IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Can I add a Multi-Channel Amp to my stock HU?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-02, 05:25 PM
kam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I add a Multi-Channel Amp to my stock HU?

hey fellas,
i'm buying a 2002 black sportcross in a couple of weeks, and i'm planning on upgrading from the factory system. i like the stock head unit and wanted to know if it were possible to keep it and add a multichannel amp( i'm pretty much set on getting an a/d/s amp) to run new speakers ( i'm thinking diamond audio or boston). also, anyone know what size that small subwoofer is? i'm cross-posting this in the lexus electronics forum, hopefully i'll get more replies.thanks in advance for any help.
cheers!
Old 05-10-02, 03:52 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

well to keep your stock HU use the line converters that connect onto your speaker wire to convert into RCA signal... and as far as the SUB goes I am not sure... I will try to find out
Old 05-10-02, 10:34 PM
LA Auto Show
Driver School Candidate

We're using a couple of amps to power upgraded speakers and a larger sub in our IS, all while interfacing through the factory head unit. The guys at Automotive Entertainment (www.automotiveentertainment.cc) put the system together, and they would know much more about it than I do.

Last edited by LA Auto Show; 05-10-02 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-16-02, 01:52 PM
jw007
Driver School Candidate

What can I use as the remote turn on in the trunk?

Jason
Old 05-20-02, 07:47 AM
happygilmore
Driver School Candidate

yes you can but it doesn't sound too good unless you go digging for the cleanest signal (you need some hi-tech equipment for this)
Old 05-22-02, 10:55 AM
need4morespeed
Driver School Candidate

Just a simple speaker replacement will improve the sound quality. Thorw in any set of NICE speakers and you'll be much happier. Having an incredible amp is worthless without great speakers. Having incredible speakers with an average amp is pretty good ( but not great). I've been doing it with my cars and Home Audio system for awhile now. Having the combination of an increible amp AND incredible speakers is great though (assuming you have a good crossover, wires, and a good signal).
Old 05-23-02, 09:22 PM
high is
Driver School Candidate

ah guys tha is 300 has a separate amp from tha radio. so u can tap with a line converter on to tha speaker wires. but u have two choice where to tap in to:1. between tha amp and tha speaker or 2. between radio and amp. if u go wit choice 1 u'll get a noise everytime u turn ur engine off. so if i was u guys i would go wit choice 2

now wit tha remote u would have to tap in ur remote of tha radio. u find tha sheet that has all tha color wires from a audio shop, if they are nice. mabe u can find it at tha dealer

so thats ur homework guys peace!!!
Old 05-23-02, 10:43 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by high is
ah guys tha is 300 has a separate amp from tha radio. so u can tap with a line converter on to tha speaker wires. but u have two choice where to tap in to:1. between tha amp and tha speaker or 2. between radio and amp. if u go wit choice 1 u'll get a noise everytime u turn ur engine off. so if i was u guys i would go wit choice 2

now wit tha remote u would have to tap in ur remote of tha radio. u find tha sheet that has all tha color wires from a audio shop, if they are nice. mabe u can find it at tha dealer

so thats ur homework guys peace!!!
Hey, we speak english here. Not gangster chat.