IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Snowy weather in the is?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-09, 01:38 PM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stoked
The Utah roads are rarely all that bad (I would know I have lived here for years). Just make sure that you don't have summer tires. A good all season tire and conservative driving is all you need to survive. Snow tires would also be a good investment, as that is what I have used! Hope you enjoy it here, Utah is a beautiful place in the winter!
Good to know...thanks! I have a trip booked to Utah this winter. Staying at our timeshare....planning on boarding at Powder mtn and Snowbasin! Also, driving my Sportx equipped w/dedicated snow tires...of course. =)
Old 10-28-09, 05:47 PM
stoked
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sway162
Good to know...thanks! I have a trip booked to Utah this winter. Staying at our timeshare....planning on boarding at Powder mtn and Snowbasin! Also, driving my Sportx equipped w/dedicated snow tires...of course. =)
If you are going to be driving up to the resorts, chances are that you may need chains. Some of the canyons require chains if the conditions are at, or expected to be of a certain severe weather. The main thing to worry with on a RWD is coming down an icy road, where you are descending, and not being able to negotiate a curve or corner in the road. Ascending a steep road can also be difficult with your drive wheels fighting against both the weight and added gravity! To sum it all up... snag some chains, even if you have snow tires!

-J-
Old 10-30-09, 07:45 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

If you are going to be driving up to the resorts, chances are that you may need chains. Some of the canyons require chains if the conditions are at, or expected to be of a certain severe weather. The main thing to worry with on a RWD is coming down an icy road, where you are descending, and not being able to negotiate a curve or corner in the road. Ascending a steep road can also be difficult with your drive wheels fighting against both the weight and added gravity! To sum it all up... snag some chains, even if you have snow tires!

-J-
Thanks J for the input....Yup, already planning on bringing the chains for sure! Once we get to our resort, we are taking the shuttle to get to Powder Mtn and Snowbasin...so that's a plus.
Old 10-31-09, 09:03 AM
stoked
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

See now the shuttle thing... there is a good idea! We usually take my GX up to the slopes and it does pretty well, even though I did put mud/snow tires in it due to it's semi slippery nature in the snow/ice. Enjoy your trip! This place is beautiful in the snow and we just had our first blizzard this last week... I have a feeling snow will be good!
Old 10-31-09, 08:09 PM
ill roller
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I daily drive mine slammed all winter... Usually with the traction control off since all it does is make the car unpredictable.

With snow tires it's effortless in the snow, but with all seasons it can be a bit tough if you don't know how the car will react when it breaks traction. There are certainly better choices for winter vehicles, but the IS is perfectly capable.

Old 11-02-09, 08:32 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Enjoy your trip! This place is beautiful in the snow and we just had our first blizzard this last week... I have a feeling snow will be good!
Will do! I am so stoked for some light champagne powder.....here in the NW we usually get heavy wet powder which just drains your legs! lol

Yup, I have keeping tabs on the weather report their and I will everyday till I get there!

Originally Posted by ill roller
I daily drive mine slammed all winter... Usually with the traction control off since all it does is make the car unpredictable.

With snow tires it's effortless in the snow, but with all seasons it can be a bit tough if you don't know how the car will react when it breaks traction. There are certainly better choices for winter vehicles, but the IS is perfectly capable.
Nice pic! What kind of snow tires are you using?

What do you mean by the car being unpredictable with the traction control on? What's the point w/the traction button then?

I have driven a RWD vehicle in the snow before but this is will be my first with traction control and LSD....shouldn't those two help with the snow and of course the snow button....