IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

1st Gen Lexus IS vs. 2001+ Audi TT or A4 opinions please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08, 08:42 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Gen Lexus IS vs. 2001+ Audi TT or A4 opinions please!!!

Im helping my girlfriend to look for a new car, well me having the experience with lexus i suggested the Gs 300 to her. She claims the car is to big for her, matter fact she calls it a "big 'ol boat" so i turned her on to the 1st Gen Lexus IS. At first she liked the car, but i guess after looking at it over and over again she thinks it looks like a Civic (yeah i almost fainted too). A few days pass and she shows me pics of an 2001 Audi A4, me personally i never really paid attention to the audi since the new gens came out (the 07+ models). I told her i really don't like the look of the interior nor exterior, kinda reminds me of the VW Jetta. So the next day she introduce me to the 2003 Audi TT 1.8 when i saw that car i was like "man how im going to fit my big *** in that little car". So she is all in ups over this little car and im trying to convince her that the IS is a better choice. I've notice some of the lexus members of audi's in their lil arrangement of cars, and im just curious how this car is on reliability and maintenance on the Audi's. If someone ever drove the TT or A4 how does the overall performance compare to the 1st Gen Lexus IS, any input would help in either or category. thanks once again
Old 12-22-08, 11:52 PM
Tangerine
Driver

Bring her to an Audi dealer and into the service department and request some price quotes for maintenance, service and repairs. They should sway her to the Lexus side. Audi have the prepaid service but useless IMO. Are you asking about the 1.8L? They reliable but its their electronics that you should be more concerned about. But I say, she should get whatever she likes. If you girlfriend gets a car she doesn't like you won't be happy, personal experience lol.
Old 12-23-08, 06:55 AM
SupraMan17
Intermediate

my friend has the 2001 a4...honestly? it drives exactly like the vw jetta. the interior finish is just a little bit better...and by a little i dont mean a lot. but shes probably more into the looks...then the audi wins...but i agree with Tangerine. she should get what she wants...the TT is way too small for my tastes. i drove my neighbor's around once and everytime i went in and out of the car i would smack my head against the top...if she had to choose between the audi's...i would get the a4. out of all the cars...id get the lex. btw...pics of your girl? might help me help you better hahaha
Old 12-23-08, 11:25 AM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

thanks tangerine and supra man i appericate the opinions, i heard alot of eletronically problems from benz and some from BMW so i asssume audi would be right around that area as well. we had a nice lil talk i told her (like you guys said) get what u like because you the one thats gotta drive it every day. i mention the IS because it's realiable and maybe a little cheaper to repair if needed. for my girlfiend she is a little girl, 5'2 100 something pounds soaking wet so the TT she can fit into no problem. lol and nice try supra ma, she already got a thing for fast cars, if she found out u have a supra i think we gonna have some problems . for the 1.8L im not sure which one that is, only ones she mention to me was the TT and the A4.
Old 12-23-08, 02:51 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

My question is will the car be heavily modded or not? If say just to have a stock car, maybe with some bolt on's and rims, and relability, and cost of parts is the big concern go with the IS300. If heavy mods are involved, and peformence is the ultimate goal, go with the A4, the 1.8 is turbocharged already, and there are many audi tuners that can pump the A4 very easily, a chip upgrade gives 60hp! Just be aware of the cost and maintence to run a european car. One last thing, I love my IS300 interior, but even the automotive press agrees, Audi makes some of the best interiors.
Old 12-23-08, 03:41 PM
Tangerine
Driver

Originally Posted by Str8 VIP
thanks tangerine and supra man i appericate the opinions, i heard alot of eletronically problems from benz and some from BMW so i asssume audi would be right around that area as well. we had a nice lil talk i told her (like you guys said) get what u like because you the one thats gotta drive it every day. i mention the IS because it's realiable and maybe a little cheaper to repair if needed. for my girlfiend she is a little girl, 5'2 100 something pounds soaking wet so the TT she can fit into no problem. lol and nice try supra ma, she already got a thing for fast cars, if she found out u have a supra i think we gonna have some problems . for the 1.8L im not sure which one that is, only ones she mention to me was the TT and the A4.

Your welcome, German cars are often overengineered. 1.8T is the 4 cylinder turbo version, they also have a 2.8L V6.

I don't have a Supra or anything fast, just a Camry. Something to think about *hint hint

As mentioned a simple chip for the 1.8T will net you good gains. But afterwards the performance parts will cost more than the Lexus'.

Good luck.
Old 12-23-08, 08:24 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tangerine

Your welcome, German cars are often overengineered. 1.8T is the 4 cylinder turbo version, they also have a 2.8L V6.

I don't have a Supra or anything fast, just a Camry. Something to think about *hint hint

As mentioned a simple chip for the 1.8T will net you good gains. But afterwards the performance parts will cost more than the Lexus'.

