IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Help with Traction Control Issue on IS300

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-06, 04:10 PM
bdrisc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Traction Control Issue on IS300

Ok, here is the deal...please help me out with this. What started out as an alignment issue, has turned into a pain in the butt. I drove my IS300 about 70 miles this past weekend and developed a bad alignment issue. I had my alignment fixed, only to develop a problem with the traction control. Here is what happens....I put the car in drive and basically as soon as I get to above 30 MPH, the traction control light on the dash flashes, and my car bogs down...meaning, the car trys to stop itself. As soon as I decelerate under 30 MPH, the blinking stop and the car drives fine.

I took the car to the Lexus Dealership where they told me I had a bad O2 sensor and a bad ABS sensor. After consulting with several people (body shop owners, mechanics, another thread on here) I came to the conclusion that the O2 sensor would have to be fixed, and we should be ok. Well, I just had the sensor replaced and the problem persists. Note, there is no check engine light on, and actually hitting the traction button below the radio does nothing to solve the problem.

In my opinion, it almost seems that the car is in a "tow" type mode, since being over/under 30 MPH seems to dictate when this occurs. It seems to me, like the car almost needs to be reset, if that makes any sense.

Please let me know what I can do to solve this problem without spending a ton of money...surely somebody else has had this happen. In another thread somebody mentioned pulling a fuse for the traction control. Well, after looking at the fuses under the hood, there isn't one that is reserved just for the traction control, so which fuse would it be then?

I'm at wit's end with this deal....please help!
Old 12-20-06, 08:23 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

disconnect the battery and let the car sit over night to clear the ECU. then reconnect and start car in the morning. (let it sit 5+hrs with no battery connection)
Old 12-21-06, 05:44 AM
bdrisc
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate the tip...I will try it asap!
Old 12-21-06, 09:22 AM
btorok
Pole Position

That really sucks. I tried pulling the traction control fuse once on my '04 and the car would barely run. I wish there was a way to permanently disable it. It always kicks in when you need the power most.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 12-26-06, 06:41 PM
bdrisc
Driver School Candidate

Well, disconnecting the battery and letting the car sit for several hours did the trick...I can't believe it. Thanks for the tip on solving this very annoying problem.
Old 01-11-07, 10:17 AM
SoufSidah
Driver School Candidate

Just to let others know it's confirmed I had the same problem and disconnected the battery to solve the problem, what actually seems like is happening is that the car thinks it's in a skid and then applies brakes to the wheels it thinks will stop the skid which can be quite dangerous if the front right wheel is braking on it's own at 60MPH on the freeway!