IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

air intake/maf sensor performance question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-09, 06:15 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default air intake/maf sensor performance question

Background: I wasnt going to do an intake because ive known people that did them and then a year later theyve got a huge paperweight and now im giving them rides everywhere, i had always heard this was due to them not adjusting setting in their ECU to account for the difference with the intake

Last night: I was told by a buddy of mine that he found out the reason why that happens is because they didnt upgrade their maf sensor to a performance maf sensor, he also said that he found out the maf sensor doesnt actually send any data to the ecu other than "its good" or "its not good" basically green light red light, and since the maf sensor wasnt setup for the difference with the performance intake it was always telling the ecu "its not good" and thats what had an adverse effect on their engine

Question: How much of this is actually true?
Old 08-17-09, 05:04 AM
UNOHOO

bump.......
Old 08-17-09, 05:09 AM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u can use the stock maf on any intake... u dont need an upgraded maf.. no need for it..

if its bad.. u can clean the MAF with CRC mass air sensor cleaner. or get a new one...

is this what ur trying to say... ?? couldnt understand what ur saying..
Old 08-17-09, 05:40 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by LexusGSXR
u can use the stock maf on any intake... u dont need an upgraded maf.. no need for it..

if its bad.. u can clean the MAF with CRC mass air sensor cleaner. or get a new one...

is this what ur trying to say... ?? couldnt understand what ur saying..
sorta... i was just trying to find the truth behind the stories i keep hearing.

my maf sensor is clean, i actually just cleaned it like 2 weeks ago, but what i was really wanting to know is do i have to change settings in the ecu to accept the new airflow going into the throttle body

like i said in the first post a lt of the times when i see people that throw on a cold air intake a year later theyve got a dead engine which makes me really cautious to do this to mine for obvious reasons, just trying to collect some info about the whole subject

i did look to see if i could even find an upgraded maf sensor with no real hits, so youre sayin i shouldnt have any issues as far as the stock maf goes with a cold air intake?
Old 08-17-09, 08:21 AM
silver5spd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A MAF doesnt only send an " all good signal" it sends a lot of data to the computer which adjusts fuel and stuff.

Your friends have problems, and its not the maf.

There is no point in upgrading your maf sensor, even if you could find one, which you wont. Most likely they had a AEM intake, which is known to cause Check Engine Lights.

I have had an AEM intake and now using a modified stock box and piping. My car has seen more stress than your friends car, plus I rev to 7200 rpm and autocross monthly. No dead engine.
Old 08-17-09, 12:43 PM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by silver5spd
A MAF doesnt only send an " all good signal" it sends a lot of data to the computer which adjusts fuel and stuff.

Your friends have problems, and its not the maf.

There is no point in upgrading your maf sensor, even if you could find one, which you wont. Most likely they had a AEM intake, which is known to cause Check Engine Lights.

I have had an AEM intake and now using a modified stock box and piping. My car has seen more stress than your friends car, plus I rev to 7200 rpm and autocross monthly. No dead engine.
thats what i thought

thanks for the info bro