Shopping for is300

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-10, 04:42 PM
jaredmac11
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Shopping for is300

Hey all,

I need a new reliable ride and alot of people and places have pointed me to the lexus is300. It seems like a sporty, yet reliable ride. Exactly what Im looking for. I dont want a car to tweak and work on every weekend. I just want a dd that I can get in and go.
Ive been looking at volvo s60 (still considering the s60..), saab 9-3, acura tl.. you name it, but the lexus seems to be priced best for what I get.

I want to hold on to my car for awhile--5 to 10 years and.. something that I can fall in love with. I have a 78 bmw which Ive maintained for awhile but I need something newer (and something with AC)

I like the price point of the 02 and 03, but how are they in terms of reliability compared to say 05 or 06? If I can get the change together for an 05 06 should I go for that-- or pocket that money id save and put it back in the car? I see 02s at around 6500, yet 05 can go up past 14000 so the price gets really steep.

Are there different packages between is models? any important changes through the years with this model? how is the automatic tranny for this car? Ive always driven manual but I just cant seem to find one for any newer car. Id settle on auto if it was decent and responsive. what scheduled maintenances are there for these older vehicles, like when is the timing belt replaced?

any tips for buying a used is300 would be appreciated

thanks for your input

Last edited by jaredmac11; 07-17-10 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-17-10, 06:47 PM
mou
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mines is still running strong so far, just hit 88k miles. No problems yet
Old 07-17-10, 07:43 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jaredmac11
Hey all,

I need a new reliable ride and alot of people and places have pointed me to the lexus is300. It seems like a sporty, yet reliable ride. Exactly what Im looking for. I dont want a car to tweak and work on every weekend. I just want a dd that I can get in and go.
Ive been looking at volvo s60 (still considering the s60..), saab 9-3, acura tl.. you name it, but the lexus seems to be priced best for what I get.

I want to hold on to my car for awhile--5 to 10 years and.. something that I can fall in love with. I have a 78 bmw which Ive maintained for awhile but I need something newer (and something with AC)

I like the price point of the 02 and 03, but how are they in terms of reliability compared to say 05 or 06? If I can get the change together for an 05 06 should I go for that-- or pocket that money id save and put it back in the car? I see 02s at around 6500, yet 05 can go up past 14000 so the price gets really steep.

Are there different packages between is models? any important changes through the years with this model? how is the automatic tranny for this car? Ive always driven manual but I just cant seem to find one for any newer car. Id settle on auto if it was decent and responsive. what scheduled maintenances are there for these older vehicles, like when is the timing belt replaced?

any tips for buying a used is300 would be appreciated

thanks for your input
the is300's are very good cars, mine has been a great car. the is300's are all basically the same. 2001 only has auto tranny and has a few different features, but not many. 05 is the last year of the is300 and 02-05 are pretty much the same, interior can vary from car to car, some have full leather, and some have sueade on leather, some have navigation, some dont, the storage compartment on the dash is different in 04-05 vs. 01-03, some have heated seats, some dont, but they are all VERY similar. the automatic tranny is good. i used to have an 04 with an auto tranny and it had 133k miles and it was great, now i have an 03 5 speed had 95k when i bought it currently has 102k. the timing belt is to be replaced at 90k and you can do the water pump at the same time if you want, but it isnt something you have to do because the water pump is not driven by the timing belt, it is driven my the regular drive belt. keep in mind timing belt replacement is important on this car as it has an 'interferance" engine which means if the timing belt breaks it will 9 times out of 10 wipe out the valves, which can mean having to rebuild the bottom end due to holes in the pistons from hitting the valves and etc and getting a new head due to bent/broken valves and etc or looking for a whole new engine (cheapest route).
Old 07-18-10, 04:33 PM
jaredmac11
Driver

Thats really good info. Good to know the years pretty much stay the same year to year. So I should really look at miles as a bigger factor than years.

I found an 05, the guy wants around ~13-14k for it. I'm gonna go look at it, its apparently pristine. I am bad at finding a value for these cars, they range from $6k-18k. What would yall suggest I do to get a better feel of whats a good price for what?
Old 07-18-10, 07:40 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, I would try to get the newest IS300 you can get, all i would recommend all the years except 2001, because the 2002 cars came with many nice upgrades that year, including a arm rest, darker tail lights on dark colored cars(2003 has both dark headlight and tail lights on all colors). Only things I have gone wrong in six years of ownership is the darn CD changer( twice), and a o2 sensor(easy fix). Lastly I think 14k for a 2005 is a good deal, but also check pricing on autotrader and edmunds to be sure.
Old 07-18-10, 08:09 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
Yes, I would try to get the newest IS300 you can get, all i would recommend all the years except 2001, because the 2002 cars came with many nice upgrades that year, including a arm rest, darker tail lights on dark colored cars(2003 has both dark headlight and tail lights on all colors). Only things I have gone wrong in six years of ownership is the darn CD changer( twice), and a o2 sensor(easy fix). Lastly I think 14k for a 2005 is a good deal, but also check pricing on autotrader and edmunds to be sure.
haha i forgot about the armrest, thats right. i would also go for the newest one out there and 14k for an 05 isnt bad at all.
Old 07-20-10, 06:10 PM
jaredmac11
Driver

The owner is apparently getting 'fed up with this selling b.s.' and said if I threw money at him tomorrow, he'd let it go for 12.5k

I don't have great pics, but the car is in decent shape. Pretty good overall, but reasonable wear and tear for 5 years. Especially the shift console (scratches galore there) and the dash.

