IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Snowboard Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-01, 12:48 PM
Onequickchic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Snowboard Rack?

I just bought a 2002 is300 and I want a rack to hold my snowboards. I called my dealer and they don't make one. Does anybody know of a good aftermarket?
Old 11-06-01, 03:37 PM
Onequickchic
Driver School Candidate

Doesn't anybody ski or snowboard???
Old 11-06-01, 03:38 PM
TK288
Driver School Candidate

doesn't fit thru the back seat??? IS300 doesn't look good with the rack on top....
Old 11-06-01, 04:13 PM
Onequickchic
Driver School Candidate

I didn't ask your opinion on how it looks,
and i like the look of ski racks on cars. and no it won't fit through the seat because I do have friends, i don't go snowboarding by my self.

my is300 with a ski rack and Pirelli Snow tires will look GOOD!!
Old 11-06-01, 05:47 PM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Hey cna you say YAKIMA. They have the fir kit for our car and the differentr applications, for bikes, skis, and snowboards. Here check out the website: http://www.yakima.com/index.html

Good luck!!!!!!!!, and I like the look of roof racks, shows we are a professional group of drivers
Old 11-06-01, 06:32 PM
zukbang
Driver School Candidate

i was looking for a snowboard rack tool.
all i can find is YAKIMA.
you need to get a Q rack and a roll bar and a board carrier.
i'm still shopping for one tho.
if you find a good and cheap internet site, let me know.
and it does look good with a rack!
Old 11-07-01, 07:30 AM
soyb0mb
Driver

I have a rack on my '01 IS, and it is a Yakima.
You will need
- 2 cross bars (50" i think)
- 2 (2-piece sets) q-towers
- a minimum of 4 locks (they come in sets of 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12... i suggest getting more than u think you'll need or else you get stuck w/ needing 2 keys instead of 1.)
- 2 (2-piece sets) of #112(?) q-clips (attach rack to gutters)

Installation initially is a pain, but once it is lined up, you crank it down and never worry again. Even if you take it off, the measurements will be locked in. The process requires a 5mm(or 4mm, can't remember) hex wrench and a pair of needle nose pliers (to put the retaining rings onto locks), electrical tape, and a tape measure.

You assemble the rack by attaching the towers to the cross bars, then measuring the spread between. Once that is set, you lock them down. Next you attach the q-clips and locks to the towers, which is fairly effortless. Wrap the qclip ends w/ your electrical tape... this will save your paint from and incidental scratching during and after the install. The clips also come w. rubber feet that go on the bottom of the towers that are vehicle specific.
The tricky part is the next step, aligning the rack on the roof. The q-clips come w/ vehicle specific instructions, but you basically measure from the front of the car back to locate your rack mounting position... I'd ignore these and try this:
Open your car doors and along the top of the rain gutter (on door frame, NOT door) you should see a 3 inch long indent running front to back, on all 4 door frames. position the rack here. you have better grip, and you won't scratch the car doors, nor tear the rubber door seal when you close it (trust me, impropper alignment caused both of these on my car).
Once the rack is aligned, tighten and crank down. It's best to do this in small increments, alternating sides while tightening so as not to bias the rack to either side.

from there, just attach whatever ski/bike/snowboard rack you want!

Personally, I have 1 Yakima bike tray w/ the locking 9mm skewer (~$80), 1 Rocky mounts bike tray (~$55, blue, non-locking), and 1 Rocket box (Big enough to carry anything you want, up to and over 6 pair of skis)

I've had my yakima for many years, carried over from my last car (needed new q-clips, that's it!) and it's bomb proof... Here's a photo of it w/ well over 100lbs of gear and 2 bikes on top:

The best places I know to get them quickly and cheaply are www.rei.com
and
www.campmor.com

Last edited by soyb0mb; 11-08-01 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-07-01, 08:17 AM
Onequickchic
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Thank you Soyb0mb and Civic Si-r!!!

Nice Picture.
Old 11-07-01, 12:07 PM
Gold_IS300
Driver School Candidate

Default Snowboard rack

Both Yakima or Thule make nice aftermarket racks for bikes, skis, boards, kayaks, etc. A local bike shop can give you the catalog.
Just make sure the moonroof will clear if you tilt it up:Good Luck!
Old 11-07-01, 06:12 PM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Anytime!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-01, 07:23 PM
SophieSleeps
Pole Position

I was thinking about it too...decided not to.

I don't think the IS belongs in the snow too much...

Soybomb, you got pics of this snowboard rack???
Maybe I'll change my mind.
Old 11-08-01, 08:27 AM
soyb0mb
Driver

Yeah man, I posted a photo of my car w/ the entire rack and accessories on it in my last post...
What you see there is the Yakima ROCKET BOX, which can hold a *****load of stuff... It has straps inside to keep the load centered and secure, anc can easily hold 6+ pair of skis, maybe 4+ snowboards and gear.
your other option is something more conventional like the Big PowederHound:

or the Lift Ticket 6:

As far as the IS in snow, I had all seasons on last winter and had no problems... 1 time we got a 18" dump when I was in VT and it got stuck 2x, but not for long... This year I'm running Alpin Pilots so I'm confident I'll be capable in the snow.
Old 11-08-01, 08:33 AM
Onequickchic
Driver School Candidate

My IS300 isn't in the snow that much. But I quess I'm lucky because I live in the Dessert and the ocean is an hour away and the Mountains are an hour and half away. So it would be nice to have a rack so if I decide I want to go Snowboarding one day I don't have to worry about who's has an SUV or truck, I can just take mine.
Old 11-09-01, 08:12 AM
ericjknight
Driver School Candidate

My wife bought me a Yakima rack for my IS at the beginning of the summer. The people at REI (South Bay L.A.) knew exactly which parts were needed, and even offered to install for free. Its easy and I think it looks great on, even without my bikes. Wind noise will increase dramatically if your sunroof is open. Good luck!
Old 11-09-01, 10:50 AM
soyb0mb
Driver

Yea, REI is good and they have great prices...
If you're int the NYC area, I highly suggest going to Campmor (http://www.campmor.com) as they too will put it on for you and they actually TRAIN their staff about the stuff they sell, a rarity in modern stores.

Quick Reply: Snowboard Rack?