IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Insurance claim question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-08, 10:39 PM
blkis3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance claim question

Just a quick question about insurance. I live in GA and we got a good amount of snow yesterday and my car just happened to not be in the garage. Well it got snowed all over and then the snow started to melt yesterday afternoon but didnt completely melt and then it got to 14 degrees last night and froze all of it on my car. I went out this morning to leave from a friends house and it was frozen rock solid, so I didnt mess with it cause I didnt want to scratch the car. Its a black car btw and we all know how easy a scratch will show up on black. I left it alone and left and about 30 minutes later, the ice melted enough and slid right off the car and left some pretty good surface scratches. Anyways, I am not too experienced with the snow so has anyone ever claimed anything like that on insurance or heard of anything like that being claimed. I am sure I can but I figured Id through it up on here to see what yall gotta say about. Thanks for anyone who chimes in.
Old 01-22-08, 12:22 AM
BernieIS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never heard of anyone making a claim due to damage by the snow in this manner. I can tell you that the amount of work to have it buffed out is not worth taking out a claim with the insurance company. You will still have to pay your deductable. Just take it to get an estimate from a detail shop that can buff out the scratches and decide from there. In my opinion, not worth going through insurance.
Old 01-22-08, 12:11 PM
crashzilla
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BernieIS
I have never heard of anyone making a claim due to damage by the snow in this manner. I can tell you that the amount of work to have it buffed out is not worth taking out a claim with the insurance company. You will still have to pay your deductable. Just take it to get an estimate from a detail shop that can buff out the scratches and decide from there. In my opinion, not worth going through insurance.
Amen. Not worth dealing with insurance at all. Plus that your rates COULD go up sincce you filed a claim. Just better to deal with it on your own. Try clay barring the car, and a solid hand or buffer waxing.
Old 01-22-08, 01:41 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BernieIS
+1.............
Old 01-23-08, 12:02 PM
blkis3
Driver School Candidate

Well, I dont think the damage is as bad as I originally thought. Im just gonna take it by the body shop that does all the cosmetic work on my car and get them to buff it, they will probably do it for little to no money anyways. As far as the insurance goes, that doesnt bother me about my current insurance company anyways cause as of 2/8/08 I am cancelled anyway due to the 4 claims I have had in the last year and a half. Its BS cause they have all been comp claims but hey what can ya do, Ive cost them about $30,000 in that time frame, Id cancel me too. They would never make their money back from me. 3 deer and a hail storm we had last year took care of all that, not to mention the last deer cost them over $12,000. 1 headlight for the car was $1700 for the housing and motor and all that good stuff and they were both completely destroyed as well as both fog lights, ridiculous but again, what can you do.