IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

New Lexus IS300 owner in Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-09, 11:14 PM
Arro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Lexus IS300 owner in Southern California

Hi all! My name's Jason, and I've had a respect for these cars for many years, and decided I wanted one about two years ago. So it became my goal... I've had lots of other tuner platforms, some based on power (DSM, early Turbo Dodge Shelby), some based on suspension and handling (2G Neon, VW Corrado), and then of course I run Club-S12.org, the worldwide club and discussion forum for the Nissan "S12" chassis (200SX/Silvia/Gazelle). I own three S12's including a legitimate RHD Silvia RS-X that was bought and driven in Japan, and tuned with twin Weber 45 DCOE carbs for those of you who know what that is :P

I've also owned a 280ZX Turbo, an '86 Camaro RS, and even a '94 4.6L T-bird.

But by far the IS300 outclasses, outhandles, and with the exception of the DSM and the Japanese-market RS-X, out-accellerates the rest of my cars, previous and currently owned.

I got the funds for my car a few weeks ago, and been on a mad hunt for a specific color (that metallic grey) since then. Seems like there's lots of silver and white, followed by the metallic grey, then red, then blue, then that solar yellow. Anyways, I found two different cars, and each time someone snaked the deal before I got there. Finally, I found one in North Hollywood. I live in the easternmost corner of Riverside county, so it was a LOOOOONG drive to get there... I pretty much threw my clothes on and hit the road after calling to make sure they had it still.

The cars on the lot were all covered in tons of dust from a horrible dust storm that hit the greater Los Angeles area, but they airhosed off the windows and I took it for a spin. WOW. Stock suspension is actually pretty kick-***! And the steering on these cars so precise... of course you all know this, but I'm sure you appreciate it that someone new gets to experience what you've all been enjoying for awhile now. It is VERY true what the magazine reviews say -- this car was built to compete with the likes of BMW, Mercedes, and Infiniti, and it DOES SO. I've driven a number of each of those, and this car is their equal or better in the case of some models. I mean it's no CLK, or M series, but it's definitely on-par with the more plentiful euro luxo-sport cars, and as good as any G35, perhaps with better steering.

I bought it that day, and after a complimentary wash at a posh place in Universal City, I got to see the car. It sparkles. Ok, so it has a few minor blemishes here and there, which I saw even through the dust. But I got it at a steal for 8,490 and threw on a 2-year powertrain warranty, so I figure I did alright on the price... this same 02 in perfect condition normally lists for $10-11k out here in southern California, so I feel I got a good deal. Anyways I have friends in detailing and body that can take care of the minor stuff in time, and the interior is in really good shape. It's black leather and suede (which I think makes an awesome-looking combination).

Well enough of the book writing... here's the pics!

Before I got it, I wanted to lower a bit, but after feeling and seeing it, I'm leaving the suspension as-is, and just going to change the wheels later on to 18's with some good tires.

Anyways I'm here now, I'll more actively post, and I'm definitely a very proud owner of my 2002 Lexus IS300
Old 12-05-09, 11:43 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

Grats on your GGP.

Just don't ever have to repaint any panels. It is agreed in the Lexus world the GGP is damn near impossible to match the paint code.
Old 12-06-09, 01:03 AM
Arro
Driver School Candidate

Gonna have to... the hood has some blemishes, and the bottom passenger side of the bumper is scratched up... some of the doors need touch-ups, and there's some scratches on the corner of the rear bumper, too. I'm sure it can be matched, but I imagine it's going to be expensive when I buy the paint. Anyone know the code or is it just listed as "graphite grey-pearl"?
Old 12-06-09, 06:35 AM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Grats on your GGP.

Just don't ever have to repaint any panels. It is agreed in the Lexus world the GGP is damn near impossible to match the paint code.
maybe to some people who dont know how to mix the paint together very well...

i used to work at drivers way in franklin.. i was a painter. i touch-up paint all the cars on the lot. i used PPG paint. i get the code off the side of the door jam, look it up on the internet, print it out, then mix the paint up with each colors. you have to be right on the dot with the paint mixing, if your .2 or more over, then you have to redo it. it wont look right.

i got my GGP paint right on the money when i mix the paint up for my car.. i touched it up and you cant even see the touch-up i did. its blends so good with the paint. after i touched it up, i put waxed on the car and you cant even see what i did .. hahaha!!!

so ya the GGP paint can be hard to get it right, lil lighter or lil darker.. BUT, thats only if your painter gets it right on the dot and not .2 or .3 off .. then that's where the GGP paint looks odd. So, you have to be right on the money, when it comes to mixing up GGP paint. Or get the whole car REpainted..

edit: If i were you, i would take it to the best body shop you know. they will do it "RIGHT" for ya. Dont take it to some cheapo maaco b.s. place. thats where trouble starts. Get what you pay for.. you want it to look good in the long run right? then find the best bodyshop. as simple as that.

