IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

For IS300 what is the best - Spark Plug Wires

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 01:10 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For IS300 what is the best - Spark Plug Wires

I went out and picked up some NGK Platinum Iridium Laser.
They were the best plugs available & super expensive.

I want to get my plugs changed but I still have stock wires.
Might as well change out the plugs & wires at the same time.
Don't want to go and get Stock wires and super nice plugs.

What kind of plug wires should i get? And where should i get them?
Old 07-01-10, 08:00 AM
cricket056
Driver

I have read that sometimes plugs that are different than manufacturer spec can cause this car to run odd and misfire. Not saying it will but if it does I would start there. I went a stage colder and had no issues.

Also, you have coil packs. There's no spark plug wires and they only need replaced if they are not working. It's not like the old plug and distributor cap set-up. And I dont believe there is an aftermarket set-up, either way I dont see it making much difference.
Old 07-01-10, 09:54 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plug wires? return them and get your money back.

change out the plugs only. theres a diy for spark plug changes floating around. its pretty easy
Old 07-01-10, 09:58 AM
cricket056
Driver

If he bought plug wires for this car someone made some cash and likely disappeared.

Also if you think plugs are expensive please dont modify any further.
Old 07-02-10, 11:01 PM
sunny D
Driver

^^lol damn harsh
Old 07-03-10, 08:22 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by baadhabit

change out the plugs only. theres a diy for spark plug changes floating around. its pretty easy
I didn't any plug wires yet, I am looking for some.
My car has high mileage, might as well change them...
I found NGK ones are probably good since I have NGK plugs...
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...ug_Wires//6351

Originally Posted by cricket056
Also if you think plugs are expensive please dont modify any further.
Name:  rolleyes.gif
Views: 3097
Size:  1.7 KB Yeah... I got the most expensive plugs they offer, they cost TWICE as much as the basic factory replacement plugs.
Didn't say expensive as in "broke the bank" Name:  slap.gif
Views: 3094
Size:  714 Bytes
Old 07-03-10, 10:40 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Actually guys yes the is300 does have spark plus wires. It has 3 coil packs and 3 spark plug wires, the three coil packs each sit on top of a plug and each have an oulet of a wire to run off that coil pack to another plug, so each coil pack technically runs 2 cylinders.
Old 07-06-10, 06:17 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by baadhabit

yea i did one over on isfanatics.com
Old 07-06-10, 06:19 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by 03LexIS300
Actually guys yes the is300 does have spark plus wires. It has 3 coil packs and 3 spark plug wires, the three coil packs each sit on top of a plug and each have an oulet of a wire to run off that coil pack to another plug, so each coil pack technically runs 2 cylinders.
exactly +rep

i was looking into getting the ngk wires myself, just havent gotten around to it yet
Old 07-06-10, 10:29 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
exactly +rep

i was looking into getting the ngk wires myself, just havent gotten around to it yet
NGK wires are good. I am getting ready to the timing belt, cam seals, and drive belt to my 03 is300 5 speed, and at the same time I am doing plugs, I know I am going we OE plugs, but not sure what wires yet, might go OE with them too depends on the price.
Old 07-07-10, 06:27 AM
UNOHOO

NGK wires are good. I am getting ready to the timing belt, cam seals, and drive belt to my 03 is300 5 speed, and at the same time I am doing plugs, I know I am going we OE plugs, but not sure what wires yet, might go OE with them too depends on the price.
are you going to be doing the timing belt yourself? if so you should write up a DIY on it
Old 07-07-10, 10:06 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Yes i'm doing it myself, ive been a mechanic for a few years now, and run a garage with my 2 brothers. My oldest brother has done a timing belt on as IS300 before, his wife owns a white 01 IS300, and according to him theres nothing to them except for the bolt on the crank pulley is a b**** to get out and he said he had to use a 1" impact and thought he was going to break the bolt off in the crank but didn't lol, but a 1/2" impact wouldnt do it and i'm not sure about a 3/4" impact. I will take a notebook and a pen with me and write a DIY step by step and get it on paper so I can type it up for you all, and I will try to take some pictures also. I will also be using a 3/4" impact for that crank bolt because that is the biggest impact we have at our garage and if that won't get it we will have to borrow a 1" impact from one of our local friends with garages around here lol, and I will let you guys know if the 3/4" impact will get it or if a 1" impact is required, as you dont want to use more force than necessary on such an important bolt like that. I will also be doing plugs while i am doing the timing belt, and I have not decided on what wires to use yet or if I am going to replace the wires yet. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 07-08-10, 05:06 AM
UNOHOO

Yes i'm doing it myself, ive been a mechanic for a few years now, and run a garage with my 2 brothers. My oldest brother has done a timing belt on as IS300 before, his wife owns a white 01 IS300, and according to him theres nothing to them except for the bolt on the crank pulley is a b**** to get out and he said he had to use a 1" impact and thought he was going to break the bolt off in the crank but didn't lol, but a 1/2" impact wouldnt do it and i'm not sure about a 3/4" impact. I will take a notebook and a pen with me and write a DIY step by step and get it on paper so I can type it up for you all, and I will try to take some pictures also. I will also be using a 3/4" impact for that crank bolt because that is the biggest impact we have at our garage and if that won't get it we will have to borrow a 1" impact from one of our local friends with garages around here lol, and I will let you guys know if the 3/4" impact will get it or if a 1" impact is required, as you dont want to use more force than necessary on such an important bolt like that. I will also be doing plugs while i am doing the timing belt, and I have not decided on what wires to use yet or if I am going to replace the wires yet. Any suggestions? Thanks
right on man, lookin forward to that DIY

plug wires: im gonna go with ngk but there are other options
Old 07-08-10, 06:52 AM
IanHen
Rookie

If the 3/4 impact does it please post spec for it as well.
Mine is 950 ft lbs at rated pressure of 90lbs.
Old 07-08-10, 09:58 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

I've done a 2JZ with a 3/4" impact, just don't try to use a wimpy one. 950 ft-lbs will be enough.

Quick Reply: For IS300 what is the best - Spark Plug Wires