IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Infiniti G35

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-02, 07:50 AM
ZoomSport
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infiniti G35

I just visited my local Infiniti dealer today, and boy oh boy.... Let's rewind to about a month ago. My local Nissan dealership started to brag about the new G35 coming, and the new FX SUV. So I waited to check out the Lexus competition. Now let's fast forward to today. I was so grossed out about the whole interior and exterior of the G35. The weird air ducts and the side front seat adjusters are not practical designs. The sun roof is way too small, and the rear manual seat adjust would seem like a problem in the future. The rear light's angle slightly resemble the old Altima, (The new one- I have to say also looks cheap... because they knocked off the GS!) That steering wheel is not at all sporty, the stereo controls and ew, yuk, gross tape deck are awfull designs. But most of all, I didn't like the fact that a so-called sport-luxury vehicle wouldn't have a complete spare tire. Not to mention the cheap looking trunk interior with cardboard lining. I'm sorry to say that the styling is better than previously, but Infiniti will find it so hard to compete with the rest of the luxury vehicles. Nissan may have faster engines, but there aren't a lot of Nissan/Infiniti vehicles that last here. In my opinion, I think Nissan and Infiniti are cheap and rather embarrasing immitators of luxury vehicles. (Like a Fake Louis Vuitton ) They try, but they try way too hard. That's my peace. Lexus and Toyota Rules!
Old 03-18-02, 04:35 PM
VVTIS
Driver

I could not agree with you more, the car is nasty! I have seen many pics of it and none will lure me in, it is not worth going to the dealer to look at. I think the interior is nasty, it is huge, the only thing going for it is the engine, and in some cases that is all that people want.
Old 03-20-02, 08:22 AM
Rob L
Rookie

I sat it one at the auto show here last month and liked it. In fact, if I had to replace my IS with another car in the same class, I'd get the G35. However, I'd still take the IS over it any day of the week.
Old 03-20-02, 01:18 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I like the G35..... nice car,, but seem to be gettin pricey..
Old 03-21-02, 07:21 PM
ineedblownIS300
Driver School Candidate

Default I must be gettin old...

I just drove the G35 with leather, 200 watt Bose, and sunroof that listed for $31,435. My impression? I really liked it, it's a far more substantial car than the IS300, way more luxurious, way faster, much more room, and great handling. Here's my issue with the IS300. I haven't gotten one because I've been waiting for competing models(G35 w/6 speed, 350Z, RX-8, etc.). Also I've been waiting to see how the aftermarket forced induction kits come along for the IS300. Bottom line - unless you live in Baltimore, Southern Cali, or Tampa, superchargers and turbos just don't make sense. Plus you void your warranty, plus if you wreck the car your "investment" in aftermarket go-fast goodies is gone (am I right Fairuza11?). If lexus wants to strip off the luxury to call the IS300 a sport sedan then they need to make up the difference in horsepower! I'm sorry but the car is grossly underpowered AND non-luxurious for $32,000 - you have to have one or the other. I love the way the IS300 looks but it's official, I'm not buying one.

JMHO, good tuning...
Old 03-25-02, 01:53 PM
Rob L
Rookie

define "way faster" I have a hard time believing that the G35 is "way faster" than a 5 speed manul IS300. Sure it might be a little quicker but "way faster" to me would be like comparing a GS430 to a Dodge Neon.

Thanks for the impressions of the G35. However, I must say it seems like all you really care about are HP numbers and off the line speed.

I personally prefer handling over speed because I have no need to be trying to drag race everyone at stop lights. To each his own I guess.

Oh and it is fairly luxurious although what the G35 does seem more luxurious. I guess it all comes down to what one defines luxury. All I know is that I do find the IS to be fairly luxurious and well, I have an LS430 so I think I can comment on luxury.
Old 03-26-02, 03:34 AM
Scrap
Driver School Candidate

define "way faster" I have a hard time believing that the G35 is "way faster" than a 5 speed manul IS300.
To be fair, comparing an auto G35 to a manual IS300 isn't exactly a good comparison. Wait for the 6 speed manual G35 to come out in the fall before comparing... If you compare the auto g35 against the auto IS300, then the G35 definitely wins (except for the subjective things like, looks, etc.).

The G35 is an excellent vehicle, which in my opinion, pretty much tops the IS300 in every category except for steering feel, which is important to me (the G35 just doesn't convey "road feel" very well).

