how dark can tint be in SO. CA

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-01, 07:50 AM
princess4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how dark can tint be in SO. CA

Hey guys,
I am new to California and just bought the Black L-tuned IS. I am originally from AZ where tint is a necessity, but I am told that out here, you can't have tint on the front windows. Do any of you guys have experience with tinting your front windows and getting tickets? Any reccommendations on how dark I can go without getting s#@! for it? My other car has limo tint all the way around and I have been pulled over for it but it has AZ plates so I haven't got a ticket yet.
Thanks,
SB
Old 12-13-01, 08:24 AM
bcc002
Pole Position

technically - i think its completely ill legal to have tint anywhere on your car in cali. but the cop (or at least through my personal experience) dont care at all. Ive been pulled over 2x with all my windows up (limo in the back, 3/4 limo in the front) and the cops dont say a thing. hell, i was talking with a cop and he said it is illegal, but he has tint on his car too! and he also said that unless your being a *****, they wont try to nab you on anything else. and welcome to cali!
Old 12-13-01, 08:28 AM
benzy230
Driver

man....i want to move there!
Old 12-13-01, 01:34 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was told by one of my bud/LT. cop that BY LAW, a car is not allowed any tint on the front sides. by whether a driver will get tickets for that depends on the following factors:

type of car, how loud your stereo, exhaust, driving speed/style...your luck of day....just try to be a goody goody, and your chance of getting hassled goes down big time...
Old 12-13-01, 01:55 PM
princess4
Rookie

That's what I figured, I think it is also easier for girls to get out of the ticket then guys, although, I did have this butch CHP pull me over a couple of months ago for having no front license plate and tint on my windows. I think she just wanted a peice of A@@
but I did get out of it. Anyways, I guess I will go somewhat dark on the front and limo on the back, thanks for you help
Old 12-13-01, 02:03 PM
benzy230
Driver

haha....awesome! I think its neat when girls get into fixing up cars!!
Old 12-15-01, 04:44 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will - Hehehe...that's exactly what my friends (who are officers) tell me...

I have 100% Limo tint all around plus my windshield is tinted (you'd think I'm a vampire or somethin')...haven't been messed with yet (luckily)...
Old 12-15-01, 09:54 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Manaray, don't you have difficulties with your tints when it's dark???
Old 12-15-01, 06:08 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

manaray,

you have the front tinted "too", me 2 actually i have the clear kind(75%) straight from the land of rising sun
Old 12-15-01, 07:38 PM
Bruin
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

In California it is illegal to have any non-clear tint on the front windows and front windshield can not have any tint below 6" from the roof line. The back windows are game. With regards to getting a fix it ticket like everyone says it depends on your luck. But be aware that having tint on your front windows does give the the cop the right to pull you over. So if you are a shady character or you drive home alot after having a few beers at the bar, I wouldn't suggest tinting your front windows. It just gives the cop another reason to pull you over to investigate further. I was in my girlfriends civic one day who has 35% tint on the front windows and the cop pulled me over specifically for that reason. It is a $77 ticket. The best of luck with your decision.
Old 12-16-01, 02:58 PM
ISzBest
Driver

U can always just roll w/ ur windows down? and that way u can still have the classy, sharp, tint look still.!
Old 12-16-01, 05:27 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

Originally posted by ISzBest
U can always just roll w/ ur windows down? and that way u can still have the classy, sharp, tint look still.!
I had a cop pulled me over, and I rolled both my front windows down when I stopped the car. He walked up to my car, and specifically asked me to roll my windows back up, and gave me a ticket for tinting! I had limo on back 3, and dark on front two. I was not speeding, driving reckless, or anything else, seems that he saw my tint, and just wanted to give me a fix ticket! arrrgh, what can you do when you run into an ahole cop!!!
Old 12-16-01, 10:42 PM
bcc002
Pole Position

dont roll down your windows if a cop pulls you over. they are smart enough (unfortunatly) to notice if you had em up or down when they started tailing you. open your sun roof if it's day, or if your under some kind of street light. if not, sorry, your SOL (if the cop was going to ticket you). opening the sun roof lets light flood in and makes the inside lighter. dome lights help too .
Old 12-16-01, 10:56 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will - Sick minds think alike...

Rolling down your windows will NOT help...like BCC002 said, they're smart enough to notice before hand.

As for driving drunk, I don't drink for the most part and I definitely don't drive drunk. I'm a shady character but they can't seen me through the tint!

Luckily, I have a lot of cop friends and know what to do to avoid getting dinged with a ticket. Though it doesn't help all the time....

Once I got a ticket (by CHP) WITH a LAPD officer in my car! The CHP was a cøck...sometimes, you just get a *****head that didn't get some in the morning or something...
Old 01-06-02, 10:44 PM
gen1gs
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone considered why there is a tint law? Imagine approaching a vehicle at night, not knowing what the driver is doing, or pulling. I know a Lexus driver wouldn't be caught doing anything, but... I agree that tinting looks great, but don't blame officers for wanting a safe night at work.

Quick Reply: how dark can tint be in SO. CA