IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Oh crap! is the new I35 serious threat ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-02, 06:14 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always thought it was Economy sedan too, thanks for the clarification there VQpower.
Old 01-05-02, 09:34 AM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Erfan
I think that the G in G35 is more than a coincedence, I think they are trying to mimic the GS series and take advantage of Lexus's marketing muscle and name brand. Just like AMD does with thier new XP processor, kind of a coincedence that it is named just like the new Microsoft XP operating system.

Thats ridiculous! G is from the G20. SO is it a coincidence that lexus gave the LS430 a 4.3 liter engine since the Benz S430 has one? LS430, S430...direct copy. please...
Old 01-05-02, 11:21 AM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone is going to have to tell the car salesmen that E stands for executive.
Old 01-05-02, 04:22 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DROD2045

Thats ridiculous! G is from the G20. SO is it a coincidence that lexus gave the LS430 a 4.3 liter engine since the Benz S430 has one? LS430, S430...direct copy. please...
Just stating my take on the matter
Old 01-06-02, 01:40 AM
Christobol
Advanced

Hey guys. I went to the LA Autoshow tonight and was able to see the new G35. The picture that was posted earlier is a great angle for the car. It is very deceiving. I thought it was going to be a great looking car from the picture, but after seeing it person I'm not very impressed.
First of all it's a fairly large car. Second it doesn't have any really unique styling. Third it doesn't look sporty. When I saw it I instantly thought of a cross between an Altima, and a Maxima. It wasn't in keeping with the 2002 G20 which has a pretty sporty look to it. If you guys get the chance to roll over there tonight tell us what you thought of it. I am glad I didn't wait until the car came out. Oh and I was also told that it won't officially be announced until next week in Chicago.
Old 01-06-02, 07:31 AM
Scrap
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the "in person" report, as I haven't seen one up close yet. I'm trying to get my girlfriend to wait on purchasing her car (she wants a new Passat - she's a complete VW freak ), and showed her a few pictures of the G35 and she liked it, but I guess we'll have to wait until we can see it in person to make a judgement... Since I occasionally drive her car, I'd really like her to get something that's pretty quick. All the pics I've seen so far though, I've liked...

Scrap.
Old 01-06-02, 08:56 AM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

G35 hasnt changed much from the XVL concept. I remember the XVL concept looking aggressive yet classy. We'll see sooner or later...
Old 01-06-02, 09:33 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Scrap,

How did your girl get started in The Peoples Car? I would see why she would like them, they are inexpensive and they look really small and cute to girls.
Old 01-06-02, 11:30 AM
Christobol
Advanced

Another thing that was at the show was the Passat W8. They haven't released numbers yet, but it's supposed to be pretty quick. I don't it would be such a bad car to wait for too. The Passat W8 with 4motion should be NICE. It's obviously bigger than our cars which is good for most women, especially if they are expecting to have kids anytime during their ownership of the car.

So Scrap don't forget that car. It's definately a contender now. Oh and I don't know what the price will be on it, they didn't have any info about that.
Old 01-06-02, 04:50 PM
Scrap
Driver School Candidate

How did your girl get started in The Peoples Car?
Well, she's on her second Jetta, and she just really likes VWs... It's going to be pretty hard to convince her to not get the Passat, but I'm sure going to try! (Not that the Passat is a bad car)

Another thing that was at the show was the Passat W8. They haven't released numbers yet, but it's supposed to be pretty quick. I don't it would be such a bad car to wait for too. The Passat W8 with 4motion should be NICE. It's obviously bigger than our cars which is good for most women, especially if they are expecting to have kids anytime during their ownership of the car.
Oh and I don't know what the price will be on it, they didn't have any info about that.
I've heard that the Passat W8 is going to be $35K! :eek: It's a nice enough car, but in that price range, I think there are much nicer cars available! And I hope she isn't planning on having any kids anytime soon!

Scrap.
Old 01-06-02, 09:26 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

My personal choice would be a 98 or 99 GS300. It is a great balance between the look and feel of the 400 but better gas mileage and lower price tag. The Passat is a well engineered car, I have yet to have anyone not like a Volkswagen product. What more do you expect from your German supermen
Old 01-06-02, 09:59 PM
Christobol
Advanced

I hope she isn't planning on having any soon, just as mine isn't. My girlfriend just bought an Audi A4. She considered the Passat, but though that it wasn't refined enough, and that the 4Motion didn't come in a stick. How rare is it to find a girl that likes stick? Let's just say I'm stoked. Anyway, I know she would like the W8, but only it if comes in a stick.

The price of the car at 35k isn't so bad, only if they give it a nice interior. YOu can talk the 35k down to $32,500 I'm sure. They might even bring it out lower than that because it's such a big jump from the V6 Passat. We'll see though.
Old 01-14-02, 03:26 PM
orbital517
Driver School Candidate

Default HP isn't really everything in a car........

I currently own an 2001 Audi A4 and my fiance drives a 2002 BMW 330ci. When I was in the market for a new car, I test drove my sister's IS300, the Audi, BMW, and InfiniteI35. If horsepower is the only thing important to you, buy a Mustang Cobra and fix it up to get 4oo+ HP. Horsepower in my opion is not everything.......although my A4 only has 190hp, I feel that it is much more refined than the IS300, BMW. Have you felt the doors on the I35? They feel as light and cheap as Honda accord doors. (sorry if there are any accord owners here) Between the 4 cars....I rated handling.

1. Audi A4 (has quattro all wheel drive)
2. BMW 330
3. IS300
4. I35

I think the IS300 is kind of a Love/Hate kind of car. Either you LOVE the exterior styling (mostly the tail lights), or you absolutely hate it. Most of my friend's think my sister's car is a 4-door Honda Civic with aftermarket lights. I myself like the IS300 too, but after weighing comfort, refinement, looks, handling, etc. I went with the A4 because it had the entire package. If horsepower was everything.......BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc. would sell no cars. Even the Acura TL(type s) has 260 HP, but IMO is nothing compared to the other makers when it comes to refinement, handling, etc.

Just my observation.

= )
Old 01-14-02, 04:00 PM
Sentinel
Pole Position

hmm
is300 5spd stomps all over the a4 handling wise. and for build quality the a4 is probably the bottom of the list.
Old 01-14-02, 04:07 PM
orbital517
Driver School Candidate

Have you driven the A4? It sounds to me that you never have because if you drive them side by side. (I literally drove an A4 with the Audi sales man in it to the Lexus dealership and test drove them, one after the other about 3 times), hands down IMO the A4 spanked the IS300. The quattro all-wheel drive sticks much better than the rear-wheel drive of both the IS and the 330. And what does a 5sp have to do with handling?

Quick Reply: Oh crap! is the new I35 serious threat ?