IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Lsd is300??? Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-10, 07:51 AM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Locating a IS300 LSD is not easy at all....

Regardless what the seller says, unless it is still intact in the vehicle, there is no visual clues...NONE. Beware of what the sellers tell you.... I spent hours arguing with several different retailers, returned 4 "standard differentials",(supposedly LSD's) til I finally got a genuine IS300 LSD.

The problem is... the IS300 "standard differential" and the "limited-slip differential" look identical and are identical in appearance, size, shape and markings. Most places probably have a LSD in their stock but just don't realize it... or think they are LSD because both sides (ears) spin in the same direction. (The standard differential also spins in the same direction)

Therefore this rule does NOT apply to these Toyota Torsen LSD's. This is also why Toyota LSD's require standard GL-5 gear oil... do not use "limited-slip gear oils" with these Toyota Torsen LSD's.

The ONLY way to easily determine the difference is by the weight. The "standard differential" weighs roughly 50lbs... the LSD weighs roughly 80lbs.

Try T.A.P(Toyota Auto Parts) Recyclers in Rancho Cordova, CA.

After returning the second differential they sent us, they were going to give our money back because it wasn't worth their time to open them up to find one. But I was able to convince them to try again... because they had so many in stock they were bound to have one. I'm sure they're aware of the difference now.... unfortunately they may have raised the prices for the LSD's since then. =)

Choritsu-shi
Old 07-29-10, 10:01 PM
rvalero
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Choritsu-shi: There are markings on the diff housing that will tell you what you have. I bet the sticker on your OEM LSD says either M85 or M98. As I stated before, the code on my door sticker reads BO1B, which means that my car came with an LSD. The options list on my paper work from Lexus at the time of sale, and the window sticker confirmed the fact that my car came with an LSD. The sticker on my diff reads M85 = 5MT LSD 3.7 gear ratio. My friend's 2003 5MT IS300 had the same markings, and was factory equipped with an LSD.
Old 07-29-10, 10:42 PM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Choritsu-shi
Locating a IS300 LSD is not easy at all....

Regardless what the seller says, unless it is still intact in the vehicle, there is no visual clues...NONE. Beware of what the sellers tell you.... I spent hours arguing with several different retailers, returned 4 "standard differentials",(supposedly LSD's) til I finally got a genuine IS300 LSD.

The problem is... the IS300 "standard differential" and the "limited-slip differential" look identical and are identical in appearance, size, shape and markings. Most places probably have a LSD in their stock but just don't realize it... or think they are LSD because both sides (ears) spin in the same direction. (The standard differential also spins in the same direction)

Therefore this rule does NOT apply to these Toyota Torsen LSD's. This is also why Toyota LSD's require standard GL-5 gear oil... do not use "limited-slip gear oils" with these Toyota Torsen LSD's.

The ONLY way to easily determine the difference is by the weight. The "standard differential" weighs roughly 50lbs... the LSD weighs roughly 80lbs.

Try T.A.P(Toyota Auto Parts) Recyclers in Rancho Cordova, CA.

After returning the second differential they sent us, they were going to give our money back because it wasn't worth their time to open them up to find one. But I was able to convince them to try again... because they had so many in stock they were bound to have one. I'm sure they're aware of the difference now.... unfortunately they may have raised the prices for the LSD's since then. =)

Choritsu-shi
Im sorry but the ears will not spin in the same direction if it is open. No offense but that doesnt make sense. only a LSD will spin in the same direction. It is not possible for it to spin in the same direction if it is open because there is nothing to lock it into place. That is the easiest way to tell by far and will save alot of trouble..

But i do agree in the fact that they are hard to find and thanks for the tip on where to find one
Old 08-17-10, 01:23 AM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Originally Posted by slidingIS
Im sorry but the ears will not spin in the same direction if it is open. No offense but that doesnt make sense. only a LSD will spin in the same direction. It is not possible for it to spin in the same direction if it is open because there is nothing to lock it into place. That is the easiest way to tell by far and will save alot of trouble..

But i do agree in the fact that they are hard to find and thanks for the tip on where to find one
I couldn't tell you why it should make sense...but it is, what it is... it did, what it does. You know what else doesn't make sense? A Torsen Limited Slip isn't actually considered a true limited slip?

