IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Oh crap! is the new I35 serious threat ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-01, 08:33 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

amen!

SR
Old 12-21-01, 10:54 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the I35 is geared for people in the 50's or so. The car is so bland looking. While it does have 255 under the hood, it's not put to good use by the auto tranny. I test drove it while I was deciding what car I wanted, and I decided that it's just WAY too tame. It's a rather boring car really.
Old 12-22-01, 03:31 PM
VQPOWER
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Compared to the ES300? Yes. I think the new I35 looks very classy in top-line trim. The new ES300 in comparison looks like something out of a cartoon, it is fugly to say the least. Beautiful interior, but that's it. Power wise, the Infiniti absolutely murders it with it's HP (and every other Lexus 6 cylinder for that matter). The engine alone in the I35 is enough to choose it over the Lexus, it is virtually the best V6 made, which really can't be disputed- the Nissan VQ series is an absolute marvel. Let's see, the ES has had the same "just average" on power engine for 3 generations now, pathetic in my book. And the new I35 does 0-60 in 6.9, not too shabby considering it doesn't have a 5 spd auto (which I will admit is a shortcoming, but wait for the next gen). Read the latest C&D, they gave the I35 a pretty good review. You people need to open your eyes, Infiniti is playing catch up big time. For the ones that think Lexus is untouchable, wake up. In a few months the new G35 will be out to trounce the IS300 in performance, as I beleive it is based on the Skyline GTR platform, it will be good competition for sure. Anyways just my thoughts, merry Xmas.
Old 12-30-01, 10:31 PM
Christobol
Advanced

I totally agree with 1SICKLEX The ES isn't trying to be a sports sedan at all. Heck ES (from what I was told at the dealer) stands for Economy Sedan.
Old 12-31-01, 04:15 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Christobol
I totally agree with 1SICKLEX The ES isn't trying to be a sports sedan at all. Heck ES (from what I was told at the dealer) stands for Economy Sedan.

Just what exactly is "economy" about the ES?
Old 01-01-02, 02:00 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Originally posted by wantAnewLex

Just what exactly is "economy" about the ES?
Compared to the other cars produced by Lexus, it's an economy car. It was the cheapest until the IS (but the IS is a totally different class). The ES market is someone who is looking for an affordable family car. Not a luxury car. I'm not knocking the car at all, just saying that it's the closest thing to an Economy car made my Lexus. Plus Lexus can call their cars anything they want
Old 01-01-02, 06:08 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

The Infiniti line of cars are very nice in my opinion, If i had waited longer i would definetly picked me up a 2000 I30, those things look so nice with thier clear coats and alloy rims. I like the styling of the sport package I35 with the 17" chrome rims, it looks pretty mean and stylish. Infiniti has gotten my respect ever since the 1994 Q45, that is a great car and i know many people who own one and they love it, absolutely know issues except normal maintanence and normal stuff that wear out. I really like my lexus cars, but my next one might be a infiniti if the price and miles are right, well see But, the Lexus GS300 looks mighty appetizing as well.
Old 01-04-02, 11:13 AM
Scrap
Driver School Candidate

Wow. I can't believe some of what's in this thread.

Okay guys, we all know the IS300 is a WONDERFUL car. We all know that. That doesn't mean that there aren't other cars that are/will be as nice/nicer. There's no need to be defensive, I'm sure that Lexus will react accordingly. There's no denying it though, the G35 is going to be an awesome car, with 260HP, and RWD. This car is squarely aimed at the IS300, 3 Series, and their ilk.

The G35 has a very nice interior, with an actual nicer interior build quality than the IS (I think we all can admit that the IS interior is a little less "refined" in build quality than the other Lexus cars).

There's no reason to bash the car yet... wait until it comes out, and check it out, I think you'll be surprised. I still prefer the IS300 personally, but that doesn't mean the G35 isn't a VERY nice car. A manual will be introduced the following year (Just like with the IS), and there is even talk of an AWD version with a CVT to be released if the car sells well enough!

Lexus will definitely have to bump the the HP a bit on the IS in coming years...

Scrap.

Last edited by Scrap; 01-04-02 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-04-02, 05:55 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Sweet little car there, looks like a GS series kind of
Old 01-04-02, 06:13 PM
ONYXIS300
Driver

Originally posted by Erfan
Sweet little car there, looks like a GS series kind of
I agree it does look like the gs from the side. I thought it was the gs when i first glanced at the picture.
Old 01-04-02, 06:29 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

I think that the G in G35 is more than a coincedence, I think they are trying to mimic the GS series and take advantage of Lexus's marketing muscle and name brand. Just like AMD does with thier new XP processor, kind of a coincedence that it is named just like the new Microsoft XP operating system.
Old 01-04-02, 06:54 PM
Scrap
Driver School Candidate

Actually, the G is because it's the much needed replacement for the G20. Nissan/Infiniti is actually planning to introduce a GS fighter to the market in 2003 from what I've heard...

Scrap.
Old 01-04-02, 07:07 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

really:eek: what is it going to be called? Is it going to be bad to the bone?
Old 01-04-02, 11:24 PM
Christobol
Advanced

I looked at the G20 before the IS. I thought that the current model was nice, but it had way too small of an engine. I also wasn't willing to wait until Feburary. I think the picture that was posted by Scrap is NICE. I'll never give up my IS, but I will say that I'm going to have to add a turbo to my car eventually in order to keep up. Having 3.5 liters will be awesome. Once they have the stick shift introduced the car will really become popular.

I think the car looks great, and it's a great set for Infinity. One thing that Lexus has over infinity is that it is just simly a better car. There is no doubt about it. If you don't believe me go to www.jdpower.com and look at their 2001 Dependabilty Study and you'll see that Lexus is in first place by a WIDE margin. Infinity is quite a few places behind.
Old 01-05-02, 12:55 AM
VQPOWER
Rookie

Originally posted by Christobol
Actually it's "executive sport".....

Quick Reply: Oh crap! is the new I35 serious threat ?