IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Coming from an Audi, who has owned a German car and an IS300?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-11, 10:03 PM
HowdyAudi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming from an Audi, who has owned a German car and an IS300?

Hi, I currently drive a 2002 Audi A4 and I am tired of fixing the damn thing. I was looking at an IS300 but I wanted to ask a few questions to see if the ownership will be worth the hassle of selling my car and buying a new one. I like the IS because it seems to have a bullet proof drive train, comprehensive safety features, all my required luxury features, seemingly fun to drive, and I LOVE I6 engines. I have very few concerns because the IS sounds like a pretty reliable car but all the German car forums say otherwise...slightly biased of course. One thing that does concern me is rust. German cars are very resistant to rust in my experience but the Acura I once had was more rust than paint. How good are these cars as far as paint work and rust resistance?

The following questions are also important in helping me decide:

I like a quiet highway ride, how well does the IS filter wind and road noise from the outside?

Is the suede upholstery easy to clean and does it stand the test of time?

How good is the stock sound system? (I won't use the CD changer)

Does the car develop a lot of squeaks and rattles over time? (this is an important one)

Does the automatic transmission have any known faults which cause failure?

Does this car have enough torque to make highway passing easy? (my Audi kicks butt in this department)

This is a good start. I would be really interested in the input of those who have owned German cars and can compare the driving experience to the IS. Is it as involved and fun to drive?

Thanks in advance for all who provide input.
Old 05-24-11, 11:29 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HowdyAudi
Hi, I currently drive a 2002 Audi A4 and I am tired of fixing the damn thing. I was looking at an IS300 but I wanted to ask a few questions to see if the ownership will be worth the hassle of selling my car and buying a new one. I like the IS because it seems to have a bullet proof drive train, comprehensive safety features, all my required luxury features, seemingly fun to drive, and I LOVE I6 engines. I have very few concerns because the IS sounds like a pretty reliable car but all the German car forums say otherwise...slightly biased of course. One thing that does concern me is rust. German cars are very resistant to rust in my experience but the Acura I once had was more rust than paint. How good are these cars as far as paint work and rust resistance?

The following questions are also important in helping me decide:

I like a quiet highway ride, how well does the IS filter wind and road noise from the outside?

Is the suede upholstery easy to clean and does it stand the test of time?

How good is the stock sound system? (I won't use the CD changer)

Does the car develop a lot of squeaks and rattles over time? (this is an important one)

Does the automatic transmission have any known faults which cause failure?

Does this car have enough torque to make highway passing easy? (my Audi kicks butt in this department)

This is a good start. I would be really interested in the input of those who have owned German cars and can compare the driving experience to the IS. Is it as involved and fun to drive?

Thanks in advance for all who provide input.

IS300 is really good and resistant to rust. I have never heard of anyone having any rust problems with IS300 (unless they have been in an accident and repairs weren't done properly). The one case I heard about rust the guy got a pre-owned car from a dealership that had been in an accident and repaired by the dealership he bought the car from. After about 3-5 years he discovered the rust inside the quarter pannel and made a post on this form asking for suggestions if he has any legal recourse against the dealership. That's the only case of rust I ever heard on this forum... Good sign I think...

Road Noise - Compared to german cars, I think IS300 does POORLY with road noise. But if you want to take extra steps to sound proof the car it can be improved. My girl has a 2009 A4 and you can't hear anything in her car, but in mine you can hear about 50% more road & wind noise.

The stock sound system is awesome. I heard that even a lot of the aftermarket speakers on the market aren't as good as the stock speakers. Mine kick butt personally, I have no complaints.. I don't know if we have a stock subwoofer in IS300, I can't locate one, but it has plenty of bass and the high's are nice too. I have no complaints..

Squeaks and rattles over time. I guess, if you have a 10 year old car you're gonna get squeeks and rattles, but they're easy to fix. I have developed a few and easily taken care of them. I remember my heat shield on my exhaust was rattling for a week or two, it got really annoying, one day i was bored and just ripped it off with my own two hands and no tools. That's when you know it was loose and needed to come off lol.. And now I have a little rattle on my driver side door pannel. But it's all good because I'm looking to upgrade to 2003+ door pannels with the chrome ring and I'm gonna get them custom wrapped. Any repairs you do yourself or if you bring it to a mechanic are going to be like 50% cheaper than if you have a german car. So my door pannel that I'm gonna get is like $100. For an equal german car it would be more i have no doubt about it.

Highway passing: I have an automatic tranny and I have NOOOOO problem passing on the highway and I am usually the one leading the pack, people following me.. I'm the rabbit that people follow so they don't get a ticket.. I never have a problem passing cars unless the car is modified like a mustang GT or something like that.. As far as speed, I'm not sure if my IS300 is faster than my 240sx or not... I would like to know though, I think it would be a pretty close race!