Keep thinking the way you are and you'll have a harder time finding one than I did...and when you do find one... you'll ruin it quicker than you found it, by using the wrong oil.

As I stated earlier...
"Therefore this rule does NOT apply to these Toyota Torsen LSD's. This is also why Toyota LSD's require standard GL-5 gear oil... do not use "limited-slip gear oils" with these Toyota Torsen LSD's."

No offense taken,

Choritsu-shi
Old 08-17-10, 01:36 AM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Originally Posted by rvalero
Choritsu-shi: There are markings on the diff housing that will tell you what you have. I bet the sticker on your OEM LSD says either M85 or M98. As I stated before, the code on my door sticker reads BO1B, which means that my car came with an LSD. The options list on my paper work from Lexus at the time of sale, and the window sticker confirmed the fact that my car came with an LSD. The sticker on my diff reads M85 = 5MT LSD 3.7 gear ratio. My friend's 2003 5MT IS300 had the same markings, and was factory equipped with an LSD.
Yes I'm aware of the code on the door, although most salvage places will already have the rear end removed from the vehicle.

The one I got probably had a sticker, but not that I saw. Thanks that good to know, although stickers on a rough casting won't stay on forever.

Choritsu-shi
Old 08-17-10, 07:50 PM
voleduy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might be a stupid question but I would be still stupid if dont ask this question .... What is LSD ..??????
Old 08-17-10, 11:54 PM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Choritsu-shi
I couldn't tell you why it should make sense...but it is, what it is... it did, what it does. You know what else doesn't make sense? A Torsen Limited Slip isn't actually considered a true limited slip?

Keep thinking the way you are and you'll have a harder time finding one than I did...and when you do find one... you'll ruin it quicker than you found it, by using the wrong oil.

As I stated earlier...
"Therefore this rule does NOT apply to these Toyota Torsen LSD's. This is also why Toyota LSD's require standard GL-5 gear oil... do not use "limited-slip gear oils" with these Toyota Torsen LSD's."

No offense taken,

Choritsu-shi
calm down angry elf. I found one and both ears spin the same direction. And GL-5 is what pretty much all gear oil is. the Limited slip oil is just an aditive. Oils like Royal Purple and Mobil 1 have it pre mixed already in the bottle. And i am using Royal Purple with the LSD additive mixed in and it works great. And i know its not a true limited slip. you never get that lucky from the factory but thats why my diff cost $400 instead of $2000, and it works for me
Old 08-17-10, 11:57 PM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by voleduy
This might be a stupid question but I would be still stupid if dont ask this question .... What is LSD ..??????
the only stupid wuestion is the one you dont ask. LSD stands for limited slip differential. which means that both wheels spin at the same time. As compared to an open differential where only one wheel spins. the power is applied to both wheels instead of just one wheel
Old 08-18-10, 07:17 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

i wish somebody had one or knew where one was located. It would be great

I know a guy that was selling one in NJ, I think he was looking for $575
If you want I can message him and see if he still has it for sale?
Old 08-18-10, 07:21 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by voleduy
Drugs

These guys are all druggies don't hang out with them!

hehe jk jk
Old 08-18-10, 03:41 PM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llllllllll
I know a guy that was selling one in NJ, I think he was looking for $575
If you want I can message him and see if he still has it for sale?
bought one already, but good looking out homeslice
Old 08-18-10, 10:14 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

I want one too

How much was the damage to your wallet?
Did you get auto or 5spd?
Old 08-19-10, 12:01 AM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llllllllll
I want one too

How much was the damage to your wallet?
Did you get auto or 5spd?
idk which one it is to be honest it was just at a junkyard that i randomly stopped at and the car was stripped. it cost me $400 which i thought was fair
Old 08-19-10, 12:07 AM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

lllllllll you need to post on the need advise on wheels thread and tire size thread, your one of the few people that could help them because of your set up
Old 08-19-10, 07:16 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

idk which one it is to be honest it was just at a junkyard that i randomly stopped at and the car was stripped. it cost me $400 which i thought was fair
If you are close to that junk yard can you ask them how much they would charge you for this plastic piece on the roof.
It's called something like "driver side rain channel plastic molding"?

Name:  RainChannelDriverSide.jpg
Views: 11446
Size:  41.9 KB

Let me know how much they want, if you get it I'll pay you and give $$ for shipping.

Quick Reply: Lsd is300??? Help