IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

EXHAUST need help choosing

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-10, 07:40 PM
sickdriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation EXHAUST need help choosing

So I got an 2003 is300 and first thing I wanna do is get an exhaust, I want it to be not too loud but still have a performance edge and it has to be catback. Looking at Apexi-N1 any good? Pm me suggestions or post idc. I wanna hear what you guys have to say experience wise. Oh I have stainless steel headers, too, so I would get the most out of my new exhaust.
Old 07-06-10, 08:24 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sickdriver
So I got an 2003 is300 and first thing I wanna do is get an exhaust, I want it to be not too loud but still have a performance edge and it has to be catback. Looking at Apexi-N1 any good? Pm me suggestions or post idc. I wanna hear what you guys have to say experience wise. Oh I have stainless steel headers, too, so I would get the most out of my new exhaust.
i havent done mine yet, i have the obx short runner headers with y pipe but eventually i think im going to go with tanabe, supposed to be somewhat quiet with a nice tone and good performance wise, ive heard that people in Northern Virginia are getting pulled over all teh time for one of the HKS's but I dont remember which one, hope that helps some
Old 07-06-10, 07:51 PM
JSwenis
Driver

I had a GReddy EVO 2 Catback that sounded good. Nice deep growl, not too loud in my opinion but loudness is up to the driver. Right now i have an HKS Hi power axle back thats deep and not loud. I'm putting a mid pipe on now to make it louder. Here's a link to what mine sounds like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79EMJDWJVOs
Old 07-07-10, 12:20 PM
Apex84
Lead Lap

GReddy Ti-C ftw

Old 07-07-10, 12:46 PM
beefIS300
Driver School Candidate

HKS carbon-ti
Old 07-07-10, 01:34 PM
mou
Pole Position

I'd recommend greddy SE2 or the TI-C. SE2 for a clean sound or TI-C for a deep sound
Old 07-07-10, 09:51 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

I have a Megan racing axle back exhaust, and my resinator is cut out with straight pipe welded in, also running stock exhaust manifold, not too loud just has a nice deep tone and performance wise its better than stock. Thinking about headers in the future, any opinions on which are best? and the best place to get an o2 sim for it, as a CEL will bug the **** outta me?
Old 07-08-10, 05:03 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by 03LexIS300
I have a Megan racing axle back exhaust, and my resinator is cut out with straight pipe welded in, also running stock exhaust manifold, not too loud just has a nice deep tone and performance wise its better than stock. Thinking about headers in the future, any opinions on which are best? and the best place to get an o2 sim for it, as a CEL will bug the **** outta me?
kinda depends on what you want to get out of the upgrade, i personally went with OBX short runner headers with y pipe, i went with these because the short runners are supposed to be better for low end power, mazzuri headers are really popular but they are discontinued and have been for quite some time so youll have to buy used, a lot of the other guys i run around with went with megan headers i believe (could be wrong on that) and those have long runners lending more to upper end power, so like i said kinda depends on what you wanna do with the car

(correct me if im wrong on any of this guys)
Old 07-08-10, 06:56 AM
IanHen
Rookie

Is there a titanium cat back available ?
do you guys replace the last cat with a bigger one and replace that pipe as well.

I know there isn't much performance to be had but would like to decrease the weight not increase it. And increasing the size does allow for a turbo later.
Old 07-08-10, 11:02 AM
NCis300
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

go with the greddy ti-c or the evo 2, i had the hks hi pwr on my last car and it was pretty loud, i had the greddy sp2 on the exact same car and you could barely hear it
Old 07-08-10, 08:46 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
kinda depends on what you want to get out of the upgrade, i personally went with OBX short runner headers with y pipe, i went with these because the short runners are supposed to be better for low end power, mazzuri headers are really popular but they are discontinued and have been for quite some time so youll have to buy used, a lot of the other guys i run around with went with megan headers i believe (could be wrong on that) and those have long runners lending more to upper end power, so like i said kinda depends on what you wanna do with the car

(correct me if im wrong on any of this guys)

my friend had megan headers, i'm looking at the megan headers or the obx headers, but i'm not sure if the megan headers come with the y-pipe or not, and i know the obx do. know any good places ro get an o2 sim thats more "plug and play?"
Old 07-08-10, 10:26 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JSwenis
I had a GReddy EVO 2 Catback that sounded good. Nice deep growl, not too loud in my opinion but loudness is up to the driver. Right now i have an HKS Hi power axle back thats deep and not loud. I'm putting a mid pipe on now to make it louder. Here's a link to what mine sounds like

[url]
nice loafers
Old 07-09-10, 05:31 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by 03LexIS300
my friend had megan headers, i'm looking at the megan headers or the obx headers, but i'm not sure if the megan headers come with the y-pipe or not, and i know the obx do. know any good places ro get an o2 sim thats more "plug and play?"
not sure man, i know when i went to go look for one it apparently was right after they passed a law outlawing such devices to be sold, so.... pissed off i just yanked the bulb so i didnt have that damn light on all the time lol
Old 07-09-10, 08:25 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
not sure man, i know when i went to go look for one it apparently was right after they passed a law outlawing such devices to be sold, so.... pissed off i just yanked the bulb so i didnt have that damn light on all the time lol
hahaha sounds like my best bet too if i get headers.