IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Japanese body kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-02, 10:36 AM
tmasta
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Japanese body kits

i was told that any japanese front bumper will take some extra modifying cause we have the 5 mph law and japan does not.. does anyone know to what extent u have to modify the kit.. and how much extra it will cost in general?? thanks!

T
Old 05-29-02, 06:44 PM
dje
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

5 mph bumper is a aluminum Square Hollow Bar that is behind The Bumper Cover....you can remove it(4 nuts) if you have have a full bumper replacement...but if you are just getting a Lip you dont need to...

are you interested in buying a Top Gun Kit?

front bumper Rear bumper and Side skirt?
Old 05-30-02, 12:16 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Isn't the Top Gun kit an American kit made by the knock-off body kit kings, Carisma? They also make the fake and ill fitting Win Racing knock-off kit for the GS...dont' buy from these clowns...buy a REAL quality JDM kit...

Anyways, in SOME cases, you might be able to just TRIM the reinforcment bar...either way, you SHOULD have something between those two points...helps with the airbag deployment...and that's WAY more important than ANY body kit (unless you don't drive the car)...
Old 05-30-02, 04:48 AM
tmasta
Intermediate

thanks for the replies guys!

one last question.. does anyone know the approx cost of this extra work??? thanks again!

T

manaray -
funny thing is.. this person HAD a top gun kit and i convinced them too get rid of it and go with a japanese one!
Old 05-30-02, 06:21 AM
dje
Driver School Candidate

are you gonna put on the kit yourself?

If you are you have to line up the bumper and check how much you need to trim off the reinforcement bumper or just take it off!! If your shop is going to do it it should cost more than 40 dollars

IF you are going to install the kit yourself, FIRST OFF make sure the kit fits right before painting! Drill all the mounting holes if required,

Just saving you the headaches

DJ
Old 05-30-02, 10:01 AM
Customlexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You shouldn't have to modify nuttin'

I haven't heard a thing about and I would worry about it ether. Unless you have the Dept. of Transportion checking your bumpers or plan on running somebody over.
Old 05-31-02, 12:34 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

tmasta - hehehe...good job! JDM is the way to go...at least until they makea QUALITY/ORIGINAL USA made kit...

CustomLexus - You need to worry about because the body shops charge more to do the modification and if you get into a front end collision and you don't have the reinforcement bar there, your airbags MAY NOT DEPLOY. It has NOTHING to do with Transportation Department...

Most quality JDM kits fit perfectly...most ricer knock-off kits don't!
Old 06-01-02, 04:02 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

JDM is the best way to go,,,,,, more variety
Old 06-02-02, 11:22 PM
blownIS200
Pole Position

i have posted in this site........

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44

that if ppl are intrested in purchasing the
JDM/EURO crash bar, and i get enough numbers to make it worth it i will purchase them and ship to a drop off/other member in the USA...
the euro/jdm crash bar is also 5mph proof as the US version is,its just ours is smaller ....maybe cos you have such large cars in the states, saying that europe generally dives faster....strange ruling i know.......if anyone is intrested i will get a price,i think at the mo i have 4 ppl intrested

mat
Old 06-05-02, 03:45 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

hmm how much? I just might make one for my car.. all depends on price
Old 06-08-02, 09:18 AM
Lexus_Rex
Rookie

Ill take 2 of the euro bars.. email me. rexjr@group-net.org

also when you say jdm kit you must take into consideration price..

My body kit JDB spec was right around 4,000 plus shipping from Japan is what 500 so a total of 4,500 for a fiberglass kit you have got to be ****ing kidding me. Plus paint and install there is another 1,000 so 5,500.

I bought the replica for 900 plus 200 shipping so 1,100 plus 1,000 paint and install so 2,100. That is less than half of the JDM and they are both going to crack if a rock hits it.

I know that some replica kits dont even line up right and are just ****ty but don;t knock them all b/c mine has a great fit like a glove and seems to be made very well. by the way mine is a d-speed falcon replica made by VIS.
Old 06-08-02, 01:18 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

...then don't put "D-Speed" in your .sig since you don't have a D-Speed...put VIS instead...

Also, the price you got for the kit was WAY too high...you just didn't find a good importer....

And using your logic, why buy a Lexus IS? You could have bought a Acura Integra instead...they both have 4 wheels and use an engine...
Old 06-08-02, 10:00 PM
Lexus_Rex
Rookie

Originally posted by manaray
...then don't put "D-Speed" in your .sig since you don't have a D-Speed...put VIS instead...

Also, the price you got for the kit was WAY too high...you just didn't find a good importer....

And using your logic, why buy a Lexus IS? You could have bought a Acura Integra instead...they both have 4 wheels and use an engine...

dont be a **** you **** sucker. why dont you go get a cheap ho she's probably more expensive than you are paying your mom for rim jobs

First and only warning. Don't trash a moderator.

Last edited by Static911; 06-09-02 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-09-02, 02:37 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Ah...now is that any way to talk to Super Moderator? Tsk, Tsk...

Just like a typical ricer...fake body kit with no wheels...did you drive your car around with the kit installed on your car and unpainted too?

Oh, did you know that there is no such thing as a "Lexus Altezza"? Another ricer move...cross badging...but that's OK, you probably don't know any better...

"Turboeffect"? Really? Oh, I get it, keeping it on the DL...shhhh! I won't tell anyone...
Old 06-09-02, 04:18 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Do you kiss your mother with that mouth? Shame shame....

Originally posted by Lexus_Rex

dont be a **** you **** sucker. why dont you go get a cheap ho she's probably more expensive than you are paying your mom for rim jobs

Trash talking a moderator with grade-school insults is a big no no here. I see a "Turbo Effect" visor, but what I don't see is an actual turbo . Instead I see a huge *** eyesore of a alum GT wing unfashionably mounted onto a (for all intensive purposes) stock car. Someone needs a lesson in tasteful aftermarket with a refresher course in manners and etiquette .

Quick Reply: Japanese body kits