IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Any interest in IS300 headers? $399-499 range??

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-09, 11:27 PM
IMF
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only two designs that i am aware of for the IS300 is the original toyomoto (which every other company and their mothers are offering under their own name) and the xerd's which are no longer available from what i understand. I thought the OBX design is a copy of the toyomoto's?? Please correct me if i am wrong.

Anyone has a picture of the OBX headers??

As for short tube versus long, you want it to at least be longer then stock in order to improve on the design. The toyomoto design is just a little longer then the stock so how "short" of a design are you wanting??? Shorter then stock?

Its just a little confusing. To me a long tube design will have to be longer then anything else that is already available. What is available is the "short" version. Any shorter then stock and there is no point.
Old 11-21-09, 11:40 PM
IMF
Former Sponsor

Just found a picture of the OBX headers.

Here is my problem with the OBX headers. They take the stock manifolds and send them to production using mandrel bend tubing. If you compare the stock manifolds to the OBX you will see they are pretty much the same design except for the collectors (basic aftermarket collectors with no actual performance benefit). Look at some of their v6 applications and you will see what i mean, some of their designs have a T connection which is actually worse then the stock setups.

OBX didn't design it from the ground up, they just copied the stock ones and pass it as their own design. In all actuality it works for them but its not what i would consider a real set of headers, at least not good ones.

I cant compete with a $250 price point unless you want me to do the same thing they did
Old 11-22-09, 12:14 AM
DS2k
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good stuff... I applicate the insight about the OBX headers. I thought OBX and Turbo East had the same design, but I'm not 100% on this one.

Like I mentioned before though, people will buy the headers for various proposes... I'm simply doing it to get rid of my cats; I could care less about the +/- 10HP that I'll be getting from it. I just want to maintain a solid low-end power. The reason why short runners (meaning the collector is closer up) are arguably in demand for the IS300 is simply because all the long runners help with top-end hp and torque, though the low-end rpm power suffers. Here is a reference to what I mean (headers).

That being said, I don't doubt people will most likely shell out the extra money for a top performing header, so please don't take my comment as a discouragement... after all, it's just my opinion, and there might be a room for one more great long runner after all

Last edited by DS2k; 11-22-09 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-22-09, 04:35 AM
IMF
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DS2k
good stuff... I applicate the insight about the OBX headers. I thought OBX and Turbo East had the same design, but I'm not 100% on this one.

Like I mentioned before though, people will buy the headers for various proposes... I'm simply doing it to get rid of my cats; I could care less about the +/- 10HP that I'll be getting from it. I just want to maintain a solid low-end power. The reason why short runners (meaning the collector is closer up) are arguably in demand for the IS300 is simply because all the long runners help with top-end hp and torque, though the low-end rpm power suffers. Here is a reference to what I mean (headers).

That being said, I don't doubt people will most likely shell out the extra money for a top performing header, so please don't take my comment as a discouragement... after all, it's just my opinion, and there might be a room for one more great long runner after all
Thats the type of feedback i am looking for. I need to know what people want.
Old 11-23-09, 06:04 AM
UNOHOO

i agree, i chose the obx short runners cause i wanted that low end, stock it felt like over 4k rpm was way beefier than the low end and i was going for more of even powerband, i think its safe to say that this is the main reason people choose the obx shortys as opposed to mazzuri or one of the other guys
Old 11-25-09, 06:19 PM
IMF
Former Sponsor

It doesn't seem like there is enough interest to justify designing a whole new set up for the IS300 so i will offer the next best thing.

I can base the new headers off of either the toyotmoto style headers or the xerd ones and offer a group buy on them for $299.00 a set.

Let me know if there is interest, if there is then i will take the next step to actually post a group buy on either one. I will need at least 20 people to join in to make it happen though. Production will take about 60 days plus another couple of weeks or so until they are ready to ship out to you guys.

Show me your'e interested and i will make it happen.
Old 11-30-09, 09:03 AM
Yogujuhere
Driver School Candidate

Hey IMF, I highly suggest posting this thread on my.is in the GO Fast forum under 1st gen IS300. You'll see loads more traffic for this specific car over there, then here at clublexus. Personally, I would like to see a better design and a common consensus on what people think are flaws with the old designs. If you are willing to produce a new product, I truly hope that you would fix any issues people might have with the old ones. I think you'd have a lot more customers willing to shell out on those.