Of course, the IS300 isn't new (basically, it's a 1999 model if you get technical), so I would expect the G35 to be a bit nicer (I'm positive the IS300 was looked at when engineering this car).

I'm hoping the new IS300 (in 2004 or whenever) will raise the bar again as well...
Old 03-26-02, 05:53 PM
ineedblownIS300
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Rob L
define "way faster" I have a hard time believing that the G35 is "way faster" than a 5 speed manul IS300. Sure it might be a little quicker but "way faster" to me would be like comparing a GS430 to a Dodge Neon.
Okay I'll give you that, I should have said noticeably faster. But to be fair, you have to look at automatic to automatic, or wait a few months to compare 5sp(IS300) to 6sp(G35). Another poster was right when he said you have to look at the market. I really like the looks of the IS300, but I'm 35 and have to have a little bit more speed and luxury, even if I have to sacrifice a little bit of handling(which, by the way I'm not convinced I do since I thought the G35 handled really well). Plus the Is300 cramps my shoulders a bit. Bottom line is I would have gotten an IS300 5sp the day they came out if they had even 250hp. Maybe they're working on an IS320 or an IS300 Twin Turbo. Anyway, I'm not criticizing anyone for getting an IS300, you really can't go wrong with a Lexus. I just prefer the G35 but I will definitley wait to drive the 6sp and the Nissan 350Z 6sp.

Old 03-28-02, 10:13 PM
ZoomSport
Driver School Candidate

Angry I'm Outraged!

I'm outraged by the way the local Nissan/Infiniti dealers treated me when I went back to their showroom. I wanted one of my friends to compare the Lexus IS and the new G35 from her point of view. So me and 2 of my friends went down to the local showroom and then when we stepped in, no one was there to help or greet us. The next thing was that after looking at the car for one minute, someone decided to surprise us and said, "This car is the Bomb!" and that .... "It beats the BMW." I'm not really into BMW's but I've got to freakin put my foot down. BMW is a competitor of Lexus and Mercedes. Although I don't own a BMW, I know for a fact that Nissan and Infiniti are not even the least bit comparable to any of the Luxury lines, and that includes Toyota. Anywho, let me comment on the stupid ergonomic design of Infiniti... I didn't like the swiveling aircon ducts-they seemed cheap and unthought of, didn't like the dinky sunroof, didn't like the so-called "square" 3-spoke steeringwheel with its controlls, the seat adjusters on the upper side- the reason why other car companies put controlls out of sight on the bottom is because it is less likely for something to hit the controls while you're driving than when it's up at the top right on the seat. The thing about Nissand and Infiniti is they don't perfect their technology before they release it. Toyota had years of experience and research before releasing thier upper end models- hence the motto "The passionate pursuit of perfection" Getting back to the quirks- the manual lumbar support for the driver's seat- luxury? NOT! How about the lining of the trunk.... cardboard! Everyday cardboard under cheap flimzy felt. The rear adjustable seats (manual and automatic) I wonder if the company tested these seats in car crashes before equipping their cars with these so-called luxurious options. How about the "airhead" storage spaces? Like the little compartment by the passenger seat, what the hell is that? And the dual open compartment.... is this a trunk with so tiny space? What about the retarded business card holder on the driver's side? What kind of business man would put their business cards there? I'd rather buy a Louis Vuitton Card Holder.. at least my cards won't fly away there. And instead of placing a business card holder there, they should have anchored a handle there to hold on to when the car starts to slip and slide. Anyway, here's what pissed me off the most. The sales lady at Infiniti knows one of our other friends and she asked to sit in my RX300 cause she said that she's never ridden in a Lexus before. So when she went in, she started commenting on how simple and not luxury it was. She criticized the steering wheel and said that the center console came from the Infiniti. I was about to yell at her because Lexus was one of the first Luxury line companies to use that center LCD screen. That's an outrage! God, I swear.... If anything, in my book, and my friends books- Infiniti will always be an embarrasment to any luxury line. That's a bold statement... I hate Infiniti. BMW is better than Infiniti, Lexus and Mercedes are better too. If it's called an Infiniti, then why don't their cars last longer? Here's why- because they are worried about staying afloat that they put stupid technology that they haven't tested out yet- properly- and offer it to a bunch of people wanting something new. Like when the first pentium computers came out. I think I said enough.
Old 04-02-02, 08:52 PM
BimmerLexus
Rookie

Default Re: Outraged!

You're an Idiot!

