IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Snowy weather in the is?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-09, 07:16 PM
VIPJOSH
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Snowy weather in the is?

Hey members. Looks like i might be going to utah for a couple of months (october - ?) for work. I really want to take my car but my parents are questionable on wether that would be smart with the weather condition for that time of the year. I see that we have the snow traction control but they still are spectacle. I told them that i would raise my car while i am gone (since i am tucking almost rim :d) and would go buy some nice chains. They don't think it would be smart due for me due to not having a lot of experience since no snow in san diego. I couldn't see myself leaving my car behind for that long. Its my baby. Please send any pictures or educated facts about is300 in the snow. I have seen some of you take the lexus on ski trips and so which could really help my case. Thanks to all. -josh
Old 09-06-09, 09:28 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPJOSH
Hey members. Looks like i might be going to utah for a couple of months (october - ?) for work. I really want to take my car but my parents are questionable on wether that would be smart with the weather condition for that time of the year. I see that we have the snow traction control but they still are spectacle. I told them that i would raise my car while i am gone (since i am tucking almost rim :d) and would go buy some nice chains. They don't think it would be smart due for me due to not having a lot of experience since no snow in san diego. I couldn't see myself leaving my car behind for that long. Its my baby. Please send any pictures or educated facts about is300 in the snow. I have seen some of you take the lexus on ski trips and so which could really help my case. Thanks to all. -josh
From what I gather of your English (also you meant to say skeptical--bold), I do agree that it will be difficult to manoeuver in snow with the IS given that its rear wheel drive. It isn't the ideal vehicle for the snow, but it is still possible. You'll most prob need different tires / perhaps chains...
Old 09-06-09, 09:28 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 357 Likes on 229 Posts

The IS is slick in the snow. The plushy newer IS does ok, but the 300 is just too raw of a car. It won't be horrible to the point of undriveable, but there are certainly much better choices.
Old 09-07-09, 04:31 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get some chains, raise the car and hope for the best ! Good Luck dude !
Old 09-07-09, 07:34 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i live in colorado. driove through serveral bad storms from colorado springs, over monument hill, and to denvers airport(dia). it can be done on normal street tires. but i went safe and bought a set of blizzaks. previous to that i owned a set of dunlop m3 sports on my fwd es300. put on trac control, snow control. and don be an idiot and you are fine. keep in mind though that even raised, you are lower than most cars, so you will be a lil snow plow, if to much snow falls...then you park the car 6+ inchs.

the only thing i would be careful of is your level of experience with snow. dont ever brake or accelerate in a corner. only in straight lines. but there are several is300 owners here in colorado that this is their all season vehicle. if all else fails, im sure there will be a cheap pos rusting subaru you could buy once you get there.
Old 09-07-09, 09:10 AM
UNOHOO

i live in wv so we do get snow but not like where youre going, anyway we learn to drive in the snow around here by going to the parking lot of the mall or some big open paved surface like that and just play around in the snow with the car, cut the wheel hit the brakes, just mess around and youll get the hang of it, and yea i cant see this car being very good in the snow
Old 09-07-09, 12:44 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive up to the mtn's to go snowboarding in myIS. LOL
I just throw on some chains and then I can go up hills. The main thing that will get you worried, is trying to get going on a hill. Well, that goes for any cars that doesnt have chains.

I to go in the parking lots to test my skills in the snow. Especially, when it doesnt snow up here in WA, all that much in the low lands. I just have fun and try to drift LOL
Old 09-07-09, 07:18 PM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Buy a set of good snow tires....not all season tires...but snow tires!

Take it slow and you will be okay. If it's too miserable to drive then don't risk it.

I plan to take my ride to the slopes this year.....FYI Can't wait! =)
Old 09-07-09, 07:47 PM
bbailes163
Driver School Candidate

i live in wv too and ive drove mine in some pretty bad storms but it still came through alright and youll be suprised on how much the snow control helps haha
Old 09-07-09, 08:30 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sway162
Buy a set of good snow tires....not all season tires...but snow tires!

Take it slow and you will be okay. If it's too miserable to drive then don't risk it.

I plan to take my ride to the slopes this year.....FYI Can't wait! =)
Speaking of the slopes, gonna text you about them boards
Old 09-08-09, 09:45 PM
DallasIS
Pole Position

be careful.. i have a little experience in snow driving and one snowy day in dallas i lost control on reg. street tires and totaled my car.. so

best i can say is drive slow and every turn be rdy to drift lol i was going straight and had to switch lanes.. and my back tire slipped and i started going sideways on the highway at 60mph.. ended up under a semi..so BE EASYY!!

Good Luck, first couple days leave realllly early for work
Old 09-08-09, 10:39 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I did winter w. the 300 for a few years (even took it skiing). I find it's about how good of a driver you are and less about the car.

That said, if you have the option of a more snow-inclined vehicle you might use that instead.
Old 09-08-09, 11:06 PM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS3_FTW
Speaking of the slopes, gonna text you about them boards
Yup! Hit me up anytime bro! Arbor boards represent!
Old 10-06-09, 03:24 PM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah everybody forgets about the time when 99% of the cars out slushing around were RWD. They survived.

Get sandbags and put them in the trunk. My GS300 takes good grip with about 100 lbs over the rear tires in Chicago snows. (Our stuff melts then turns to ice then it snows again, really fun) I only lose about 1 mpg too.
Old 10-27-09, 12:22 PM
stoked
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The Utah roads are rarely all that bad (I would know I have lived here for years). Just make sure that you don't have summer tires. A good all season tire and conservative driving is all you need to survive. Snow tires would also be a good investment, as that is what I have used! Hope you enjoy it here, Utah is a beautiful place in the winter!

Quick Reply: Snowy weather in the is?