mods so they can actually hook up the tires with that amount of whp. That's why those STis can pull off decent 1/4 times with relatively low horsepower and a good driver... they can get traction ^_^

Do you want to see what a 700+whp STi can do? Check out the Big Valley guys from Puerto Rico:
http://media.putfile.com/bigvalley

nice post up the video when u take the sti to the track
Old 09-10-06, 08:09 AM
agit8or
Rookie

Why is it so hard for you to believe an AWD car without a ton of power is in the low 12's? Note the low trap speed? It is an AWD car, not like traction is as much of an issue as a FWD or even a RWD car. So you actually have been 10.8 in the 1/4 with your bike, or are you just quoting performance numbers from somewhere? As far as the last comment being sarcastic, I'll let you figure that out.
Old 09-10-06, 12:17 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Why is it so hard for you to believe an AWD car without a ton of power is in the low 12's? Note the low trap speed? It is an AWD car, not like traction is as much of an issue as a FWD or even a RWD car. So you actually have been 10.8 in the 1/4 with your bike, or are you just quoting performance numbers from somewhere? As far as the last comment being sarcastic, I'll let you figure that out.
do you own a wRX yourself or some?? unless you have a StI that is hooked up to the infiniti, and you races religiously, you dont really have a say in what i should believe in or anything for that matter. and yes i do PRO racing everyweek and yes i have easily hit 10.8 or BETTER (depending on the FL weather) at the quarter. now tell me something, are you just a poser that is trying to justify your opinions just by READING car/motorcycle magazines??

Last edited by ssmoked; 09-10-06 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-10-06, 02:59 PM
agit8or
Rookie

I'm sure you've hit 10.8 with just a pipe and power commander. So what track did you run this at? OSW, Gville? If I don't know someone that races at the track, I'd like to see it myself. Yes, I'm a total poser. My last Mustang put down 502/516 and went 11.30 @ 124 before that dyno and tune. My Mustang before that put down 478/462 and went 11.80's. My GN before those two cars went 11.40's. Shall I go on about the other 6 Mustangs I've owned or shall I go into the slower imports? I'm about to drop a single turbo USDM GTE and 6 speed in my IS300 now. Any more information you'd like to know? Just let me know where these runs are taking place, I have a few friends that are interested in seeing this as well.
Old 09-10-06, 05:30 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

I'm sure you've hit 10.8 with just a pipe and power commander. So what track did you run this at? OSW, Gville? If I don't know someone that races at the track, I'd like to see it myself. Yes, I'm a total poser. My last Mustang put down 502/516 and went 11.30 @ 124 before that dyno and tune. My Mustang before that put down 478/462 and went 11.80's. My GN before those two cars went 11.40's. Shall I go on about the other 6 Mustangs I've owned or shall I go into the slower imports? I'm about to drop a single turbo USDM GTE and 6 speed in my IS300 now. Any more information you'd like to know? Just let me know where these runs are taking place, I have a few friends that are interested in seeing this as well.
bro, if you dont believe/think any decent rider/racer can hit 10.8 or less, you need to hit the track more often. it sound like you are pissed cause a bike is faster than cars. let my give you a crash course: BIKES ARE MADE TO BE FASTER THAN CARS!!!! either that or you are just pissed cause you can only ride in a CAGE. I got nothing to hide, I race at Bithlo speedway and Daytona occasionally. How old are you? did you pulled those results off the net again? PICS please!!! you claim that you went through well over 10+ cars already, are you just a kid that is bluffing on the net
Old 09-10-06, 05:38 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the board what part of VA you live in im in richmond.
Old 09-10-06, 08:24 PM
WRXtrance
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
Welcome to the board what part of VA you live in im in richmond.
Thanks! I live right outside of Leesburg, about 30mins from Winchester.

I have a couple of friends down from the Richmond area that are still going to JMU where I graduated a few years ago. I've heard there are some cool roads down in that area to drive on, I'll have to come down and check them out ^_^

Quick Reply: Sup all, IS300 & STi owner saying hi!