IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Escaine ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-01, 08:57 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Escaine ??

I didn't know that the Escaine wasn't real suede ?? Why is Lexus charging $1700 (individually, not part of option package) for synthetic materials ?! BMW gives you leatherette standard, and real leather only costs $700 more. What the hell is going on ??!!
Old 12-07-01, 03:45 PM
TOP DOG LEX
Driver School Candidate

I have been reading these forums for quite some time now and i have never posted before, but what i have noticed from visiting the is300 forum in the past is that you (lexus pride) tend to be very concerned about a car that you dont even own. By the way its ecsaine c before s remember that next time you cry about it. Anyways i am thinking of buying my son an IS300 and i think that they are great cars in performance and price wise. About the ecsaine its a type of suede and it holds up better than regular suede, and its not a cheap material if thats what you are trying to get at.
Old 12-09-01, 02:03 PM
murdoch
Driver School Candidate

Default Ecsaine ???

First of all, it is spelled E-S-C-A-I-N-E. Escaine is a synthetic material and not a type of suede. It is a substitute to suede. It does hold up better and really keeps the passengers planted during aggressive driving. There is an article in the new "Automobile" magazine that talks about it. If you are thinking about buying one for your son than why dont you let him come on the message boards and find out what he likes.
Old 12-09-01, 04:05 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

I have been reading these forums for quite some time now and i have never posted before, but what i have noticed from visiting the is300 forum in the past is that you (lexus pride) tend to be very concerned about a car that you dont even own. By the way its ecsaine c before s remember that next time you cry about it. Anyways i am thinking of buying my son an IS300 and i think that they are great cars in performance and price wise. About the ecsaine its a type of suede and it holds up better than regular suede, and its not a cheap material if thats what you are trying to get at.
Thanks for correcting me Next time do some research so you don't look so foolish. The escaine is synthetic, and 2 salespeople at my dealership verified that Lexus corp. specifically instructed them to be rather vague when inquiries are forwarded regarding its actual materials. And if you had read the article on Edmunds they did the same thing. Although it does grip better, I find it rather odd that they shortly followed with an all leather option, at a price markup ("it doesn't hold you as well, and we're charging you more for it"). As to your remark about not owning one, well this is called "Club Lexus", not IS300.net, and since I do own a Lexus GS430, I think I am entitled to be here, especially when I become concerned that Lexus seems to me to be making some questionable decisions and cost-cutting. But thank you for schooling me with your 2 posts.
Old 01-29-18, 02:45 PM
is300forev
Driver School Candidate

I'm sorry to bump an old thread, but I've referenced this thread multiple times because I love the Escaine/Ecsaine in the IS 300 so much that I've put it in two of my newer vehicles that came with leather that I had swapped out for Escaine/Ecsaine. That being said, I'd imagine others have visited for that same reason. I just wanted to clarify with a little proof that Lexus listed it as both, Escaine and Ecsaine on the very same window sticker... even better, 1 line directly after the next. See image below.