IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Navagation System

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-02, 01:15 PM
NDCENT1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navagation System

Well it has been a while since I have posted here but I read the threads everyday. There was one awhile back about Navagation systems in the 2001 models. I finished this sometime ago and never got around to posting the picture of it. So I finally got my digital camera up and running so here is the picture of it. It is the Kenwood Nav system going into the Kenwood Touch Screen. I took the top piece of the dash where the 2002 factory one would go and molded the screen into it. I know, I know..... I should have motorized it but did not want to spend the time to do it. I will be redoing it here in the next month or so just to change it around. Well that's it for now. Will post pics again after I redo it. Have any questions please feel free to ask.
Attached Thumbnails Navagation System-nav-screen.jpg  

Last edited by NDCENT1; 04-30-02 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-30-02, 03:15 PM
hubbard316
Pole Position

Do you think you could make a mold for a 98 GS300 with the same system? Let me know something.

Thanks
Old 04-30-02, 03:21 PM
NDCENT1
Rookie

I would have to see the dash to do it. The dash on mine is the factory piece but enclosure is all done with hand laid fiberglass. It should not be a problem to do it. I just need to see what the dash looks like. Do you have a pic of it or a place besides the dealer that I could look at one? Is the 98 dash different from the current model? Let me know.
Old 05-01-02, 11:26 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, that's price clean! how do you like your kenwood nav? have you ever used the alpine nav? im deciding whether to keep my alpine nav and get the kenwood nav. thanks!
Old 05-01-02, 12:50 PM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

alpine and denso ranks top for ease of use and functionality as far as navigation goes. stick with it.

that is a very clean install you have on your is300, good luck with future mods.
Old 05-01-02, 05:56 PM
NDCENT1
Rookie

Thanks for the kind words.... Well I really don't have a choice as far as liking my Kenwood as I just so happen to work for the company. So I am stuck there. But the truth is that both are good. It all depends what you want. The 2 biggest differences are first of all Kenwood has the touch screen. Second, Alpine only uses NavTech Navigation software which covers approx. 1.6 million miles in the US and Canada. The Kenwood however uses NavTech and GDT which is put together by Denso for us and we map 5.5 million miles. Yes Alpine does have more POI's and the ability to look up things by phone number. We at the moment do not have enough storge on our DVD to fit all that. Our mapping software takes up about 90% of it. The other 10% is POI's and of course a few other things. Like I said, both systems are great it all depends what you like. If you like Alpine, then you will get a great product with a great reputation. If you like Kenwood, you will also get a great product with a great reputation. So the choice is yours.........
Old 05-04-02, 07:02 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

the only thing wrong IMO with the kenwood is the touchscreen which is bad and gives finerprints, etc.
Old 05-04-02, 09:03 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HEY TOOG, so what you are saying is that you think touchscreen is bad? please enlighten me because i'm about to switch from the alpine iva-c800 to the kenwood kvt 911.

if you have any info, please let me know. this is a HUGE purchase, and i'd hate to waste my money.
Old 05-05-02, 08:01 AM
NDCENT1
Rookie

Well he is right about the fingerprints on it. Yes you will have to clean it every now and then but that's ok. The benefits out way that. The biggest thing that you will notice is how much faster you can do things with the touch screen. We also include a remote with the KVT-911DVD so if you do not want to use the touch screen you don't have to. But if you ever misplace the remote, you will always be able to listen to your tunes. I have had every touch screen monitor that we have made and never have had a problem. If touch screens are that bad, think of all the Palm Pilots and Pocket PC's out there. Touch screens are a good thing.......

Last edited by NDCENT1; 05-05-02 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-06-02, 06:10 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Yeah, its mainly the fingerprints... A guy at good guys (iww) told me it messes up the screen or something like that... AND OMG, touchscreen is so much easier to use... in the gs430, it takes me two seconds to put in an address, but in the SC, i have to flip through with the remote... takes forever!!! But thats a really good benefit of the excelon and it has the tv tuner... so ide actually go for it.. . the only thing i dont really like is the manual fold.. you would think kenwood would have figured that part out?
Old 05-06-02, 09:19 PM
NDCENT1
Rookie

Using the touch screen will not mess up the unit at all. The reason for making it non-motorized is a couple of reasons. First of all, if you make it fully motorized it will add to the cost of the unit. Second, with it being manual, you have a infinite number of positions you can put it at. Lastly, if the unit is in the way of your A/C controls you can quickly move it down alittle to do what you need to do. If you want a fully motorized one, we offer the KVT-M700. It is a fully motorized screen with no transport. It has the abilty to have the TV Tuner and we now offer a 10 Disc DVD changer that will play CDR's, CDRW's and also it will play MP3 incoded CD's. So we offer a unit for everyone depending on what you want. So once again, the choice is up to you...........
Old 05-07-02, 08:36 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Whats the biggest in dash tv/dvd...etc system kenwood has that has a full motorized screen?

I was also thinking of getting an eclipse one... its simialer to the style in the new es300, but i think its 8 inches or something.
Old 05-07-02, 09:08 PM
NDCENT1
Rookie

The ony one that has built in DVD is the KVT-911DVD. It is not fully motorized and the screen size is 6.5. If you want a fully motorized one, get the KVT-M700 as it has a 7" touch screen and you just have to add our DVD Changer which by the way, will play DVD's, CD's, CDR's, CDRW's, VCD's and MP3 incoded CD's. That is the hot ticket right there. I had the 911DVD and gave it back for that setup. I am in the process of tearing out the screen that you saw in the picture to install this new stuff. There are a few other things going in as well but nothing major. No subs but a new amp to kick it up a bit. I need the trunk space and cannot sacrifice any of it what so ever. I may do it someday , but for now, the trunk is always full with work stuff and as always I need more room than this car has. Let me know if you have any more questions!
Old 05-09-02, 05:42 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Do you mean to tell me right when you finished your project your tearing it apart or did i misread something??? Ive been up since 4 (APs!!!)
Old 05-09-02, 05:53 PM
NDCENT1
Rookie

Nope you read it right. Just need to add some more stuff and the screen on top must go. I am gonna replace the head unit with a motorized flip out one and add DVD Changer, Music Keg and Sirius Satellite Radio. I just started it today and it will take about a week to finish it. Time is something that is not on my side so that's why it will take a week. Hopefully it will not take any longer than that. I hate being without music...........