IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

LexusIS vs. InfinityG35

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-02 | 01:57 PM
MarioRX300
Rookie

umm yeah i think it was motor trend who did a test just on the g35. but who cares right. i have had a chance to drive both in my opinion its all in the name really. i say flip a coin because with either one your gonna end up hella happy!!!
Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Honestly, let's all think about it. If the G35 were so good, it would be on the COVER of the mag (like the IS was, remember, the yellow one) with it's OWN review. ALso Automoibile gave the IS 300 a hell of a 1 year ownership review, I mean a hell of a positive review.

A one page review, sounds like they were bored. Nothing for IS owners to trip about!

G35 is a good car but no IS 300.
Old 05-12-02 | 09:16 AM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Well, 3 series may HANDLE better, but I'll take my chances OWNING an IS 300 instead.

Its a better car. Owning is a different story. Reliability and resale seem to be what all people resort to here when their car is outmatched. Just giver the car(s) some credit.
Old 05-12-02 | 06:21 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Red face Follow-up comments

Alright,
I must have not make myself crystal clear. The G35 is a faster, better braking car than the IS. I personally discovered that. The Mags have reported the factual statistics that are performed objectivly. Hands-down, the car smokes the IS on track statistics. On the outer and inner looks of the car, which is totally subjective, the car has its plusses and minuses. I simply was reporting some of the cool/technologically advanced features that I think make this car set itself apart from the Lexus. The technology in the VSC is awesome. The GS400 is not in the same class as the IS or G35, but it does have VSC and should be better than a car that costs $20,000 less. But, the G35 does a better job of controling the vehicle. The test the salesman and I did DOES represent real-world situations. I live in the Midwest, where snow and ice are major concerns. When you are taking a corner on this slick stuff you expect the advanced technology of the VSC to help you out. I know the VSC in my Lexus is not as smooth. When it kicks in, the alarms are sounding and the engine is cutting in and then out, and its very chaotic. The Infinity didn't act that way at all. Just a point. Its a big one too.

Regardless of whether this car makes the cover or not, when put against its market competition, that car will shows its highs and lows. Buy looking at the numbers and driving the car myself, its a winner. The fully loaded G35 is only $35k. Look at the magazines, goto your dealer, visit the website and see what it goes for. Compare it in price to the IS. Price is almost the same.
Old 05-12-02 | 07:01 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

for 30k can you get it very well equipped. when it gets to 39k is when the ~3.5k body kit option is checked with other optionas that are not nessecary.
Old 05-12-02 | 08:04 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Like i said, i would take the G over the IS anyday, not to turn on Lexus or anything...
Old 05-13-02 | 02:29 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Its not turing on lexus imo. But the way I see it, its not our dedication to stay with Lexus, it is Lexus' dedication to keep us. Thats why I dont agree with all this extremem brand loyalty on CL
Old 05-13-02 | 08:57 PM
LexFather

Well if Infiniti did not make it so hard to be seen in those bland or hideous vehicles, maybe we would not be so brand loyal.

In other words, the FIRST thing I would do in an Infiniti is buy limo tint windows, in a Lexus, I'll leave em nice and clear.
Old 05-14-02 | 05:51 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Smile Got issues?

1SICKLEX,
I don't know what the crap you're talking about, but I guess you're entitled to an opinion. That is unless you currently drive a sentra. :0)

"Well if Infiniti did not make it so hard to be seen in those bland or hideous vehicles, maybe we would not be so brand loyal.

In other words, the FIRST thing I would do in an Infiniti is buy limo tint windows, in a Lexus, I'll leave em nice and clear."
Old 05-14-02 | 10:12 AM
jinu117
Driver School Candidate

Talking This stuff is funny.

PearGS400...
Nice little comparison you did. As an owner of G35 who was comparing GS400 (used) before purchase, I've noticed similar things with its VSC. One thing to keep in mind is, VSC on GS400 is what I would call 1st gen. While the one in G35 is what I would call 2nd gen. (Much much newer car)
I still think GS400 is nice ride.
As for IS300... what can I say...
Shorter wheelbase and nice handling. Great for local Solo divisions I bet. However, G35 does beat IS300 on every single number out there stock to stock. (Probably better at high speed turning with better slalom, etc) One advatage to IS300 is its ample support on aftermarket. (I don't really see room for FI in my G35... pretty packed engine bay)
Interior... neither of car excels here. They are below what the rest of car is.
Exterior - both of cars seems to get extreme review. (esp in rear. Some hate the altezza or love them, some hate the FAT rear of G35 or love them)
Nice ride lexuses are for its niche purposes (plush LS4, ES, sporty plush GS, sporty IS) but that doesn't warrant bashing of other fine choices like G35 by some immature members IMHO.
Old 05-14-02 | 02:11 PM
LexFather

Your right, I am entitled to my opinion. Since I have not driven a G35 I must concur with the majority here and with most magazines that it is great driving car.

I do not think it looks like a sports sedan though. I cannot believe how thick the chrome is around the windows for instance. I think half the fun of a sporty car is looking at one and the G35 does not so it for me.

The G35 coupe which I did see at the auto show looks very good though, it evokes emotion IMO.

Honestly, most new car designs are not to my liking. Everything is getting bigger, and taller and wider. The designs are looking plain generic to plain horrible, this includes Lexus. Not to mention Lexus would rather build ANOTHER SUV than a 2 door coupe.

jinu117, you should be okay with aftermarket support as NISMO is brought here late this year. I do understand a loaded G35 with the aero kit is 39k, kinda steep to me. And they are hard to come by so far.

As I stated earlier, it is good to see Japanese cars that are displaying their sports sedan traits ala the IS and G35.

And the G35 is the skyline, go the the Nissan Japanese site. The GT-R name will be used on it's high performance coupe.
Old 05-14-02 | 03:00 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Well if Infiniti did not make it so hard to be seen in those bland or hideous vehicles, maybe we would not be so brand loyal.

In other words, the FIRST thing I would do in an Infiniti is buy limo tint windows, in a Lexus, I'll leave em nice and clear.

Why just infiniti? All brands my friend. Sheesh, taking it a litle too personal. But clearly, the G35 is something that can sway buyers. Especially since the IS desnt sell very well at all.
Old 05-14-02 | 03:10 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

I cannot believe how thick the chrome is around the windows for instance.

true. but when i see this, and all its chrome, ill know its a sports sedan. the new RS6

Old 05-14-02 | 04:22 PM
LexFather

That is different. Audi does chrome possibly better than anyone else. The A6 Front overhang seems way to large for my likeing though.
Why just infiniti? All brands my friend. Sheesh, taking it a litle too personal. But clearly, the G35 is something that can sway buyers. Especially since the IS desnt sell very well at all.
I agree with you. Most cars are just "yawn" or "ACCCK". Hell, many people think the beloved GS is ''ugly" for instance. The new ES/LS/SC all took me awhile to like, and they are in SERIOUS need of larger wheels and tires (like every car nowadays).

I do love this new A4 though, very solid looking, has great presence for a small car, looks good on stock springs/shocks too (well sport model). Always a fan of the A8, especially in S form. Bland but very very tasteful, wonderful proportions.

I love the Austin MINI, that is THE small car standard to me.

The Honda Civic SI looks like a van.

Total opposites.
Old 05-14-02 | 10:13 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Damn, the rs6 is gonna be a good comparo with the m5
Old 05-15-02 | 09:33 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

damn, the new civic is so ugly and isnt even faster than the previos si... whata shame...

Quick Reply: LexusIS vs. InfinityG35