IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Problems with my new IS300 :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-02, 12:38 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with my new IS300 :(

Well I noticed that when I hit the brakes around 30 mph to 20 mph, the car will pull hard to the right into the other lane or the shoulder. I have driven several cars and other IS300s and they do not exhibit this behavior. Also when turning the steering wheel from on center to the left I can hear a metallic scratching noise, has anyone had this before? Man, I was dissapointed with our ML because of all the rattles, I thought lexus was better, I guess not. Seems like all car companies are declining in quality.
Old 05-20-02, 03:26 PM
Marley
Pole Position

take it to the dealer and have them look at it.
Old 05-24-02, 12:24 PM
Alan
Driver School Candidate

Default Breakes & streering

I know what you mean i have just bought my new IS300 on 16/4/2002 and have the same problem.
dealer say's is me and thay cannot find anything wrong, thay said its proberly the vehicle stability computer kicking in? if so i dont like it the other thing to watch out for is i drove the vehicle on a moterway at 130mph just to see how it went :scary it lane hoped and i did not feel safe.
please keep me informed on your outcome with the dealer

arl1949@aol.com
Old 05-25-02, 04:23 PM
hoops_24
Pole Position

The IS300 has alot of quality issues. You need to contact Lexus directly and get copies of all of their tech bulletins. It will scare you. I almost purchased one prior to reviewing. I'm now waiting on delivery of a G35 which to me is a MUCH better car anyhow.
Old 06-01-02, 11:18 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

The car is perfect except for those few gripes. I can't wait to see how much that ugly G35 will be in the shop! Somehow I don't fully believe u on the loads of quality issues.
Old 06-02-02, 11:04 AM
texaslexus
Driver School Candidate

Meh.. I just bought a used IS300 on ebay with 47K miles on it. I have never driven a more comfortable car. Even though the car appeared to run fine, I took it to Lexus and had them do the 45K checkup on it. They kept it and put me up in a 2002 ES300 for the day. Lexus/Toyota is just a superior car and company. Try getting a $40,000.00 loaner car from Acura.... haa.. you'll get a crappy bottom of the line RSX if you're lucky, maybe an old integra.

JT
Old 06-16-02, 06:39 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by AlBoston
The car is perfect except for those few gripes. I can't wait to see how much that ugly G35 will be in the shop! Somehow I don't fully believe u on the loads of quality issues.
Responding to an old post.

One more Lexus with problems: Rattles everyone. I had them some since day 1 and recently, even more. Car is 22k on it. Dealer did/would not acknowledge rattles for the first four visits. Two visits later, claimed rattles were gone. Rattles are not gone. 'A' pillar is loose. Dash has a dime size bump in it. Console and dash rattles. Transmission kicks down very hard when driven under 10 miles an hour. Going down a hill from a roll causes the tranny to kick down hard. Rolling down a long stretch of freeway freaks out the tranny. It won't shift to 5th even when the freeway levels out. it has to manually be shifted from 5 to 4 then to 5. Going to have the dealer attempt to fix the rattles. Tranny? no hope there. Probably a reset and hope for the best.

Lexus has some quality issues, at least with a few cars.
Old 06-26-02, 04:42 PM
RastaManMax
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by AlBoston
It's all a matter of taste, but that 260HP beast will walk all over your overpriced IS300 any day of the week and skool it twice on Saturdays... No offence, i loved the IS300 until the new Altima, Maxima, G35 and 350Z came out, but now those cars own... The G35 is also neck to neck with the BMW 3 series, something the IS3 was meant to compete with, but always fell way short of, now the AUTO G35 is nearly on par with the STICK 330i... Wait until the 6sp comes!
Old 06-26-02, 05:37 PM
Papadop88
Driver School Candidate

First off, Lexus is a better car than Infiniti. Toyota is better than Nissan and that is why there are more toyotas and Lexus' out there. It is a proven fact. At least Lexus holds its value better than Infiniti. To me Infinitis have power but suck with ride and quality. Always have. You don't see any ballaz drivin around and rapping about Infinitis. Its always been and always will be about LEXUS, BMW, and MERCEDES. So take your Nissan crap and find a G35 forum to play around with. Ask any mechanic and they will say that Lexus is one of the best if not the BEST quality luxury car on the road. I have had BMW (too many expensive problems), Mercedes, and Lexus'. By far the best are Lexus and Mercedes, with Lexus edging out Mercedes by a bit.