I want to jump on this car, but I'm still torn between Volvo s60 and Lexus, and then I drove a Saab 9-3 and I had fun with that car too. I think the turbos in the Volvo and Saabs make them a bit peppier and all, but the Lexus just feels like a nicer ride. The what-ifs kill me tho

$12,500 seems like a steal though. Could anyone run a VIN in carfax for me? IF not I'll just buy one tonight. Id appreciate it though.

Last edited by jaredmac11; 07-20-10 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 07:58 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

The owner is apparently getting 'fed up with this selling b.s.' and said if I threw money at him tomorrow, he'd let it go for 12.5k

I don't have great pics, but the car is in decent shape. Pretty good overall, but reasonable wear and tear for 5 years. Especially the shift console (scratches galore there) and the dash.

I want to jump on this car, but I'm still torn between Volvo s60 and Lexus, and then I drove a Saab 9-3 and I had fun with that car too. I think the turbos in the Volvo and Saabs make them a bit peppier and all, but the Lexus just feels like a nicer ride. The what-ifs kill me tho

$12,500 seems like a steal though. Could anyone run a VIN in carfax for me? IF not I'll just buy one tonight. Id appreciate it though.
go for the lexus. i guarantee you will be happy with it, how many miles are on it? 12.5 sounds like a great deal! you will have a lot less problems out of the lexus vs the saab or volvo.
Old 07-20-10, 08:21 PM
jaredmac11
Driver

That's what I'm thinking. As much fun as the turbo would be, I think in the long run the lexus will be my best bet. 64k miles. I don't think $12,500 is the best deal, but its a good deal.
Old 07-20-10, 08:34 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

That's what I'm thinking. As much fun as the turbo would be, I think in the long run the lexus will be my best bet. 64k miles. I don't think $12,500 is the best deal, but its a good deal.
well as long as the car has never been in a major collison and its salvaged or anything, and all the paint matches and looks good and the car looks good overall and is in good muchanical shape, which at 64k theres no reason it shouldnt be. 12,500 isnt too bad. hopefully the car has never been in a collision or had paint work. did you check all the vin numbers? there is one vin number label on each door, the quarter panels inside the rear door jambs, the hood, both fenders, and the trunk lid. also dont just look for all the stickers, make sure they all match the cars vin lol, and the vin on the firewall and vin on the dash, and look for the door jamb stickers on the drivers side door jamb. hope this helps, also get a carfax or autocheck. looking at all of the vin numbers and etc do not tell you everything and neither does carfax or autocheck so its a good idea to look it over good yourself and to have someone else look it over with you so you dont miss anything. two sets of eyes are better than one
Old 07-20-10, 08:53 PM
vmirjamali
Driver

Let me make it easier on you bro. The s60 and s60 are probably the worst cars you can buy mechanically. Unless you like fixing the car every month, stay far far away. I know I have one. Get the is. At that price it's a steal, yes STEAL. I spent 3.4 k on my s80 in 2 years, it's a money pit. Plus it's the s60 is a turbo 6 from pre 05 the transmission will die on it... in... around 80-100k miles. Have fun.
Old 07-21-10, 12:10 AM
rvalero
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://my.is/forums/f115/2001-2005-i...s-list-201863/

I've had problems with the o2 sensors and the air mix servo in the climate control. With the IS starting to get up there in age, people are starting to see problems with worn out bushings...Particularly on the front lower control arms, and the steering rack. I just swapped out my No. 2 front lower control arm. I could see right through the old bushing. People are also starting to have problems with worn stabilizer bar endlinks. A lot of times, they look good and solid, but they cause an annoying clunk. I think people are also starting to have issues with front ball joints going bad.

The IS is a great car, and it's very reliable, but it is starting to show it's age.

Last edited by rvalero; 07-21-10 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-21-10, 01:35 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

12,500 is probably not the best deal..

for example i'm selling mine with more than $6,000 invested in extras for only $10,000
Only selling because I want a IS250 RWD with 6 speed transmission........

2001 - auto
- new motor installed (over $2500)
- RMM side skirts (not in picture) (painted & installed - $300)
- Slotted / cross drilled rotors (not in picture) (rotors & install - $600)
- chargespeed rear bumper (not in picture) (bumper/paint/install - $900)
- Tein fully adjustable coilovers (coilovers & camber kit & installation - $800 )
- 19" rims (better than the one in the picture) (rims + tires - more than $2000)
- stock hood + custom painted carbon fiber hood (not in picture) (Hood + custom paint + hood pins - more than $800)

Last edited by llllllllll; 07-21-10 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-21-10, 02:41 PM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car^ but all that money invested into your car doesnt matter when it comes to selling (except for the new motor).

and 12.5k for an 05 with 64k is a great deal!
Old 07-21-10, 02:59 PM
TheCaveman
Driver School Candidate

Hi All, new member here.

I bought my first is300 yesterday. One owner with 71k on it cost me $10k. As a one owner, totally stock car, I think I stole the thing. Taking that into account, I think $12.5k sounds like a great deal on an 05 with that mileage.

Good luck. I'm going to find another excuse to go drive my car ...

Quick Reply: Shopping for is300