IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Any help please...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-01, 08:46 PM
Harvey11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any help please...

Jeese oh lo wieze, my F*%^ing HID just got fried today. One of my lights went out while I was taking the wife to dinner, got out of the car to see what happened, I noticed a strange smell, you know the smell you get form burning plastic. I immediately popped the hood, as I thought my engine was on fire, (strange I knew my car was not on the recall). Then I see smoke coming from a unit my mechanic installed, well you guessed it right. This stupid son of a (oops) HID System burned my lights system and the unit ($580 in the trash + $90 labor). Some one in the other board did mention not to use aftermarket-HID systems because there voltage is too high or something like that. It’s no wonder I see soo many HID bulbs out on other luxury cars. I got a pair of those cheap bulbs from carlights.net for the wife’s car (99 grand prix) almost 2 year ago with no problems at all. The lights are a bit less bright than mine but I’m willing to get the cheaper stuff if this is the case.

I took some pictures, when I get my piece of junk scanner to work I’ll post the pics. I got the pics of the carlights.net bulbs on my wifes car compard to mine, there almost the same.
Old 11-04-01, 06:06 AM
Sentinel
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm HID bulbs. HID kits are not supposed to blow. The blue lookalike HID bulbs u see on civics etc blow all the time.

Now Im assuming ur driving an is300 so u should have HID from the factory. I dont fully understand ur post but Y dont u put the factory HID back in? Assuming u didnt melt ur light housing that seems simpliest.

What does the kit do that the factory HID doesnt that youd pay 600+ to change?

Wish u luck, if u damaged the actual light / lens that is serios $$$$$$
Old 11-04-01, 07:14 AM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

did you get the JDM black lite housings and use the aftermarket HID setup? is this what you are referring too?