IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Just picked up the new Sportcross tonight!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-08, 12:42 AM
g2racer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up the new Sportcross tonight!

Well, after nearly five years of being with my lady SC, I thought it was time to expand the herim a little and cross over to the sedan (or 5-door) side of life again. Kind of feels nice on this side of the Forum I caught this white beauty just in time as she posted on Craigslist: Only two hours before I made the call...crazy!

A 2002 with 98k miles, a 2-owner car, $9500 and she's beautiful inside and out - interior is perfect, no tearing on the leather seat bolsters or chewed up steering wheel to deal with... carpets are clean and not worn anywhere, no scuffs on the kick panels on the doors, all the windows and power options work great, headliner's mint, and the motor hums like new! Timing belt was done at 89k, ALL Lexus dealer serviced, including oil changes!

I own a '95 SC400, but I've always liked the IS, and really got to enjoy one a few years ago when a buddy of mine purchased an '02 sedan. I got to drive it a bunch and was really taken by the superior build quality and interior features...and of course, the VVT-i inline 6... just awesome. Still, I was in love with my SC, no doubt...

I may be selling her in the near future, but not quite sure just yet. She'll have to go back to wearing her GS400 shoes,

as I will be taking the 19" Privat Netz from her and begin the modding process for the Sportcross!... get some springs, maybe some adjustable coilovers... Hmmm, let's see,

Yeah, that looks pretty nice! What do you guys think, a good start?

I know people get carried away with mods, and always want to do things right away, but for me it'll be a slow start... I really got to know the ins and outs of my SC over the last few years, with a HUGE assist from CL members. So, this being my first venture into IS-land, I'm gonna have questions for you guys, so please bare with me. I'll do my searches before I ask anything stupid, especially on things that have been answered a thousand times, so no worries.

The SC's are are notorious for certain issues at given mileage points: Control arm bushings, power steering fittings and sweating, timing belt, early wear on struts (weight), window actuators, and some leather interior wear issues with steering wheels and e-brake boots, driver's seats, etc.,

So given that, and given what all of you guys know already in the IS realm, what do you think are the top 5 upcoming known issues that I might be having to tackle soon as I creep up on 100k miles?

Thanks guys, look forward to your advice and hope you enjoy checking her out as I go along
Old 11-18-08, 11:07 AM
SupraMan17
Intermediate

nice pickup, i was actually really considering getting a sportx as a dd and leaving my sedan as a weekend getup. honestly though, even though youre creepin up on 100k there isnt much to worry about if the car has been properly maintained. the only thing ive heard of are some noises and squeaks but other than that its a pretty reliable car. people even turbo the motors over 100k without a rebuild. i usually frequent my.is and isfanatics since those sites have more information and are more specific to the IS than club lex.
Old 11-18-08, 11:45 AM
g2racer
Rookie

Thanks Man... Yeah, I was kind of wondering about the lack of viewers in this IS forum?... I think I only saw like "8 viewing" this morning, whereas over on the SC side it's always like "135 viewing". And good luck finding any threads on the SportX that aren't 4 years old!

Thanks for the nod and and info on the alternate sites
Old 11-18-08, 01:01 PM
LittleGz
Lexus Test Driver

Nice! Check out isfanatics.com
Old 11-18-08, 01:46 PM
SupraMan17
Intermediate

no doubt man. you should find more up to date information on those two sites.
Old 11-18-08, 03:04 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats!!!
Old 11-18-08, 03:06 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good pick up.. Congratz!
Old 11-18-08, 03:07 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Nice sportcross, I think your modding is off to the right start. Only frequent issue is the jammed CD changer, seems to happen to everybody, so get a aftermarket unit when you can. Also personally, I would keep the SC, it is just so nice, I am thinking of getting one to have as my weekend car.
Old 11-18-08, 03:41 PM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Nice!! The Sportcross is definitely a good look!!
Old 11-18-08, 04:12 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

Cant wait to see you on the other forums....Nice pick-up and wheels
Old 11-18-08, 10:37 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

very nice, I love the sportcross. Good color, good wheels, all in all, love it.
Old 11-19-08, 12:27 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats on the sportX. issues are minor usually and easily caught by a good mechanic. the ball joints can go out. so put the car on a lift and see if the wheel feels loose(grap the wheel and see if it will shake left and right) also make sure to change the cabin filter(behind the glove box, its a $15part from pepboys). clean the MAF.

and feel free to hit me up with any questions. ive asked my share on here being a new owner. either gotten the questions answered or figured them out.

oh and if the cd changer jams...its no big deal. look on my.is and you will find the instructions on how to remove the deck. then there are 4 screws that give you access to the inside of the player. sometimes hard bumps on the road can jar a cd into the wrong spot.

good luck! and welcome!

recommended mods(what i did)
get the srt intake, it does help.
a good exhaust system and downpipe.
the Vais technology ipod adapter is also nice
Old 11-24-08, 01:58 PM
anotherLS
Lexus Champion

yay another sportx member, saw u already posted up on the sportx section of my.is!

welcome
Old 11-24-08, 02:01 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

wait, what.. i never knew there was a wagon.ish IS.. is that what it is? are they super rare or something, never heard about one, never seen one
Old 11-24-08, 02:31 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

^ yea, ridiculously rare but super cool

Quick Reply: Just picked up the new Sportcross tonight!