IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

SUPERCHARGER suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-02, 07:36 PM
RysBURNER
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUPERCHARGER suggestions

can anyone tell me which company is better....SRT or AREA 51 for a supercharger and the prices...and a loan pleez
Old 01-11-02, 10:41 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

well I am prolly a lil biased but I will say both kits are nice and stage 1 makes about the same power.. 250rwhp give or take 10 rwhp.... but the nice thing is that stage 2 from SRT will make approx.280-300rwhp.. pricing is something you need to talk to the man. about,
Old 01-12-02, 08:26 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

get a turbo
Old 01-12-02, 09:42 AM
Chan
Driver School Candidate

Turbo is a good idea if you want upgradablity, I would wait for Powerhouse Racing's BOLT ON turbo , or if you live near Toyomoto, go to them.
Old 01-14-02, 01:15 PM
benzy230
Driver

If you have the $$...do a turbo.....
Old 01-14-02, 10:50 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the difference between a SC and Turbo? I know that you can only do one at a time. I have a somewhat limited idea as to what a turbo does. From what I know, you boost the pressure at which gas and air is forced into the cylinder which causes a more explosive ignition.

Is that right so far? I know that the higher the Psi on a turbo the more power you can expect out of it. How does a turbo differ from a SC? Or is there a better place for me to find out?

I'm especially curious in case TRD does really come out with a SC for my IS. (how many other acronyms can I use in one sentence?)
Old 01-15-02, 06:23 AM
benzy230
Driver

The turbo spools itself off of exhaust gas's off the engine.....the charger is turned by a pulley connected to the crank. The supercharger is always there as a power, because it is always turning...the turbo has somewhat of a lag to it.

You were right on the the other parts too Good job!!
Old 01-15-02, 07:42 AM
Christobol
Advanced

Does the SC boost the amount of power it can give based on how rev'd the engine is?
Old 01-15-02, 10:43 AM
OCIS
Rookie

SRT
Old 01-15-02, 11:40 AM
benzy230
Driver

Originally posted by Christobol
Does the SC boost the amount of power it can give based on how rev'd the engine is?
I hope this is what you were talking about....if not..let me know!

The boost is controlled by the pulley....it pulls the same throughout (although I do not know about the IS300 superchargers, the only ones that I have had was on a BMW, and a civic). When you want more boost, you have to change the pulley and belt, and misc. things. Once again, I hope this helps....your best person to ask about the chargers is going to be fairuza11, and Grey_IS300. They are pretty well educated about them...not only that....but they have em too!
Old 01-15-02, 01:38 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Originally posted by benzy230

I hope this is what you were talking about....if not..let me know!

What I meant is that if it's based on a pully at 2k rpms you're got so much power going to the supercharger which in turn can supply the engine with more power. Then at 5k rpms you've got 2.5 times the power goign to the supercharger, which in turn will boost the proformance of the engine even more.

So what I'm asking is, if you look at a dyno sheet, are you going to see the HP climb steadly up to it's peak (for the IS lets just say 5900). So instead of the car starting out with 170 hp at 2000 rpms and going up to 185 hp at 5800, does the climb become a bit more substantial? Something like 170 hp at 2000 rpms to 200 hp at 5800?

Something that is more equalivant to an expenential boost until it's past it's peak, or does it just give you a flat (just using a random number) 30 hp gain all across the rev range in comparison to a stock car?

Is that easier to answer or did I make I not make enough sense?
Old 01-15-02, 03:09 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

correct kinda... our setup werks more like a turbo cept there is no lag like a turbo.. lets jsut say for instance... at 2500 rpms you got like 5psi but at like 5500 rpms you got 16psi ect.. it can vary but you are almost always in boost!!!
Old 01-15-02, 04:01 PM
Christobol
Advanced

So you think it would be better to go with an SRT instead of the TRD once it is released (if ever)? I don't want insane speed like Jeff. I just want the ability to kick my friend's WRX's ***!! Plus I only have an auto so I can't add to much wrhp or else I'll blow the tranny. Which would be a good reason to put in a 6 speed... but I'd probably buy a new car at that point.

I think that an engine swap would only occur after I had another car as my main car. That way I'm free to work on it without it running (so I can get to work and out and about).

What are the realistic costs, and wrhp gains from a stage 1 SC? What would the same be for a turbo?
Old 01-16-02, 04:37 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

your auto tranny can hold decent power...over 400 rwhp with the addition of a shift kit....the issue is getting it to shift right...Fairuzs kit was still not shifting right before his accident....he was going to try to install a haltech to get it to run right.....if you want relaible perfect shifting WRX spanking power...get a stage 1 turbo kit..you will have 280-300 rwhp on pump gas to drive all day.....this kit will cost about 8500 installed but you will need to do nothing further.....just change oil.....filters....and drive.....
Old 01-16-02, 07:35 AM
Christobol
Advanced

SC300 do you know if it's possible to change the auto tranny to act more like a manual while it's in E-shift mode? It's not quite the same... by a long shot.

Having that much power with a stage 1 turbo would be NICE. What type of proformance would I get out of a SC? If I had it before going to Havasu this summer I would be SO stoked.

Quick Reply: SUPERCHARGER suggestions