Granted Infiniti designers didn't follow anyone else, and they could have done thing differently, but cudos for NOT being a sheep!

The G35 for the money can't be beat...it handles great and has a supple ride(like BMW). The steering was very linear, and I thought feedback was great. And the drive by wire? Very responsive. I drove a demo with 3500 miles on it and on dry roads, the VCS light came on when I got on it, my M5 does that....

And for that card holder over the driver's head? It is for toll tickets..and garage stubs....GREAT idea, but I think GM does that too!

Joe
Old 04-02-02, 09:28 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: I'm Outraged!

Originally posted by ZoomSport
I'm outraged by the way the local Nissan/Infiniti dealers treated me when I went back to their showroom.
I think you're way to critical. Just because you went to a bad dealership, and dealt with a horrible sales woman shouldn't affect the perception of the entire line of cars. Another thing is that Infiniti definately is competitive with Lexus, BMW, and MB. Granted they don't sell nearly the same numbers as other the other three companies. They are more reliable than BMW's and Mercedes Benz. Acura also is compeitive in the luxury car line, so don't discount them. Many people would say that the only two maybe three competitors in the luxury car department. BMW, Mercedes Benz, and Audi (being the iffy third).

I have not had personal experience with the G35 yet, but everyone that has owned an IS loves the G35. I'm going to go test drive one in a bit to see just how right everyone else's opinions of the G35 is.
Old 04-04-02, 10:18 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Yeah- your not giving the G35 any credit- your insulting Infiniti for "copying" the center LCD screen which came from lexus, which lexus copied from many other dealers.

Your also saying that the infiniti lady made rude remarks and basiclly said your RX is plane... when you stepped into the G35, or when you step into a nother car, i am SURE that you think the same thing or have similar feelings, so it comes with the territory.

The G35 may not be extensively faster than the IS, but if your IS had the same difference of power (your is being more powerful than the G) you would be saying that is was a lot faster too!

I think that the G35 is a great car, and just because its not a lexus does not mean its a bad car, and esspecialy because the sales lady made a back impression, the car aint bad. If i were you, i would write or call the store manager and tell him your experience.. see what he does.
Old 04-06-02, 10:40 AM
glaze2001
Driver School Candidate

I hate it when you go into different car chat rooms and forums, and depeneding on the brand, people in the forum think that their car is far supierior to others. The IS300 is a great car, but the styling is subjective as is the g35's. I currently own a G35 and the car i owned before the G was a GS300. Lexus makes a great car......but the way the company looks like it is going does not appeal to me. Just take the new Es300, and the new Gx. I think lexus is going more of the luxury route that is appealing to older buyers (exluding the Is300) and infiniti is trying to go for the buyers who like luxury, but also want sport. Both cars have the advantages, and their dis-advantages, but it doesnt make them bad cars. The reason i bougt my g35 and traded my lexus was that the G35 was and amazing value for the $$. A similarily compared BMW would cost $50,000 and up, and is a smaller car with less horsepower. It doesnt really matter if other people like it, but if you like a car, then it doesnt matter what other people think. It is nice to see lexus owners that are not biased and can see the good points of other cars.
Old 04-06-02, 10:44 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by glaze2001
I hate it when you go into different car chat rooms and forums, and depeneding on the brand, people in the forum think that their car is far supierior to others. The IS300 is a great car, but the styling is subjective as is the g35's. I currently own a G35 and the car i owned before the G was a GS300. Lexus makes a great car......but the way the company looks like it is going does not appeal to me. Just take the new Es300, and the new Gx. I think lexus is going more of the luxury route that is appealing to older buyers (exluding the Is300) and infiniti is trying to go for the buyers who like luxury, but also want sport. Both cars have the advantages, and their dis-advantages, but it doesnt make them bad cars. The reason i bougt my g35 and traded my lexus was that the G35 was and amazing value for the $$. A similarily compared BMW would cost $50,000 and up, and is a smaller car with less horsepower. It doesnt really matter if other people like it, but if you like a car, then it doesnt matter what other people think. It is nice to see lexus owners that are not biased and can see the good points of other cars.
To get a truly unbiased opinion you need to ask someone that owns neither car. Actually someone that owns neither car BRAND would be best
Old 04-06-02, 02:59 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

not even because there are plenty of people here or on fa or at any forum that dont own either brnad or arent old enough to DRIVE! but still have there preference of brand. it happens a lot on the Car and Driver forums. hehe