IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Ricey???

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-01, 07:30 AM
soyb0mb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by IS300GTE
if you modify your car, you open yourself up to a chance for criticism, especially with anything exterior. you have a much larger chance of criticism, the more wild the exterior mods are, and an even greater chance if your car is slow
I agree w/ Mr. Sleeper here, It's all about "All show, and no go"... I'd rather GOOOOOOO!
Old 11-01-01, 02:00 PM
LexyISherName
Driver School Candidate

well that was corny...
Old 11-01-01, 05:06 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by xclusivx
whatever happened to the saying, "to each his own"? I'm not defending the ricers, but maybe those people who hook their cars up a certain way dont know any better; and who are we LEXUS people to label them rice just because they drive a civic or integra?? Everyone is different and yes they may have strange tastes, but we shouldnt be the one to say that isnt nice or thats ricey. just take into account that perhaps they cannot afford a lexus, and only a honda/acura. With that, they try to make the best out of their vehicle in their eyes. Of course they dont think its ricey to them, but us lexus,bmw,benz folks label them as rice. Everythings relative, so please, be considerate to those that are unfortunate. my 2 cents

john
Well I drive a Lexus but I don't think everyone who drives a Civic or Integra is rice-style. I see plenty of nice Civics and Integras that are clean and nice. Even wild ones that look great. And I also see alot of riced-up European cars like Jetta, 3series, C-class, etc. etc. all more ricey than the Civics I usually see. Now THAT's rice.

It's not the car that's rice. It's the guy and the style. Just because they can't afford Lexus doesn't mean they'll have to be stuck with the label RICE forever.

If I drive a Integra today I'll be getting some nice Japanese Type-R front end, nice clean lip bodykit, Volk or Spoon or Mugen wheels, nice engine work, and I don't think that's rice at all. Better than 3-series with ALL-CLEAR taillights and Monsoons and M-sticker all over the car with an ugly aluminum touring cloth hanger.
Old 11-01-01, 05:46 PM
Goods
Driver

People mod their car's appearance cause they like it ... so to each his/her own ...

The term used to be almost exclusively toward "pimped-out" hondas and acuras. Although originally derogatory, I don't necessarily think it's bad .. =)

I wish I went through my "pimp out my car" phase before I got my Lexus. I had a civic when I was in college, but couldn't afford anything back then ...
Now ... well .. still the same situation ... but I think I hear some mod's calling my name in the near future.
Old 11-02-01, 04:14 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Actually, a lot of these "ricers" don't know better...they don't know about the "good stuff"...their loss...

Hawaiian - Blue Calipers are RICE unless you actually have a big brake upgrade...

I say it's RICE because painting them blue (or red or yellow) is just to make them "look" like performance brakes...don't "make" something like like it's performance unless it really is. Silver or black calipers (just to clean it up) is the way to go if you have stock brakes...also, any FAKE products (like Wheels and Body Kits) is RICE.

The clear tail lights are little ricey but so long as you have red bulbs, it's not horrible...

I see many NON-RICE Hondas/Acuras, etc...it's DEFINITELY NOT just about what type of car, it's about what you do to it...I've seen many riced out Lexus, Mercedes, BMW's, etc...

Money doesn't buy you good taste either (look at the majority of the hip hop stars...)
Old 11-02-01, 05:10 AM
LexyISherName
Driver School Candidate

i dont think ricers are posers. its just their way to stand out. they might have a slow car but as long as it looks nice outside and they are happy who cares.
Old 11-02-01, 10:09 AM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

Yeah, on the way to work this morning, '87 four door Accord with a HUGE wing....stupid ! '01 Mustang convertible with HUGE wing...again, stupid '98 Civic...huge,loud and rusty exhaust, stupid...

There are so many *****ty fiberglass kits out there, that are cracking or flopping in the wind at highway speeds...these cars are for the most part all stock with 'all show and no go'......the attitudes of the drivers is such that they impose this '...let's race' and it's just such a waste of time !

I have seen some really well done Integra's and some, very few, well done Accord's....one of the best was a Silver '93 four door, stock appearence besides a nice lowering job and high quality wheels, however......like 10 psi turbo...posting very low teens at the track ! wow....sounded terrific

Old 11-03-01, 03:04 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Before I started modding Lexus cars, I was heavily involved in the Honda/Acura market. Boy have I seen some LAME *****!

LexylSherName - Ricer ARE poseurs. They try to stand out by making their cars look like something they're NOT...and that would be FAST.

Standing out is one thing (but I think people that try too hard might have some deep security issues!), but when you wear fake gold, and LOTS of it, to stand out and make people think you're rich, it says VOLUMES about that person...

Ricers fit the same mold...if you want to stand out, stand out by doing something that YOU can RESPECT. Not something that you do because you're so DESPERATE to have a "fixed up car" when you really can't afford it...
Old 11-04-01, 08:31 AM
bcc002
Pole Position

how i define rice - those that try to make their cars look fast. I have no problem with making your car look good or be fast, but soon as you cross breed the two, thats where you cross the line. There's a kid who hangs out with some of my friends sometimes, and i saw his ride. Its a new civic with a big *** wing, a 5" exhaust pipe and stickers up the ***. I asked him a few questions about any mods he might have done (intake, sc / turbo), and he didnt even speak my language. I boiled it down to "have you done anything to the engine?", and his reply? "oh, its just stock." gahhh....

another thing i have a SERIOUS problem about any car, is false advertizing. this kid had stickers for O.Z. wheels on his car and nitto tires, and upon closer inspection, he had really nice rim...covers. stock. and great tires...for a stock civic. theres kids near me that have fake intercoolers to make it look like they have a turbo!!!! and idot with half a brain can hear it, or ask them to back what they claim and show the engine...

and i cant get any deeper into this or ill start to flame about ricers in comparison to german enginering... ive already said too much

Last edited by bcc002; 11-04-01 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-06-01, 08:00 PM
speed
Driver School Candidate

Default Speaking of "Rice"...

Fake intercoolers are one thing, but the worst has gotta be "Monkey Bars Show Cages" - all inconvenience of a roll cage, with none of the functionality!!!! This has gotta be the stupidest thing I've ever seen!

Oh, maybe that and a window sticker I saw this weekend on a Dakota R/T 5.9 - "Drive Fast, Safety Last"!

I betcha Monkey Bars are a big hit here in Quebec!!! Arrrrggggh.