IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

my winter story

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-08, 08:13 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default my winter story

Well after a snaffu with stock lugs, i was unable to mount my winter tires and stock wheels for a camping trip. but i went ahead and drove from colorado springs to hayden, colorado. the car did great. nice mountain roads and a couple high altitude passes(eisenhower tunnel, and rabbit ear pass).

This morning i headed back after a few days camping. All was good until i started up the rabbit ear pass. I engadged my traction control and snow option and took a steady drive up the pass. the roads were completely iced up and unprepared. towards to top of the pass the snow increased and the snowpack was growing. but the car made it. sure there were a few times where the car was beeping when it lost complete traction. the subaru behind me saw the side of my car once. but then he backed off a bit. so for all those curious....can you drive this car in the snow. yes.(be careful and smart though)

19's with nitto rubber.

in conclusion im waiting on a final shipment of lugs to get these winter tires on the car.
Old 10-23-08, 03:36 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great story, thanks for sharing. When I was living in PA, while waiting for snow tires to be shipped in, I had to drive my car on the summer rubber one snowy night. fun, but kind of scary, I was drifting up hills, going back and forth to get traction!!, made through the night in one peice. btw, the car with snow tires could get through anything , I had to drive during some blizzards and was very careful. Lastly for fun the car was comfortable with some small snow drifting.
Old 10-23-08, 06:20 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remained on the OEM 17" 5 spokes and ran Continental Extreme Contact all year round and was lucky with Chicago winters. I also had Limited Slip, but I drove that IS on days that FWD cars were crashing.
Old 10-23-08, 10:01 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah i bought a set of stock 17's from a my.is member up in aspen. he had them professionally painted porsche gt3 blue(its that weird turquiouse color) not sure how long i will keep them that color. but it will work for now. but yeah i got the full set with a brand new set of the blizzaks....for 400. so i got a good deal for sure. i ran the same set on my FWD es300 last winter, and the dunlop m3 sports the winter before that.