IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

What's this snow in Vancouver?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-06 | 09:01 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Default What's this snow in Vancouver?

Ok, little story time here.

In Vancouver, we rarely get snow, let alone any serious accumulation IN the city; snow generally stays on the hills with the exception of maybe like 2 days a year and even then I can count on one hand the number of times more than one inch has stuck around for more than a day.

My car was deffinately due for new tires already so I had decided that at the end of Nov, I would get new all seasons (as winter is a rare occurance). Saturday, it started to snow (if you want the Saturday story here's that link http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250620) so I was house bound for nearly five days.

Today since I'd heard that main roads were clear I called one of my tuner shops that's really good at getting good stuff @ good prices and fast and they actually happened to have tires so I was all like *sweet* ... around noon O looked outside; not snowing, this is good, took a mini walk to the end of my cul-d-sac to examin that road, it's in good condition, this is also good, so I decided to go for it.

Getting off my street took two tries and that really should have been an indicator to me, but I'm stubborn and I couldn't stand being stuck @ home anymore. Off I went.

Under normal circumstances, the place I was going to is 30 minutes away. Today it took me over an hour to get close because after about 10 minutes of driving it started to snow again (like, what the hell, more snow?). I contemplated turning back but I decided I was already out and that I could do this, I could make it to the shop and get tires and everything would be cool. The drive went alright, I'm a confidant and good driver who's had many different driving experiences and never met anything that was so bad I couldn't make it; but this was actually quite scary with my completely bald summer race tires. In hind sight (which is totally 20/20 of course) I maybe shouldn't have gone today.

ANYhow, I got to where I was trying to go and decided to turn around in a parking lot so I would be on the correct side of the street instead of trying to turn left accross 3 lanes of traffic over a snow mound. Well hey, there's a parking lot I think I'll use this one; I must have picked the iciest parking lot around, getting into the parking lot was no problem, but getting out? Not a chance.

The following people tried to help me get out: 2 guys from the garage, the tile guy (whos loading bay I had slid into), another guy from a near by business, my uncle who's in construction. Thank you all for your efforts. I eventually called a tow truck who was like 'oh, no problem' but I did need the rear wheel dolly extra wheels (Mr. tow-truck concured that I was definately stuck in my little car). He towed me about 4 blocks away to where I got my new tires on; BUT I did have to wait like and extra 2 hours because I missed my original appointment.

The trip home was uneventful, it started snowing again (like what is this ... in a minute were going to have had snow for a week, VERY rare) but I have tires now so it's all good.
Old 11-29-06 | 09:36 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Damn, so many stories from you!
Old 11-30-06 | 04:13 AM
KevinIS300
Driver School Candidate

Typically I would chime in and say "Hey, could have been worse...."
Not sure that would apply in this situation lol
Old 12-01-06 | 04:30 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

lol nope, the only way this woulda been worse is if id actually crashed ... that definately woulda been worse :P
Old 12-04-06 | 05:00 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

ok ... it got worse ... today i was leaving school and my BRAND NEW TIRES picked up a razor blade ... i heard the hissing and pulled over ... in the 10 minutes it took me to identify the issue and call for any type of help my tire was COMPLETELY FLAT

so angry ... so very very angry
Old 12-05-06 | 12:14 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
ok ... it got worse ... today i was leaving school and my BRAND NEW TIRES picked up a razor blade ... i heard the hissing and pulled over ... in the 10 minutes it took me to identify the issue and call for any type of help my tire was COMPLETELY FLAT

so angry ... so very very angry
oh cr@ppy timing eh
oh well at least u are safe and werent driving fast at the time

good to know u got it patched up
Old 12-05-06 | 10:36 AM
legomaniac
Pole Position

dude... checking the weather forecast is very good thing... it was all over the news that it was going to snow again on the 29th... good to hear nothing majorly bad happened tho...

i ordered nokians last monday, picked up tuesday nite, found that 1, the balance weights rubbed my brake caliper and 2, my stock lug nuts don't fit the winter wheels... drop'd off car wed morning (10:30-11) w/o incident (still have a good deal of tread on my summers, plus snow mode if ur friend on ice) and picked up car at 6:30 that nite AFTER 2 hrs of trudging around d/t trying to get around the dang skytrain outage

all i can say is: nokian FTW!!! i drove around wed 7ish and again 10:30ish and had no problems... woot!
Old 12-05-06 | 02:08 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

dude, legomaniac! good god, sux u had to take the stupid train, transit here totally sux, like your bus may or may not come ... train, only if theres no extreme weather ... i'm thru all this stupid w. my tires now i hope ... woulda been better w.o incedent ... hope there's no more stupid waiting for me :S

lol and now u need MY old winter rims

and as far as snow mode goes ... its kinda useless on ice or is that just me? anyone else find 'snow' is garbage on ice?

Last edited by Faymester; 12-05-06 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-14-06 | 03:12 PM
narfy
Lead Lap

my GS and snow mode with the VSC off and my michelin PA2's roxxors in snow, ice and pretty much anything else vancouver winters will throw my way...
Old 12-15-06 | 11:24 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

looks like im going to get to play w. my snow tires again ... my mum just told me there will probably be snow over night