IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

SRT or Area51

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-02 | 04:44 PM
ISzBest
Driver

Default SRT or Area51

I'm sure ther's been other threads about this, so sry for those who will be mad at me for asking. Which is better, what do you personally think, etc. IF i have stillen exhaust/Apexi Safc , which do u thnk will be better. And the SRT is coming w/ their ecu. A51 isn't. Thnx.
Old 01-24-02 | 10:04 AM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

SRT and A51 both already have ecu's for the intakes.... and you cant use the S-AFC with a pre-existing piggyback ecu intake setup....

I like the sound and simplicity of the SRT.
Old 01-24-02 | 11:24 PM
RacingAristo

I'd go with an intake (WR or Injen) couple with S-AFC. However, the major tuner in Area51 left couple months ago....
Old 01-24-02 | 11:50 PM
LIVN XL
Pole Position

I have an Injen Intake...and Im really thinking about getting the SRT intake with ECU...hope that helps!!
Old 01-25-02 | 06:07 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

get an intake...afc.....header and exahust....and get over 200rwhp...Jeff
Old 01-25-02 | 07:40 AM
Christobol
Advanced

The WeaponR stuff is supposed to get you up to 195 rwhp, and with your exhaust that should push you over the 200 line. Check it out, there is a group buy being but together right now.
Old 01-25-02 | 09:40 AM
soyb0mb
Driver

WeaponR is all smoke and mirrors, and I really can't take a person seriously if they have that "Ram air" intake on their car... looks like a hose from a dryer exhaust!!!

It seems you all missed the core of the question:

IF i have stillen exhaust/Apexi Safc , which do u thnk will be better
Hands down the Area51... why spend the money on the SRT if you're just going to ditch the ecu? The Area51 is available without the ecu-mod.
Old 01-25-02 | 10:36 AM
ISzBest
Driver

Would this be a good combo to be put in the atleast 200 range: Srt Intake w/ first gen. ecu, either Hyper Exhaust or Stillen, Headers.
Old 01-25-02 | 10:39 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

any intake....afc..headers and what ever exahust you like....tuned should be right at or over 200
Old 01-25-02 | 10:50 AM
RIIS300
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Honestly go with a AEM /Apexi Set Up!!!

I know some people are scared to use the AEM Intake since there where a few problems with it, how ever they redesigned the system and took care of anyone who had problems. I my self have the AEM intake on my car and never had a problem with it and love it. I personaly don't like ECUs when you can run a Apexi SAFC and accomplish the same thing. Another benifit to the AFC is that later on when you make more mods, you just re-tune, wich is a lot less hassel then upgrading the ECU.
Old 01-25-02 | 11:30 AM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

yeah but who is gonna dyno tune his afc? and how much will that cost on top of the intake/afc? that is my question when you can get a ECU that is pretuned and not have to spend cash on dyno time..

just curious..
Old 01-25-02 | 11:39 AM
RIIS300
Driver School Candidate

Dyno Tuning is about $100-$200, and you'll get more power out of that then just throwing a ECU in. The reason why is becuase your car is tuned for its self, not what some other IS's setting are. You have to remember just becuase we all may have IS300 dose not mean they all run the same. There are a lot of var. in there (location, diff. intake systems, diff. exhaust systems, all the way to the type of oil that your running!) It may be a bit more cash to start, but over all you'll have a better tuned car and will be able to keep it tuned as you add more parts.
Old 01-25-02 | 12:28 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Which goes back to fairuza11's question. Who are you going to get to do the tuning? From what I understand there are only a few tunes who are good at tuning an AFC. On top of that it's easy to screw things up. I'm not saying that it's not the best option, but IMHO the AFC is for those who like working on their car often, and that have the money and time to play with everything. For someone that likes to just drive and have everything work right I think an addon ECU is the best choice. That guy just wants a bit more, he isn't on the quest to get every drop of power out of his engine as possible.
Old 01-25-02 | 04:10 PM
RIIS300
Driver School Candidate

Post Reply To Christobol

Hey your in OC so finding a tuner is no problem, you can hit up Dynamic Autosoprts in Lake Forest or XS-Engineering in Fullerton, both of wich work with Apexi directly on a daily bases, and both distribute Apexi products. If you go to XS talk with Tri, or Dynamic talk with Loyd or Eddie. Honestly the AFC w/ Tuning isn't much more then a ECU and you will def. get more HP out of it! The SAFC runs $314.00 + Say $150 for Tuning & Install your at $464.00 wich is a little more then a ECU.
Old 01-26-02 | 07:05 PM
ISzBest
Driver

I think i'm going w/ the SRT ecu combo. I'm gettin good deal on a used one, and i had trouble w/ the apexi. I had an intake w/ apexi, and after my 15k service check, i drove home from the dealer, and then the next morning there was no power the the SAfc and i couldn't start the car. And as of now A51 is not doing that well of a job to accomodate me. They dont want to take it back ( i can't say i blame them) but they did give me the product, install and tune it.etc. But i had high expectations of A51, and they've now declined a bit. I'm not saying there's any problems, but it just seems like they dont care that much, only about them. But, we'll see how things go. Thnx everyone,

Dave

Quick Reply: SRT or Area51