Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 08:59 AM
DexIS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by llllllllll
sweet dude

lets see some pics of this zx2

Well it's currently being rebuilt. It went from being a simple electrical wiring fix to building a custom turbo set-up, suspension upgrade and a couple other misc. performance items. I have a work log over at TeamZX2 that I can share with you. Keep in mind that it is a show car.

http://teamzx2.com/threads/22851-Dex...ne-Bay-Painted!!!
Old 10-13-10, 11:59 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice color, congrats on purchase and welcome to CL.
Old 10-13-10, 06:03 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome, very nice IS300 and ZX-2 to! About the plates, In PA you can get really cool DARE plates that are black in color, I really love the look of those plates..
Old 10-13-10, 07:29 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llllllllll
I heard another option is that clear 3M paint protection film.
I haven't heard about that one. does it just come in a spray can?
Old 10-13-10, 10:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Welcome and congrats!
Old 10-14-10, 04:26 AM
BlackoutGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DexIS300
Well it's currently being rebuilt. It went from being a simple electrical wiring fix to building a custom turbo set-up, suspension upgrade and a couple other misc. performance items. I have a work log over at TeamZX2 that I can share with you. Keep in mind that it is a show car.

I just hate it when this happens ... you want to fix one simple thing and them it turns into this.lol. I bet its gonna be worth it tho.

Welcome to CL, and Good find on the IS, with it being a munual and all. I sould have been more patient when i bought mine and waited for one to be available.
Old 10-14-10, 06:09 AM
DexIS300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
Welcome, very nice IS300 and ZX-2 to! About the plates, In PA you can get really cool DARE plates that are black in color, I really love the look of those plates..
Thanks. I love my DARE plates. I have one from both my cars, and I do have people ask me about them. They are for the Drug Abuse Resistance Education program. A few years back the DARE plates were changed and aren't black anymore. Instead, they look like a normal PA plate with the DARE logo on the side. They are ugly now, so I'm happy I got my second one just before they changed.

Originally Posted by BlackoutGS
I just hate it when this happens ... you want to fix one simple thing and them it turns into this.lol. I bet its gonna be worth it tho.

Welcome to CL, and Good find on the IS, with it being a munual and all. I sould have been more patient when i bought mine and waited for one to be available.
Yea, it would've been a quick and easy fix, but three years later and I'm still working on finishing it up. I always wanted to turbo charge my ZX2 but never had the funds or knowledge to do so. Like they say though, good things come in time. I plan on having it running next spring, knock on wood.

I am fortunate that I found my IS in manual. I wouldn't have bought it if it was auto. Once I learned how to drive manual, I decided never to go back to it. You could always do a manual swap if you really wanted to.
Old 10-14-10, 10:09 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are a few pictures from when I forst got my IS.

[

the car isn't perfect due to previous owners, but it was a good find. There are a few minor scratches here and there. I do have to replace the driver's side inner fender liner. I'm also gonna have to restore the headlights cause they are starting to haze up. I am planning on using Meguires plasticx and the Mother's power ball to remove the headlight haze. Has anyone gone through the headlight buffign process before? Does it really work?

I also have CEL on right now, and the code is P0037, Bank 1 Sensor 2 if I'm not mistaken. I've already replaced an O2 sensor before with a Bosch replacement sensor. Do you reccomend the Bosch brand or the Denso brand? I've heard mixed reviews on the Bosch already. Any help or experience you can share would be appreciated. Thanks.
ive never tried those headlight kits but i hear they work. Meguires plasticx ive tried and it didnt seem to be strong enough. i like regular rubbing compound then you should add the 3m clear film
Old 10-14-10, 10:13 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh wow
Old 10-14-10, 10:19 AM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by baadhabit
ive never tried those headlight kits but i hear they work. Meguires plasticx ive tried and it didnt seem to be strong enough. i like regular rubbing compound then you should add the 3m clear film
I'm going to try this on mine and see how it works, my headlights aren't that bad, just have a slight haze on them.
Old 10-14-10, 11:33 AM
DexIS300
Driver School Candidate

I really wouldn't mind finding a set of black housing headlights to swap instead of going through the trouble of cleaning them up. The hazing is really heavy on my driver's side light. It seems like most people I talk to about this say it doesn't last and it could be a PITA to open and re-seal the lights correctly. Anyone know of someone selling mentioned headlights?
Old 10-14-10, 12:08 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 03LexIS300
Headlight buffing no matter what you do is only going to last a few months. I have heard that you can sand your headlights with 1500 grit sandpaper and clear coat them, I am not sure how good that is as I have never tried it but buffing will only last a matter of months. As far as the o2 sensors go I would not get Bosch, I would go with Denso. If you order the sensor from Carquest they sell Carquest Denso o2 sensors which are just like OEM at Carquest price not Toyota.
they have headlight resto kits at like advanced and stuff, my shop also carrys them and the sanding is the best route. but take your time its about a half hour on each side wet sand the lens then polish it. mine looks brand new now that i did that but again be meticulous when sanding them
Old 10-14-10, 06:23 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 03LexIS300
I haven't heard about that one. does it just come in a spray can?
nah it's a clear film link window tint.
Not only will it keep your headlights from getting foggy after you sand them, but it also protects against rock chips and bugs.

Last edited by llllllllll; 10-14-10 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-14-10, 06:41 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ais300c
they have headlight resto kits at like advanced and stuff, my shop also carrys them and the sanding is the best route. but take your time its about a half hour on each side wet sand the lens then polish it. mine looks brand new now that i did that but again be meticulous when sanding them

Yeah my buddy who owns a tint shop ( accuratetint.com ) who also does paint protection and headlight restoration recommended the 3M restoration kit. He showed me one, it's really awesome, has like 4 different sandpapers, and some other stuff, fits right on your drill, you go all around your headlight with the drill like a buffer. coarse, less coarse, less less coarse, then fine grit sand paper, then buffer then some kinda sealer or something, final step is clear coat or 3m paint protection film.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...oductId=940372
Old 10-15-10, 06:07 AM
DexIS300
Driver School Candidate

That's something I might look into then. Thanks for the info. One way or another, the headlights either need repaired or replaced soon.

Quick Reply: New IS300 owner here.