I need some advice about IS3s... possible purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09, 03:48 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some advice about IS3s... possible purchase

Hello IS forums!

My name is Rob, coming over from the 1st gen GSs, and I'm looking into possibly purchasing an 01 IS3 with 75K on the clock for 10K. It is in flawless condition, not a ding in it, Silver, with a Wald Lip Kit all around. Timing belt and other maintenance was just completed and it has all new tires. The owner is also throwing in a CF VIS hood and 19" Axis Staggered Wheels with new tires as well. Audio system has been upgraded to a touchscreen indash DDIN.

I took a test drive in it today, through twisties and all around NJ. It is smooth, powerful, and solid.

My questions for you are;

1. Is this a good deal?
2. I need this to run reliably and well, with nothing but the basic maintenance done to it for at least 5 years. Can it do that?
3. Every car has its problems and its unique issues. What can I expect from a finicky IS3?
4. Any other advice you might have?

Thanks.

Rob
Old 10-14-09, 06:49 PM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

good deal.. Do what ur instants tells you.. what do u think of the car yourself.. dont let no one tell u to get it or not...

if u can post a pic of it on here for all of us too see.. then do it!
Old 10-14-09, 07:09 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Here are some pics of this. I want to give him an answer by tomorrow. I'm really feelin' it.

And I did a search here and found some of the common problems/irritants/flaws etc. Seems like a good all around vehicle. Just gas mileage could be better.

Personally, I'm just not a fan of the eyelids.
Old 10-14-09, 08:08 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

In searching as you know, the big problem is the CD changer jamming all the time( but the car you are looking at has a aftermarket uni,t a good thing. Also being in new Jersey, watch out for rust, especially in the rear, this ate my brake calipers, because I drove on Pennsylvania roads in the winter.
Last thing, hate to see your GS go, it was one of the best 1st gen GS's out there, if you have wallpaper quality pics of your GS please post them.
Old 10-14-09, 08:18 PM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll take the eyelids if you dont want them I have been looking for that one haha. It looks nice. jump on it and drop your turbokit in it
Old 10-14-09, 10:16 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Those aren't Wald sides, but the car looks good!
Old 10-14-09, 10:46 PM
VIPJOSH
Lead Lap

I would get it. I remembered when it was first on sale here and i almost sold my car to get it.
Old 10-15-09, 04:38 AM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

oh wow.. i would take that car... change the wheels, change the Hood, and be good to go.
Old 10-15-09, 05:04 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd take the deal, car looks clean, couldn't get anything new for a car with all that curb appeal, GO FOR IT!!
Old 10-15-09, 05:53 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
In searching as you know, the big problem is the CD changer jamming all the time( but the car you are looking at has a aftermarket uni,t a good thing. Also being in new Jersey, watch out for rust, especially in the rear, this ate my brake calipers, because I drove on Pennsylvania roads in the winter.
Last thing, hate to see your GS go, it was one of the best 1st gen GS's out there, if you have wallpaper quality pics of your GS please post them.
Thanks man, i really appreciate that. I'm gonna miss the 1GS alot. I have some almost wallpaper quality pics, its just I was almost done with the car. there were three things left on the list of things to do, so I never took serious pictures...

Oh well. Life goes on...

Originally Posted by Lazy
I'll take the eyelids if you dont want them I have been looking for that one haha. It looks nice. jump on it and drop your turbokit in it
If I get this, you can buy mine , as to boosting it...

I need this one to stay as reliable and stock as possible. If I drop this amount of money on it right away, I've gotta control myself and my spending lol.

So no boost yet. Feel like buying my kit?

Originally Posted by MaxNine
Those aren't Wald sides, but the car looks good!
What kind of sides are they? I thought this was a Wald kit, all around.

Originally Posted by LexusGSXR
oh wow.. i would take that car... change the wheels, change the Hood, and be good to go.
He is including in the sale the stock hood and stock wheels. My plan is to sell the hood and Axis wheels.

Originally Posted by VIPJOSH
I would get it. I remembered when it was first on sale here and i almost sold my car to get it.
Is he a member here? I mentioned ClubLexus to him a few times, but he didn't seem to know what it was.

Originally Posted by tromly
I'd take the deal, car looks clean, couldn't get anything new for a car with all that curb appeal, GO FOR IT!!
I'm gonna call him later today and see what agreement we can come to.
Old 10-15-09, 07:36 AM
VIPJOSH
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexatlast
is he a member here? I mentioned clublexus to him a few times, but he didn't seem to know what it was.
i have seen it before on the classifieds.
Old 10-15-09, 10:43 AM
Sceptre
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I personally think it is a good deal. With the mods (from pictures) on the car (wheels, hood, kit, electronics, suspension) plus he already did the 90K service which is $1,000 easy, it's like you are getting the car for 7K or less. It's a really good deal if you ask me. Hurry up and get it before someone else does. Good luck.
Old 10-15-09, 12:24 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just hurry up and buy this car already!
Old 10-15-09, 12:58 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rising_Sun
Just hurry up and buy this car already!
you and your peer pressure...

you just want the wheels, greedy...
Old 10-15-09, 01:29 PM
shhhua
Lead Lap

id buy it. its a good price for the amount of miles it has. good thing that youll sell those eyelids if/when you buy it, not a fan of them. but other than that, looks good to me!

Quick Reply: I need some advice about IS3s... possible purchase