IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

IS300 question: To buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-09 | 04:05 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by voleduy
i have not ever seen the IS300 without the leather or sunroof, they come with the IS300 from the first year. if i was you, i would not buy it.
+1. I would not buy it, a Lexus without leather just isn't a Lexus, no matter what the model. Every time I see an ES without the leather , I cringe !!
Old 10-09-09 | 06:56 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by AnF
Give me the stats on ur car. It does have heated seats and 16" rims. So when I get it, the first thing i want to do is get the 17' OEM rims on it. I'm thinking about getting it just because it's a nice car with low kms. The price is the lowest that I have seen 02 is300 go for. I'm not planning to mod it, I like it cuz it's reliable and I like the looks of it.
2 things

1. just because its the lowest price doesnt mean its the best buy

2. if you were to buy one from a car enthusiast like faymester (not pressuring you to buy her car or anything, just using her as an example) then you know that there is a lot of maintenance and PREVENTATIVE maintenance that has been done that most people do not think about, if you arent handy and need to get someone else to do your car work for you, THIS CAR IS EXPENSIVE, the whole reason i even got into working on cars was because i couldnt afford to take my rx 300 to the shop and needed to learn how to do it myself

i know some of this may seem obvious to you but maybe not, i figure its better to go ahead and say it than not say it and you not know it
Old 10-09-09 | 06:57 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by tromly
+1. I would not buy it, a Lexus without leather just isn't a Lexus, no matter what the model. Every time I see an ES without the leather , I cringe !!
lol, ive seen the cloth seats ones, its actually not bad lookin, but...i like leather lol
Old 10-09-09 | 08:06 AM
MCV20
Lexus Test Driver

Cloth is fine.......but 16" is a big no no....
i think when that car was new.. is around $36000 CAD....(base)

http://media.toyota.ca/pr/tci/en/lex..._300_specs.doc
Old 10-10-09 | 10:27 AM
AnF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MCV20
Cloth is fine.......but 16" is a big no no....
i think when that car was new.. is around $36000 CAD....(base)

http://media.toyota.ca/pr/tci/en/lex..._300_specs.doc
I plan on getting the 17' OEM Lexus rims right when I get the car. Is the maintainence for the car really expensive like what everybody has been talking about?
Old 10-10-09 | 01:21 PM
voleduy
Pole Position

just wait until you found a better car like me, i been waiting for almost a year!
Old 10-12-09 | 11:21 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UNOHOO

2. if you were to buy one from a car enthusiast like faymester (not pressuring you to buy her car or anything, just using her as an example) then you know that there is a lot of maintenance and PREVENTATIVE maintenance that has been done that most people do not think about, if you arent handy and need to get someone else to do your car work for you, THIS CAR IS EXPENSIVE, the whole reason i even got into working on cars was because i couldnt afford to take my rx 300 to the shop and needed to learn how to do it myself

i know some of this may seem obvious to you but maybe not, i figure its better to go ahead and say it than not say it and you not know it
Thanks man I've definitely done everything and then some for my car, and yea, some of it has been expensive; but it's the story of a luxury car, ever so often there will be a big deal expensive thing (100 mile/130k km service, aiya that was spendy) and then for a long time after, nothing but little things (like oil change)

AnF: you have a PM