LEXUS ALL THE WAY!!!!
Old 06-26-02, 06:03 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

infiniti is a great car. but it ain't a lexus. just cause the g35 has alittle more hp.. doesn't mean its a better car. just cause the is300 looks better, doesn't mean its a better car either. i've evaluated both in person and own an is300. i plan on getting a g35 coupe in addition to the i-s. but still, the i-s will be on the top in my book.
Old 06-26-02, 08:37 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

you def need to talk to your dealer and lexus and get those issues handled.. my 01' and my friends 02' does not have this problem... I had his 02' up too 141mph.. and no issues like that at all..
Old 06-26-02, 09:44 PM
RastaManMax
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Papadop88
First off, Lexus is a better car than Infiniti. Toyota is better than Nissan and that is why there are more toyotas and Lexus' out there. It is a proven fact. At least Lexus holds its value better than Infiniti. To me Infinitis have power but suck with ride and quality. Always have. You don't see any ballaz drivin around and rapping about Infinitis. Its always been and always will be about LEXUS, BMW, and MERCEDES. So take your Nissan crap and find a G35 forum to play around with. Ask any mechanic and they will say that Lexus is one of the best if not the BEST quality luxury car on the road. I have had BMW (too many expensive problems), Mercedes, and Lexus'. By far the best are Lexus and Mercedes, with Lexus edging out Mercedes by a bit.

LEXUS ALL THE WAY!!!!
I love laying smack downs on IS3's... It's owners like you i enjoy beating the ***** out of the most... Lexus is better than Infiniti (NO PROOF) People buy Toyotas because they're BANDWAGON! My uncles Camry with under 8000KM's had to get a new tranny and now has A/C problems, never even driven hard and used to haul kids to school.... My Maxima on the other hand, no problems at all, just gas up and go, the service is so good they even pick up my car from work, change the oil, wash it for me and bring it back, all as long as i own my car and at no extra cost($300 add on)... This car has frequently been raced and still not a single problem... Needless to say, my cousin rode in my Maxima and would trade his ES300 (which i spanked BADLY), for one... We have a BMW also, slow as ****, but pretty good quality and you're not going to hear me going around with idiotic comments like "BMW is better than Merc," just cause i own one, neither do i say Nissan is better than Lexus... Just stating that some people over here need to get their heads out of their asses and see that there is faster and better cars out there... You're not invisible and no matter how hard you try, you win some you loose some...
Old 06-26-02, 10:44 PM
Sooner
Pole Position

faster only if it makes it that far by the way i hope they don't have all those injector problems your on the wrong board try pos.com
Old 06-26-02, 10:56 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by RastaManMax

I love laying smack downs on IS3's... It's owners like you i enjoy beating the ***** out of the most... Lexus is better than Infiniti (NO PROOF) People buy Toyotas because they're BANDWAGON! My uncles Camry with under 8000KM's had to get a new tranny and now has A/C problems, never even driven hard and used to haul kids to school.... My Maxima on the other hand, no problems at all, just gas up and go, the service is so good they even pick up my car from work, change the oil, wash it for me and bring it back, all as long as i own my car and at no extra cost($300 add on)... This car has frequently been raced and still not a single problem... Needless to say, my cousin rode in my Maxima and would trade his ES300 (which i spanked BADLY), for one... We have a BMW also, slow as ****, but pretty good quality and you're not going to hear me going around with idiotic comments like "BMW is better than Merc," just cause i own one, neither do i say Nissan is better than Lexus... Just stating that some people over here need to get their heads out of their asses and see that there is faster and better cars out there... You're not invisible and no matter how hard you try, you win some you loose some...
I had a maxima se for a rent a car recently and I have some comments on it. I like the hid headlights and the passing power, and the good gas mileage. The Max had a twitchy rear end and the controls aren't that nice. No climate control and there was a lot of wind noise. The car had 15k miles on it. I was thinking I might like one but I got back into my GS3, with the rattles and all, it was a better car. Its a much nicer car. But it is a much more expensive car. I think if the SE with Leather were about $25k it would be nice to have but at close to $30k, I would have to pass on it.

As far as the Lex being better then an infiniti, it has less problems according J.D. Powers. I think the people have voted with their pocketbooks and the winner is Lexus.
Old 06-27-02, 08:27 AM
RastaManMax
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by sooner
faster only if it makes it that far by the way i hope they don't have all those injector problems your on the wrong board try pos.com
I am on pos.com or is it wayoverpriced.com, or maybe it's imsourcauseigetmyasshandedtomeeverytimeirace.com? Help me out and choose one...