Congrats on your new GGP... you will love it everyday. i do !! i love my GGP.. so +1 to you. GGP FTW.. Enjoy your stay at club lexus... Any questions??? we are here to help! This forum is the best "MATURE" IS300 forum. if you want a bunch of idiots, then go to my.is.

Last edited by LexusGSXR; 12-06-09 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-06-09, 06:55 AM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Arro
Gonna have to... the hood has some blemishes, and the bottom passenger side of the bumper is scratched up... some of the doors need touch-ups, and there's some scratches on the corner of the rear bumper, too. I'm sure it can be matched, but I imagine it's going to be expensive when I buy the paint. Anyone know the code or is it just listed as "graphite grey-pearl"?
GGP is the code for "Graphite Gray Pearl"
Old 12-06-09, 12:00 PM
Arro
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I plan to do it a bit at a time... first the front bumper, then the hood, then the bumper in the rear, then finally get the doors done since they are the least of it. I wish I knew a really good shop in socal that wasn't just "good" by price, but by workmanship.

I do however have an amazing auto paint store here that uses all the modern machines and can mix paint by code... I had a very hard to match metallic blue Nissan paint reproduced by code there, and it came out perfect. So they probably could mix me some GGP...

LexusGSXR, are you a body shop? Or someone who on a warmer day would want to make some $$$ and help a fellow so-cal member? :P
Old 12-06-09, 12:46 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSXR
maybe to some people who dont know how to mix the paint together very well...

i used to work at drivers way in franklin.. i was a painter. i touch-up paint all the cars on the lot. i used PPG paint. i get the code off the side of the door jam, look it up on the internet, print it out, then mix the paint up with each colors. you have to be right on the dot with the paint mixing, if your .2 or more over, then you have to redo it. it wont look right.

i got my GGP paint right on the money when i mix the paint up for my car.. i touched it up and you cant even see the touch-up i did. its blends so good with the paint. after i touched it up, i put waxed on the car and you cant even see what i did .. hahaha!!!

so ya the GGP paint can be hard to get it right, lil lighter or lil darker.. BUT, thats only if your painter gets it right on the dot and not .2 or .3 off .. then that's where the GGP paint looks odd. So, you have to be right on the money, when it comes to mixing up GGP paint. Or get the whole car REpainted..

edit: If i were you, i would take it to the best body shop you know. they will do it "RIGHT" for ya. Dont take it to some cheapo maaco b.s. place. thats where trouble starts. Get what you pay for.. you want it to look good in the long run right? then find the best bodyshop. as simple as that.

Congrats on your new GGP... you will love it everyday. i do !! i love my GGP.. so +1 to you. GGP FTW.. Enjoy your stay at club lexus... Any questions??? we are here to help! This forum is the best "MATURE" IS300 forum. if you want a bunch of idiots, then go to my.is.
That's touch up paint techniques. It's simple to match when you don't have to build the paint for flex additive and thinner, then add pearl which will change it, then let it dry and clear coat it which will change the shade again. I said paint it, like an entire panel gunned with flex, clear, pearl, etc.

I don't produce statement that it cannot be done at some level, I am telling you they blend the panels on the GGP more than any other color because gunning the paint you cannot get it to match. Single stage touch up paint is childs play. My painter mixes that all day long in his rig for the Honda lot locally. He touches up panels with airbrushing as well, but it's just not the same as blowing an entire panel.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 12-06-09 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-06-09, 02:33 PM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

i see what your saying OLT.. my bad bro.
Old 12-06-09, 02:35 PM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Arro
Yeah I plan to do it a bit at a time... first the front bumper, then the hood, then the bumper in the rear, then finally get the doors done since they are the least of it. I wish I knew a really good shop in socal that wasn't just "good" by price, but by workmanship.

I do however have an amazing auto paint store here that uses all the modern machines and can mix paint by code... I had a very hard to match metallic blue Nissan paint reproduced by code there, and it came out perfect. So they probably could mix me some GGP...

LexusGSXR, are you a body shop? Or someone who on a warmer day would want to make some $$$ and help a fellow so-cal member? :P

i can;t help you bro.. i am across the U.S. im in Tennessee.

i don;t work at body shops no more.. i am a Lube Technician at Alexander Infiniti in franklin.. i work on Infiniti's. lol
Old 12-06-09, 07:49 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome, I like your back story, I also come from the world of DSM's. Also as you can see, I am part of the GGP club, it really is a amazing color, especially when the car is wet, it just glistens. This is a great forum, but also check out isfanatics if you need more IS300 info.
Old 12-07-09, 01:47 AM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Nice pickup, always a fan of GGP or BO IS's. Black interior sets it off really well IMO.
Good to see that your trying to keep it simple but don't let the mod bug hit ya, its incurable