Got into a wreck :/

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-07, 10:12 AM
mink92890
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got into a wreck :/

Hey Guys

So last week I was leaving the neighberhood making a right turn when the car in front of me decided to slam the brakes at the last time causing me to ram into him. I was not tailgating, I was looking to the left to make sure I could merge (as the car in front of me had already begun to leave). (Started from zero miles an hour, not flying down the street or anything.)

Anyways, today I got the appraisal from my insurance company and the damage is $8500. I really have no idea how this can be true. First I did not think the accident was this severe and second, i bought the car for only $12500.

Here are the pictures: Do you think the damage matches the appraisal?

I get the car back in 2.5 weeks.

IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e244/mink92890/Image131.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-26-07, 02:00 PM
btorok
Pole Position

Seems kinda steep. Is there any set up and pull time or frame time on the estimate?
Old 04-26-07, 02:02 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

On monday i got a call saying it'll be 2.5 weeks after the parts are ordered. They said the parts should be in today or so.

Mink92890
Old 04-26-07, 02:03 PM
btorok
Pole Position

Timing sounds about right for a busy shop.
Old 04-26-07, 04:35 PM
lexodus
Rookie

I am not an expert @ appraising damage, but that seems a bit steep to me

That really sucks to man, i feel for ya, sorry that happened!
Old 04-26-07, 05:01 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

I talked to a few friends of mine, and they said that it must have been frame damage. Im really surprised as I thought of it as just a little more than a "fender bender"... not $6-8000 more though.

Thanks for the support man, I am too. I miss it so much

Mink92890
Old 04-26-07, 07:03 PM
LayinLo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mink92890
I talked to a few friends of mine, and they said that it must have been frame damage. Im really surprised as I thought of it as just a little more than a "fender bender"... not $6-8000 more though.

Thanks for the support man, I am too. I miss it so much

Mink92890
Did you recieve a paper estimate or was it only verbal???

Look at the paper estimate and look for anything that says "frame or frame repair" its either going to be at the very beginning or at the very end of the list.

If you want I can take a look at it for you if you want to PM me or you can fax it. Sounds a little high but their is always hidden damage, you may possibly have alot of mechanical parts being replace. ALOT...
Old 04-26-07, 07:36 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

yea, for 8k there better be either frame damage or internal mechanical damage ... otherwise i'd definately be questioning what they're doing
Old 04-27-07, 06:35 AM
a4_turbo
Driver School Candidate

had a similar thing happened to me on the new A4 - the total cost was 4500 and that's b/c the headlights assembly had to be replaced - 1700 only for those
they changed - bumper/grille/filler plate/hood/headlights.
Pretty much what you have to change.
I can't believe the Lexus IS parts would be so much more expensive than the Audi's.
Old 04-27-07, 10:34 AM
mink92890
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LayinLo
Did you recieve a paper estimate or was it only verbal???

Look at the paper estimate and look for anything that says "frame or frame repair" its either going to be at the very beginning or at the very end of the list.

If you want I can take a look at it for you if you want to PM me or you can fax it. Sounds a little high but their is always hidden damage, you may possibly have alot of mechanical parts being replace. ALOT...
I greatly appreciate it. For now, all i have is a verbal quote. When I get the paper estimate, I will be sure to take a look at it for that.

Originally Posted by Faymester
yea, for 8k there better be either frame damage or internal mechanical damage ... otherwise i'd definately be questioning what they're doing
Definitely... I think I broke a lot of parts just ENOUGH to be replaced instead of just a few parts severely.

Originally Posted by a4_turbo
had a similar thing happened to me on the new A4 - the total cost was 4500 and that's b/c the headlights assembly had to be replaced - 1700 only for those
they changed - bumper/grille/filler plate/hood/headlights.
Pretty much what you have to change.
I can't believe the Lexus IS parts would be so much more expensive than the Audi's.
I think one reason to this could be because my car is an 02 and those parts are not as readily available as a brand new A4. I might be wrong.

Also, how much do you think the cost of painting would be? It should match perfectly and all right? Do you think they will also nicely wash the car from the outside/inside as well?

Thanks

Mink92890
Old 04-27-07, 12:47 PM
LayinLo
Pole Position

Where are you having the vehicle reapaired?.

The good thing about your damage is that the parts that need to be replaced f bumper, hood,and fenders should be an in stock item. The only funny problem I come across with higher end car parts is example: "I need both left and right parts" and they only have the LEFT or vice versa, I think that is stupid. For the most part you shouldn't have that much trouble recieving your car in a timely fashion, Be happy you don't drive a Subaru, Man those parts are never instock.

