Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 04:52 PM
jrubs1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem after oil change

Hope someone can help me
model - 2003 is300

OK, so i decided to do my oil change the other day. I switched from synthetic to conventional oil and everything went fine. When i started the car and backed out of the drive way i noticed it was stuttering when you are stopped and hit the gas (almost as if its not catching the gears right away). Also if you give it some gas to move forward you hear the engine rev and about 5 seconds later it catches it and jolts as if you were trying to burn out. I checked the lines next to the oil filter and everything is in place. I also read that it could be that the MAF sensor is dirty, so i cleaned it with the MAF cleaner from auto zone and disconnected the battery to reset the ECU - however there was no change. Can someone please let me know what else it can be ??
Old 10-28-09, 06:02 PM
VIPJOSH
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

idk what your problem is but i have always heard that it is bad to go back after your car has received synthetic
Old 10-29-09, 04:24 AM
UNOHOO

x 2 on vipjoshs comment, you shouldnt go from syth back to dino

lets start with the basics though, what filter did you use? what oil did you use and what weight? what did you notice about the oil you were draining out?

as far as your "burnout" issue, that sounds more drivetrain than engine, but keep listing symptoms and testing and we will help you as much as we can
Old 10-29-09, 04:34 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
x 2 on vipjoshs comment, you shouldnt go from syth back to dino

lets start with the basics though, what filter did you use? what oil did you use and what weight? what did you notice about the oil you were draining out?

as far as your "burnout" issue, that sounds more drivetrain than engine, but keep listing symptoms and testing and we will help you as much as we can
+1 on the drivetrain issue, that can't be related to your oil change. Good Luck
Old 10-29-09, 08:21 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

The car is pissed.

I would be too if you took me from steak to chicken.
Old 10-29-09, 11:50 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Switching back and forth between synthetic and conventional oil will NOT damage your engine.

Maybe your oil cap or oil dip stick is not fully secured. Or did you drain and fill the transmission fluid instead?
Old 10-29-09, 03:35 PM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by BDSL
Switching back and forth between synthetic and conventional oil will NOT damage your engine.

Maybe your oil cap or oil dip stick is not fully secured. Or did you drain and fill the transmission fluid instead?
weeeelllllllll.............i dont remember exactly what it was saying but i read an article on bobistheoilguy.com one time about switching oil based on what was on sale, like i said i dont remember the actual reason they were saying it was bad but that it was, switching once and staying with that one no issue but going valvoline, castrol, pennzoil, etc etc etc was not good, maybe it was something to do with the additives each manufacturer puts into their oil and how those interact with each other, like i said i cant remember

Thats what i was thinkin too! thats why i asked about what did he notice about the oil itself when draining it
Old 10-29-09, 06:16 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
weeeelllllllll.............i dont remember exactly what it was saying but i read an article on bobistheoilguy.com one time about switching oil based on what was on sale, like i said i dont remember the actual reason they were saying it was bad but that it was, switching once and staying with that one no issue but going valvoline, castrol, pennzoil, etc etc etc was not good, maybe it was something to do with the additives each manufacturer puts into their oil and how those interact with each other, like i said i cant remember
Valvoline, Castrol (Made in USA), Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Quaker State, etc are only group III synthetic oil.
Whereas Redline, Royal Purple, Amsoil and a few others are true group IV synthic oil.

Once again, there is no harm switching back and forth between synthetic and conventional oil.
Old 11-03-09, 01:49 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Did you accidently drain the tranny fluid?
Old 11-03-09, 02:50 PM
Marsin
Driver School Candidate

yeah..... thats an unusual problem u have.....check out your trany oil qty!
Old 11-03-09, 02:52 PM
Marsin
Driver School Candidate

and was it yourself that changed the oil or a shop of some sort