IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

IS 200 Security

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-02, 01:06 PM
kamlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb IS 200 Security

Hi all, i'll be picking up my UK IS 200 SE next week. With fuel at nearly $4 a gallon in the UK we can't afford the IS300 running costs. Anyhow can you guys give me some advice on the IS200 security. Have your carts been stolen are broken into easily. The Lexus dealer is advising me to purcahse a tracking device $1000 extra. I am not sure whther it is worth the money. I understand that the IS200 UK speck and IS 300 spec for security is the same. Thanks
Old 02-24-02, 12:16 PM
fuduNYC
Driver School Candidate

mine was broken into.. and the guy got in and took my plam pilot.... i don't think anyone can steal the car unless they have a tow truck cause of the anti-theft....

just make sure you..

1. leave no valuables int he car
2. leave the glove box unlocked
3. turn your wheels towards the curb
4. park in a well lit area...

no need for tracking.. just be careful
Old 02-25-02, 06:43 AM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with fuduNYC. The car isn't going to be stolen. Remember they will need a laser cut key, and a bustable microchip with the proper code in it for the car to start. Sure they could tow it away, but I doubt that'll happen. It is easy to break into the car though. Apparently you can take a screw driver, and jam it into the key lock in the door, and that'll pretty much unlock the door. Now the alarm is going to start going off, but... well we all know what happens when we hear a car alarm.
Old 02-25-02, 10:58 AM
kamlex
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

Thanks for your advice. Your views are much appreciated. I hope your faith in Lexus security is shared by others. Thanks again.
Old 02-25-02, 03:36 PM
Matthew_McNally
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Check out

http://www.is200.co.uk/security_frame.html

and follow the security links

The Is200 is the most secure car in the UK - full details above.

I've an SE myself - with the sat nav system (blue exterior black interior) - lovely car mate - you'll enjoy it!

Get the tracker too - for £434 you get Tracker monitor - tracker is set when you lock the car - if your vehicle moves - tracker ring you up and ask if you know your car is in motion.

not only senses if the car is 'moving' - if the car tilts too much, it will also go off (ie is being loaded on a trailer).

Seeing as this is probably the only way someone will get away with your car - its worth it
Old 02-26-02, 10:10 AM
kamlex
Driver School Candidate

Hi Matthew

Thanks for the advice. Where did you get Tracker Monitor for £434.00. All the prices i have seen are much higher. My IS 200 SE will be Granite Sky, only four days to go, Yipeeeeeeee!!!!!!!
Old 02-26-02, 10:40 AM
Matthew_McNally
Driver School Candidate

Off the Lexus extras list!

sure it was exactly the same price as if you had ordered from tracker themselves (http://www.trackernetwork.co.uk/priv_svrs_set.htm)

Have you had the tefloseal coating applied?
Old 02-26-02, 11:40 AM
kamlex
Driver School Candidate

Eh, whats the Tefloseal coating. I was not offered that, nor can i see it in any of the Lexus Literature???

The Lexus accessories price list sent to me this week shows a price of £618.45 for the Tracker Monitor, which they call the RAc Trackstar Guardiian. They then want £334.88 as the lifetime subscription on top.
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-02, 01:54 PM
Matthew_McNally
Driver School Candidate

Thats not tracker (http://www.trackernetwork.co.uk/priv_svrs_set.htm) - thats TrackStar (http://www.ractrackstar.com/home.htm).

Much of a muchness I would imagine.

I have only ever used Tracer - and that did exactly what it said on the tin.

I was involved in an accident - tow truck turned up to tow the car away - mobile rang - Tracker asking if I knew my vehicle was in motion, and did I want to turnon the tracker unit and notify the police!

Tefloseal (or maybe called toughseal now - http://www.toughseal.co.uk/index.html) now is a laquer type protective couating coating.

Basically protects the car exterior (and leather interior).

To wash the car - clean with water - and chamois off.

You literally get the 'show room look' back after 15 minutes of washing and chamoising dry.

This was £195 for Lexus to apply.

Matt
Old 02-27-02, 09:58 AM
kamlex
Driver School Candidate

Question

Thanks for clarification on the Tracker issue. I'll look into those sites before i make a decision. In the time you have had your Lexus, has anyone tried to steal it or break in to it. I understand that the lexus security is top notch. I assume that your lexus does not have any visible indication that a tracker is fitted? The logic to my question is whether thieves have not attacked your car becuase they know it is hard to steal, or whther they have seen a tracker sticker and thought it is not worth it?
Thanks
Kam
Old 02-27-02, 10:03 AM
Matthew_McNally
Driver School Candidate

Kam

How long now?

2 days?

you do not get a visible sticker - this would only encourage people to rip your car apart to try and find the unit.

I have never had any trouble with people trying to break in (touch wood).

I am on 07973 249507 in the UK - if you want to go through any of this in more detail (daytime would be best - not evenings)

Matt
Old 02-27-02, 11:29 AM
kamlex
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Yep, only two days to go! The dealer phoned to confirm that the car arrived from the factory today and he gave me the new registration numeber '02' you know!

Thanks Matt for all your help and advice. I'll take you up on that and give you a call tomorrow during the day.

Thanks again.