Turbo or N/A??? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 11:03 PM
kazuto88
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo or N/A??? HELP!!!

ok guys...
i know, most of you are thinking...stupid question right?

but the truth is..i'm trying to weigh my options..

Turbo kit brand new will cost about $5,000 which is a lot..
not to mention the amount of money for gas...
and how i'll have to take care of it like crazy..

but if i go N/A, it'll be much cheaper and use less gas..
plus my IS only has 28k miles...
so i figure if i go N/A now, i can always upgrade to turbo later on..

i'm assuming with simple mods like intake header, exhaust..
i should push maybe somewhere around 250hp.

if i do go N/A i'm looking to get a srt intake (a lot of ppl said it was good since it comes with its own ECU)

also, i wanna know what a good mileage cut off for turbo charging should be..

but let me know what you guys think..

thanks for all the help!
Old 04-14-07, 08:04 AM
sprayin IS
Rookie

if you want to turbocharge it i would say thats the best bet, but i would also say from what ive learned on this forum is a turbo kit plus install would run more around $10,000, to safely boost... and as far as n/a goes from what i heard its hard to get 250hp with those mods, but you can go nitrous untill you can afford to boost. but stay under a 75 shot without retarding the timing. i have a 70 shot and it does get the job done... i hope this helps and if i got anything wrong anybody feel free to make it right...
Old 04-17-07, 10:24 AM
juniorsdad
Lead Lap

$5000 turbo kit is only the beginning... by the time you finish w/ everything else, don't be surprised if the bill comes closer to $15-20k if you want to do it right (unless you're thinking of a very basic, low boost system?)
as for n/a of 250rwhp, not possible yet w/ I/H/E alone; will probably need to add new cams + e-manage/aftermarket engine tuning system(?)
nitrous is a quick fix, but be careful not to over do it.
good luck..!
Old 04-17-07, 07:49 PM
Carbon~IS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basic NA Mods:
Intake, Header, Race pipe, B-pipe, Exhaust, Cam gear, and some kind of electronic controlling device for tunning (SAFC, E-manage, or full standalone). Cams are not out yet, neither is a GTE style intake manifold that is a full bolt on. So as of right now, with the basic NA mods + e-manage you'll probably get 22x~23xRWHP AT THE MOST. (standalone would cost too much for this build)

Stage 1 as stated above will be around 10k, and will be around 300~3xxrwhp depending on who you go to for the build.

IMHO, I would just get a used intake and exhaust just for now (cut cost as much as possible), and save up for boost. If you are not satisfied with what you got, than throw in a little 50-75shot of nitrous (+ tune).

**If you don't want to loose dependability and/or gas mileage of a basic bolt-on car, than I don't think going boost is the route for you... (IS's MPG sucks azz anyways ) **
Old 04-20-07, 06:16 AM
engIs300
Driver School Candidate

Well I will agree with all these guys by says whatever you pay for the turbo kit isn’t what you’re going to pay in total... But however there are cheaper ways of going low boost (under 350whp and under 9psi) As I am currently doing. I bought a kit of a member on the my. is forums for 2750. came out to around 3200 with shipping and extras. Then adding the extra parts I needed. 100 for fuel pump, 300 pfs cast iron manifold, 140 2 sensors for the haltech f10x & sparkplugs and the little things maybe around 300 extra. i spent a total of around 4 grand with a diy install. Now you’ll have to put a lot of time into reading and researching and finding a bargain...like i did but heck its worth it otherwise ull be paying 10k for a new turbo kit. Things will need to be replaced down the line so its safe to say that u better have more than what u expect to pay in the bank . The main thing is though not to spend too much on N/A if you see yourself in boost later on.
Old 05-03-07, 02:05 AM
kazuto88
Rookie

alright.
thanks for all the input guys.
i really appreciate it!