IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Problem with my IS..... Do I Need New Spark Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-09, 10:53 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with my IS..... Do I Need New Spark Plugs?

Well my check engine light has been on for a few weeks now because I need to get my o2 sensors changed. Hooked up the scan tool and the codes said need new o2 sensors and hinted to the thermostat also. But other than really smelly exhaust from the car running lean there were no real issues.

Well today I noticed that a new issue...

When I'm at a red light and it turns green, if I push the accelerator too much (about half way) the car will barely move.. And when I'm on the highway, if I try to go over 60mph the car just bogs down like it has a governor...

But really the car just won't get to 3k rpm so I'm thinking one of the cylinders is misfiring most likely because of spark plug. Sound about right?

I'm calling Lexus tomorrow and hopefully they'll have the parts and can get it fixed tomorrow.
If I can bring it into Lexus tomorrow I'm going to re-check the CEL codes to see if a new code came for the spark plugs. (misfire on...)
If it is plugs I'm getting NGK Iridium and Magnecore wires. How difficult is it to change plugs & wires on the IS?

Last edited by llllllllll; 03-09-09 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-10-09, 11:39 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine does that sort of if:
1.) i didnt let it warm up
2.) i have trac button on

but i also need new plugs.
Old 03-10-09, 11:59 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ONLY USE NGK Iridium as it is OEM. IS300 has coil overs and does not have replaceable wires. The clips that seat above the plugs are easy to break so be careful. It will be a little intensive to replace as the whole intake must be removed. Best thing to do is, label every bolt removed and hose disconnected. Plugs shoul be replaced every 60k on 1gen. I did mine at 80k, and it made a huge difference in mileage and power.
Old 03-10-09, 07:07 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

Lexus sales Denso's. Wouldnt that be considered OEM I mean, why wouldnt Lexus sell NGK, if thats OEM?

Find anything aobut the problem?

Last edited by IS3_FTW; 03-10-09 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-11-09, 10:26 PM
formosa927
Driver

Originally Posted by llllllllll
Well my check engine light has been on for a few weeks now because I need to get my o2 sensors changed. Hooked up the scan tool and the codes said need new o2 sensors and hinted to the thermostat also. But other than really smelly exhaust from the car running lean there were no real issues.

Well today I noticed that a new issue...

When I'm at a red light and it turns green, if I push the accelerator too much (about half way) the car will barely move.. And when I'm on the highway, if I try to go over 60mph the car just bogs down like it has a governor...

But really the car just won't get to 3k rpm so I'm thinking one of the cylinders is misfiring most likely because of spark plug. Sound about right?

I'm calling Lexus tomorrow and hopefully they'll have the parts and can get it fixed tomorrow.
If I can bring it into Lexus tomorrow I'm going to re-check the CEL codes to see if a new code came for the spark plugs. (misfire on...)
If it is plugs I'm getting NGK Iridium and Magnecore wires. How difficult is it to change plugs & wires on the IS?
your car is running under "limb mode" because of faulty oxygen sensor. And i am pretty sure your car is not running lean, it is running rich instead. When your oxygen sensor malfunction, your car will runs in rich mode and runs hella retard timing to protect it self. If it was misfiring, your scanner will show which cylinder has misfiring. so you do not need new spark plug unless it is at the interval for change (some said 60k and some said 90k, i am not sure either). and it does not matter if you use NGK or denso as long as it is iridium.

so replace the oxygen sensor and reset the trouble code you should be good again
Old 03-13-09, 10:29 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Yeah my mechanic said that the o2 sensors are $180 each (x4).

And he also said that the problem I was experiencing was because of my mas air flow sensor, he was revving the engine and showing me the difference and it was clear that he was correct. So he's getting me a new MAF too $150 + labor which shouln't be much because it's easy to swap out I think because it's right there.

Also I need two new tires because two of them are ready to blow at any moment he says, and I believe him because I know one of them has a HUUUGE gash. And my tires are super stretched so the gash on the sidewall isn't good. I have low profile Pirelli tires that are about $200 each.

Yeah my bill with parts and labor is $1600... ouch... Oh well my baby will be running nice with no check engine light when I get her back... Maybe in a few weeks when I recoup from this fee I'll get my spark plugs changed. I had already bought the NGK Iridiums but I brought them back when I found out it wasn't a problem with the plugs and found out my bill was $1600 hehehe

I already can't wait to feel the difference in performance with the new MAF and o2 sensors!!!! =)
Old 03-13-09, 11:51 PM
formosa927
Driver

it is cheaper to buy oxygen sensor from ebay. denso is the OEM one.

honestly, those are not too hard that you can do it by yourself. you should try to replace the oxygen sensor first and see if that correct the MAF reading. keep in mind that you are under limb mode

Last edited by formosa927; 03-13-09 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-14-09, 12:20 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i cleaned my maf when i first got my car home when i bought it. wonder if i just need a new one of those?

btw congrats. im glad ur car works good now.
Old 03-19-09, 08:44 PM
audindy
Driver School Candidate

quick question. when you pressed down on the peddle did it feel soft then catch when it moved the throttle body? i just purchased my car with a issue that sounds the same.
Old 03-21-09, 12:09 AM
formosa927
Driver

Originally Posted by audindy
quick question. when you pressed down on the peddle did it feel soft then catch when it moved the throttle body? i just purchased my car with a issue that sounds the same.
is your check engine light on?
Old 03-25-09, 12:07 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

My car is sooooooooooooooooooooooo sexy now!!!!!!!!!
$1650 later ouch!

Yeah when I pressed down on the peddle it felt hesitant then gradually started going but wouldn't go to max potential. Felt like it was lagging big time, I thought maybe fuel cut, maybe spark plugs or something obvious, but it was the MAF, I never would have thought about that...

The mechanic told me that I needed 2 new tires because two of them were cut badly. I just said, "don't worry about it, I'll get them fixed later" he said "i'm not going to let you drive out of here with these bad tires, I don't want you to kill yourself out there" My mechanic is a friend who is really nice, honest, sincere. He's viet and is good friends with my gf so I know he's a good guy, and to hear him say that I could really feel that he doesn't want me to get hurt. And I'm glad he changed the tires because the vibrations that I was having in my steering wheel which I thought were being caused by warped rotors were actually coming from my bad wheels!!