I also recommend speaking to FIGS on my.is ( you can check out his vendor section on the forum list page). He had mentioned to me that he was thinking about creating a headers set sometime in the future... albeit in quite a while. I think it would be a great idea to shoot him a PM and bounce ideas off each other.

I for one am VERY interested in seeing an improved short runner header set. I would pay almost anything reasonable for one that is clearly ahead of the rest...

Thanks IMF for taking the time to do your research before producing anything.

Hiral
Old 11-30-09, 07:58 PM
prolex1
Driver School Candidate

I am interested in adding headers to match my rod millen intake and HKS Carbon TI exhaust. As far as performance is concerned, I don't know which mod to go with but I am in if I could get some advice on performance. Mid pipe would be nice too!

Last edited by prolex1; 11-30-09 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-01-09, 01:04 PM
kponti
Driver

Originally Posted by DS2k

Like I mentioned before though, people will buy the headers for various proposes... I'm simply doing it to get rid of my cats; I could care less about the +/- 10HP that I'll be getting from it. I just want to maintain a solid low-end power. The reason why short runners (meaning the collector is closer up) are arguably in demand for the IS300 is simply because all the long runners help with top-end hp and torque, though the low-end rpm power suffers. Here is a reference to what I mean (headers).....................
Hmmmm I do not think so. Edgy's post had to do with a superchargered setup, not NA. The faster you move air through a motor, the more important it will be to simply evacuate the engine of spent gases and the less important design gets. Shorter runners do just that especially with a supercharged setup. NA engines usually need help suctioning the air out fast.

Originally Posted by IMF
Thats the type of feedback i am looking for. I need to know what people want.
Hope you caught that, cos if not I don't think any header you produce will not be worth anymore than what is out there already at a much cheaper price. However you initial plan is the best plan I have seen for a header so far, replace the dump collectors with merged ones.

Last edited by kponti; 12-01-09 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-01-09, 01:18 PM
kponti
Driver

http://my.is/forums/f88/so-one-more-...eaders-385201/

http://my.is/forums/f88/long-tube-vs...eaders-265574/

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...post1551969196

there are more, just search other car sites for more info
Old 12-03-09, 04:47 PM
DS2k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kponti
Hmmmm I do not think so. Edgy's post had to do with a superchargered setup, not NA. The faster you move air through a motor, the more important it will be to simply evacuate the engine of spent gases and the less important design gets. Shorter runners do just that especially with a supercharged setup. NA engines usually need help suctioning the air out fast.

Hope you caught that, cos if not I don't think any header you produce will not be worth anymore than what is out there already at a much cheaper price. However you initial plan is the best plan I have seen for a header so far, replace the dump collectors with merged ones.
You're right, Edgy was recommending the short runner for supercharged setup, which is what I'm getting... but the examples he uses for short vs. long runners are true for even NA applications, at least that's what I gather from reading other threads on this.

Anyway, no need for argument... I think it's best to see what the market (members) is in need for and produce a unique product that addresses those needs.

Great links btw... I sent him very similar ones via pm
Old 01-24-23, 07:18 PM
Hannah9278
1st Gear

Originally Posted by IMF
Hello,

Some of you already know me for the SC400 headers that i have been offering, to most of you i am the new guy. IMF is a new company a little over a year old, hopefully with your help we can grow and offer more products to the Lexus community.

I am planning to offer new products to Lexus models and i wanted to check interest before i start investing my time and money into any specific products. I wanted to see if there is any interest to a new set of headers for the IS300.

Of course the headers will be made out of high grade 304 stainless steel, be a direct bolt on that wont require any modifications and most importantly will improve performance.

I already have excess to existing headers which i can offer or if you would like something new that can be made as well. It all depends on how much interest i see.

Please post here or PM you if you are seriously interest in headers for the IS300. I can have these made within a couple of months and start selling in no time.

Retail price would be between $399-499.

Let me know,

Chase
Did you ever get around to making shorty IS300 headers???