IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Toyota Altezza and Lexus IS300 why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-02, 07:58 AM
Customlexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyota Altezza and Lexus IS300 why?

Don't get me wrong Lexus is great, but is it necessary to have it.
I like Toyota and I don't get why in Japan Toyota is Toyota and there is know Lexus. Its the same thing with Honda and Acura and Nissan and Infinti. Its like they think in America they have to sucker us with another name to respect their high end vehicles.

Im kinda fond of this kit .
Attached Thumbnails Toyota Altezza and Lexus IS300 why?-sxe10t2.jpg  
Old 05-16-02, 08:43 AM
bobm_photo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Toyota Altezza and Lexus IS300 why?

Originally posted by Customlexus
Its like they think in America they have to sucker us with another name to respect their high end vehicles.

Because American's are shallow and stupid (and yes, I'm an American). American's don't associate toyota, honda, nissan, etc. with luxury. The associate BMW, Mercedes, Cadilac, etc.

Notice that in Europe Mercedes sells a whole line of cars, from the very small A Class up through luxury limos. You can get most models with cloth upholstery, stick, etc. But in the U.S Mercedes is afraid to dilute it's image by selling pedestrian cars (and they view the C class coupe as a big risk).

And notice that while a Cadillac isn't much different than a Chevy, Buick or Olds under the skin, and a Lincoln isn't really any different than a Crown Vic, GM and Ford market them as separate brands. It's not a Ford Town Car, it's a "Lincoln."

American's want their neighbors to KNOW they've arrived, and can afford a "Luxury" car. It's hard to be smug when the $15,000 Corolla down the street has the same badge on it as your $60,00 LS430.

Last edited by bobm_photo; 05-16-02 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-16-02, 09:37 AM
Customlexus
Driver

Your right American's are just all about name brands. It still is just lame to me. I like the Japanese names of all the vehicles.
Old 05-16-02, 08:37 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry but you're all idiots.

The reason that there is Lexus, Acura, Infiniti is because of trade restrictions. The US has an upper limit on the number of cars that foriegn automakers are allowed to import into the US each year. This was created because the Big 3 were afraid of the low priced cars that Japan was sending over in the 80's. This raised the price of all Japaneese cars because the demand was higher than supply. Now in order to combat the upper limit on imports, Toyota (I believe they were the first) decided to create a new car Company through which they could import more cars into the country.

Now rather than build cars that compete with their current line they decided to go and capture a new segment of the market. Thus they created Lexus, which was intended to obtain the position it's at now. Initally all Lexus' that came out were just Toyota's with new badges slapped on. That was simply because Toyota did not have time to create an entirely different car for the US market. Eventually the Lexus line of cars came into their own, with their own models and all.

Does that answer your question?
Old 05-17-02, 07:02 AM
LexFather

Uhhh dude, calm down cause it was some of both.

Also, the Japanese car makers wanted a piece of the luxury market plain and simple. The profit on an LS 430 for instance is HUGE compared to a Corolla or Camry. Toyota wants to be the #1 car maker plain and simple and the luxo line is where the money is.

Lex was planned back in 82, Acura sold cars here first in 86 I believe.

Lexus just did their hw a lot better than Infiniti and Acura, and that is why Lex is the #1 selling lux car.
Old 05-17-02, 11:52 AM
bobm_photo
Rookie

Originally posted by Christobol
Sorry but you're all idiots.

Initally all Lexus' that came out were just Toyota's with new badges slapped on. That was simply because Toyota did not have time to create an entirely different car for the US market. Eventually the Lexus line of cars came into their own, with their own models and all.

Does that answer your question?
Before you start calling names, you ought to be sure of your facts.

The import quotas limited the TOTAL number of Japanese built cars sold here, not the number for any specific manufacturer., On top of that they were a temporary phenom, and "voluntary" to boot. Japan Inc's, share of the U.S. market continues to grow, to a level way larger than the import quotas would have allowed.

And perhaps you can explain how U.S. import quotas are responsible for the fact that Toyota markets as Lexus in Europe, too. It's all about image and marketing, not quotas.

Oh, yes. The first two Lexus models in the U.S. were the LS400 and the ES 300. The 300 was, indeed, a rebadged Camry (as is the current ES 300, to a large extent). The LS400, however, was a brand new car, based on no existing Toyota platform. Not even a little bit.

Idiot, indeed.
Old 05-17-02, 03:52 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by bobm_photo

The import quotas limited the TOTAL number of Japanese built cars sold here, not the number for any specific manufacturer., On top of that they were a temporary phenom, and "voluntary" to boot. Japan Inc's, share of the U.S. market continues to grow, to a level way larger than the import quotas would have allowed.

And perhaps you can explain how U.S. import quotas are responsible for the fact that Toyota markets as Lexus in Europe, too. It's all about image and marketing, not quotas.

Oh, yes. The first two Lexus models in the U.S. were the LS400 and the ES 300. The 300 was, indeed, a rebadged Camry (as is the current ES 300, to a large extent). The LS400, however, was a brand new car, based on no existing Toyota platform. Not even a little bit.

Idiot, indeed.
acctually there was the ES250
Old 05-18-02, 08:21 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bobm_photo

Idiot, indeed.
Oh really? Maybe you should get your facts straight before posting. Lexus debuted with the LS400 and the ES250. The ES300 didn't enter the picture until 1992.
Old 05-20-02, 07:26 AM
bobm_photo
Rookie

You're right about the ES250. My apologies. But that doesn't change the fact the the LS was NOT based on any Toyota, which was the point I was replying to. And it doesn't change the fact that the ES and Camry still share a platform. And it especially doesn't change the fact the the import quotas had no bearing on Toyota's decision to introduce the LS400 as a Lexus, instead of as a Toyota.

Bob