Good luck.
man the new camry are nice!!!! i never knew there were 3 different version of the audi A4, i see there is a 1.8T, a 3.0 and i guess a 2.8. But why did they make a 2.8 and a 3.0 thats kinda odd to me but whut do i know. so basically what y'all saying is to go for the 1.8T if she was to pick the A4, therefore the upgrade possbilities are there if needed. ok? and the Audi TT only comes with the 1.8T engine and once again uprade option is there? well after looking at some TT i seen a black one with brown saddle interior man that thing had me like . but i have to admit y'all proved me wrong, she ask me to post a thread to get some outside opinions and i told her "the lexus guys are gonna kill me if i mention that you want to pick a Audi A4/TT over a IS 300, they might even run me off the site!!!" I guess it goes to show you that even though one have much love for the lexus one can still be open minded........ thanks

o to answer 2002 GGPIS3 i doubt she would modd the car like how you or I would, only thing she might do is rims and tint. i guess once she get use to that type of power i might look into that chip that y'all mention and also do simple upgrade to the stock turbo.
Old 12-23-08, 10:09 PM
Tangerine
Driver

Yea the Camry does it job as my daily driver's daily driver =)

The 3.0L went into the B6 chassis A4 (which replaced the 2.6) while the 1.8 and the 2.6 were for the B5 (generation you are talking about). Stock wise the 2.6 has more power than the 1.8, but when you modify it the 1.8 has more potential. Both engines are solid but I would say the V6 is a bit more reliable because it is NA.

You can think of the TT as an A4 coupe, make sure it comes with a rear lip cause the previous generations that doesn't have one had issues. But you would have to be going real fast for it to take into effect, not that important.

The A4 has a FWD and AWD choice while the IS300 is only RWD, if snow and bad roads are a concern where you live those drivetrains should be considered.

Oh and the K04 (from the RS4) can be swapped for more power in the 1.8.

We're here to help, I dunno about the other members but I'm a car enthusiast that likes all kinds of cars.

Good luck with the car shopping
Old 12-23-08, 10:19 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when i totalled my previous lexus in july, i was between the s4, a6, gs300, and the is300. i know several shop owners in my area and asked them their thoughts. over engineered or now the audi sedans were always in the shop, where as the lexus/toyotas were only needing to come in for general maintenance. a buddy of mine bought the exact car i wanted a black on black 2003 a6....and was kicking himself for buying it when gas prices were so high. im sure you guys will make the right decision. and definately make it her decision. and take your time, there are pleanty of all these models out there.
Old 12-24-08, 09:14 AM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

thanks tangerine and 3rdelement i appericate the info, well i myself is into japanese make. i had a buddy who oned and earlier BMW 318 i believe the hatchback im not sure about the numbers but it wasd hatchback. She had all kinds of problems with that car and later traded it in for a VW Jetta. All i ever owned was Honda accords, till i picked up my GS. with each honda i never had serious problems all i did the regular maintance on it. never been a fan of german cars... wait a minute im lying. all of the german cars that i like i couldn't afford at the time, like the M3, M5, 645, 745, S65AMG etc. lol. well for her i hate to say but she still stuck on the Audi, im going to try to get her to test drive the all of the cars so she can base her decision off of that. Right now she is going on looks (interior/exterior) but we all kno once you sit in that car and pull off the lot bout time you come back to the lot your mind can quickly change. Hopefully after she takes a ride in the IS, Audi TT, and A4 she might say "hmmm, the Civic look is not that bad after all" lol *thats what she think of the IS, a Civic look-a-like*
Old 12-24-08, 11:54 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its still interesting to me how many questions i get on my car. People just dont believe that its a lexus. Once i convince them of that fact they always ask me how much work ive done to it. Most people cant believe the color, the guages, and the stance of the car is stock. I love that!

good luck though on the car shopping. Hey it could be worse.....

FORD FESTIVA FTW!
Old 12-24-08, 01:48 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 3rdelement
Its still interesting to me how many questions i get on my car. People just dont believe that its a lexus. Once i convince them of that fact they always ask me how much work ive done to it. Most people cant believe the color, the guages, and the stance of the car is stock. I love that!

good luck though on the car shopping. Hey it could be worse.....

FORD FESTIVA FTW!
yea i might add your car has a very unique look towards it, the blue colo scheme. i guess the bottom line is long she's happy with her purchase, see me i already know what i want 2003+ black on black Gs 430 and to follow black 97+ Toyota Supra TT 6spd. well i haven't decided on which year to get but if i can find a 97 for about 30G's that would be fine by me. happy hoildays to all the CL memebers, friends, and family take it easy, be safe, and be careful on the road!!!
Old 01-03-09, 03:24 PM
lyolik
Driver School Candidate

Default i agree on that

Originally Posted by Tangerine
Bring her to an Audi dealer and into the service department and request some price quotes for maintenance, service and repairs. They should sway her to the Lexus side. Audi have the prepaid service but useless IMO. Are you asking about the 1.8L? They reliable but its their electronics that you should be more concerned about. But I say, she should get whatever she likes. If you girlfriend gets a car she doesn't like you won't be happy, personal experience lol.
i agree on that i had same experience and audi is very good cars i had 96 a4 but after audi i bot a 2nd gen gs 300