For every item that requires paint application it will be added automatically to your estimate in hours. The estimate will display the cost for paint materials on the very last page of the estimate. Before you choose your body shop take a look at their most recent jobs they done. If your satisfied with the work go ahead and then sign the repair order agreement. Most certified repair facilities have the most updated paint matching equipment but those machines are not 100% accurate.

Yeah, they should give you a complimentary wash, if they don't just ask for it

If you have anymore questions just ask... This is what I do, I work at one custom shop and at a collision.
Old 04-27-07, 01:39 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LayinLo
Where are you having the vehicle reapaired?.

The good thing about your damage is that the parts that need to be replaced f bumper, hood,and fenders should be an in stock item. The only funny problem I come across with higher end car parts is example: "I need both left and right parts" and they only have the LEFT or vice versa, I think that is stupid. For the most part you shouldn't have that much trouble recieving your car in a timely fashion, Be happy you don't drive a Subaru, Man those parts are never instock.

For every item that requires paint application it will be added automatically to your estimate in hours. The estimate will display the cost for paint materials on the very last page of the estimate. Before you choose your body shop take a look at their most recent jobs they done. If your satisfied with the work go ahead and then sign the repair order agreement. Most certified repair facilities have the most updated paint matching equipment but those machines are not 100% accurate.

Yeah, they should give you a complimentary wash, if they don't just ask for it

If you have anymore questions just ask... This is what I do, I work at one custom shop and at a collision.
Ooh... I am having my car repaired at Hendricks Auto Collision here in Georgia. They are a pretty new body shop here right by the Lexus dealer (all parts are genuine, I made sure of that). Yeah I think that is extremely stupid to have just certain sides of parts.

If the machines do not match the paint 100%, do I have the right to tell them to match the paint better for no cost? Personally, I would find it unacceptable to pay 8000+ for my car which doesnt have properly matched paint.

I shall definitely ask for that. The only way I am not feeling down right horrible about this whole thing is that my car will basically be in brand new condition (hood/front end had the few usual rock chips).

Oooh, I greatly appreciate the time your taking to help me out on this one. What all do you do at the custom shop?

Mink92890
Old 04-27-07, 01:47 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fixing these cars to be back to as-new condition is very expensive. I figure they are estimating new fender, hood, bumper, lights, brackets, reinforcement, etc. Plus a Lexus paint job which can easily be 3-4 coats costs lots of money per panel (especially metallic colors which looks like you have and having to match and blend the color... they would have to paint the other fender and your passenger door also to match the new fender and blend the color. This prevents that per-panel different shade you see on some repaired vehicles). When I got sideswiped a few years back, I got hit in the rear driver's quarter with about the same involvement (rear lights, trunk, bumper, quarter panel, and other assorted parts) and the final bill was $7500 with no frame damage. I didn't think it would be that high. Certain places fix cars to as-new condition. If the place is going to bondo anything then the price is too high, if not, then its around the ballpark.

Last edited by T0ked; 04-27-07 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-27-07, 02:13 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by T0ked
Fixing these cars to be back to as-new condition is very expensive. I figure they are estimating new fender, hood, bumper, lights, brackets, reinforcement, etc. Plus a Lexus paint job which can easily be 3-4 coats costs lots of money per panel (especially metallic colors which looks like you have and having to match and blend the color... they would have to paint the other fender and your passenger door also to match the new fender and blend the color. This prevents that per-panel different shade you see on some repaired vehicles). When I got sideswiped a few years back, I got hit in the rear driver's quarter with about the same involvement (rear lights, trunk, bumper, quarter panel, and other assorted parts) and the final bill was $7500 with no frame damage. I didn't think it would be that high. Certain places fix cars to as-new condition. If the place is going to bondo anything then the price is too high, if not, then its around the ballpark.
Definitely. 4 coats because its metallic... damn. Yeah, they better match the paint on the car. Wow... one bummer about having high price cars. But the drive is definitely worth it . With that said, that resorts me to my last question. If the car is not matched properly (which I doubt will not happen), do I have the right to tell them to match it for no cost, or am I forced to live with it?

Mink92890
Old 04-27-07, 04:02 PM
LayinLo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mink92890
do I have the right to tell them to match it for no cost, or am I forced to live with it?

Mink92890
The equipment alone does not match the paint in most cases, the painter will have to tweek it a bit. Almost surely it will be a match when all is done. That's why I'd recomend a preview of their current stuff. We have had to redo hack jobs other shops have done, you know the one's....

I am very confident that they will be using brand new dealer parts, only cause finding them at a junky yard is unlikely and on structure parts they don't make them in aftermarket, at least I don't think they do. The insurance company is not obligated to put new parts on any car if the car is more than 3 yrs old. So as long as the cost to replace does not exceed the total cost of the car owning a Lexus is pretty sweet!

Last edited by LayinLo; 04-27-07 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Got into a wreck :/