Last edited by llllllllll; 05-24-11 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-24-11, 11:45 PM
HowdyAudi
Rookie

Thanks for responding so quickly, appreciate your input and your answers are just what I was looking for. I'm trying to find an IS to test drive but there aren't any nearby.
Old 05-25-11, 12:05 AM
HowdyAudi
Rookie

My A4 is really quiet except for wind moderate wind noise at highway speeds. It makes long distance road trips an absolute dream with awesome seats and proper road manners but I want to find those things in a more dependable car.
Old 05-25-11, 04:45 AM
DaiKaIS300
Driver School Candidate

I had an Audi for about a month and for some reason I was always dreading something going wrong with it. I guess I'm just more comfortable in a Japanese car. Love everything about the car, speed is great, I'd say a pretty comfortable ride. Wind noise sucks though but my music distracts me from it. Not as roomy as the Audi for sure. Your other questions were answered, thought I put in some extras info.
Old 05-25-11, 06:48 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had an 06 A3.

I'll never buy a german made car again. My wife just bought an 05 jetta and she's quickly learning how big of a mistake that was. "honey we don't buy cars just because they're cute!"
Old 05-25-11, 06:51 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when my car was stock i thought the interior was pretty quiet. i didnt hear road noise much. the oem stereo is nice. the one issue that many complain about it the CD changer jamming.

The stock sound system is awesome. I heard that even a lot of the aftermarket speakers on the market aren't as good as the stock speakers. Mine kick butt personally, I have no complaints.. I don't know if we have a stock subwoofer in IS300, I can't locate one, but it has plenty of bass and the high's are nice too. I have no complaints..
^IS300 sedans do not have a sub. the Sport Cross (wagon) do have a sub

also get up and go is good. so no issues at highway speeds. some have complained the IS is slower than other cars. also gas mileage has been a concern. the 2JZ motor does not give good gas mileage.

never heard of rust issues on the IS. i know Acuras and older Hondas had rust issues in the rear quarter panels.
Old 05-25-11, 11:25 AM
HowdyAudi
Rookie

I have a tape deck adapter for my ipod so the cd changer isn't a concern. I forgot to ask about theft. The body style of the A4 before mine was very susceptible to car theft and I wonder if the IS has this issue as well. I've found a few IS sedans and one hatchback in my area but they are all so expensive. I am looking for an 02 or 03 Sedan with and automatic that has not been modded. I like the full leather seats as opposed to the suede/leather combo. No one had commented on the dependability of the automatic transmission, how many miles can I expect to get out of it?
Old 05-25-11, 11:39 AM
DaiKaIS300
Driver School Candidate

I'm at 150k right now. Don't seem to have any trouble. Not sure if any of the older members had any issue.
Old 05-25-11, 11:58 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

I have a tape deck adapter for my ipod so the cd changer isn't a concern. I forgot to ask about theft. The body style of the A4 before mine was very susceptible to car theft and I wonder if the IS has this issue as well. I've found a few IS sedans and one hatchback in my area but they are all so expensive. I am looking for an 02 or 03 Sedan with and automatic that has not been modded. I like the full leather seats as opposed to the suede/leather combo. No one had commented on the dependability of the automatic transmission, how many miles can I expect to get out of it?
If all has been serviced on time it should last for well over 200k miles.
Old 05-25-11, 05:14 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Justin727
If all has been serviced on time it should last for well over 200k miles.
Probably 300k if driven nicely and not beat on and raced...
My buddy has 266+ on his IS and his auto trans is as good as mine and he never had to get it serviced!
Old 05-25-11, 05:18 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

I forgot to ask about theft. The body style of the A4 before mine was very susceptible to car theft and I wonder if the IS has this issue as well.

Theft!? I didn't know cows & sheep in Utah were that Gangsta!!

hehe jk jk, but seriously, I have my car in center city philly, no issues for me.
Old 05-25-11, 06:57 PM
HowdyAudi
Rookie

Originally Posted by llllllllll
Theft!? I didn't know cows & sheep in Utah were that Gangsta!!

hehe jk jk, but seriously, I have my car in center city philly, no issues for me.
Hahaha, yeah we are full of surprises over here.

So how do I tell if the transmission has been raced or treated poorly, aside from odd noises or rough shifting. If I took it to a Lexus dealer for a pre-purchase inspection, could they tell if it had been abused?
Old 05-26-11, 05:41 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llllllllll
Probably 300k if driven nicely and not beat on and raced...
My buddy has 266+ on his IS and his auto trans is as good as mine and he never had to get it serviced!
He hasn't done any trans fluid drain and fills or flushes? He's playing with fire there!!!

Check the fluid of the trans, see if its dark, smell if its burnt, if all is well it should be ok!
Old 05-26-11, 05:54 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Justin727
He hasn't done any trans fluid drain and fills or flushes? He's playing with fire there!!!

Check the fluid of the trans, see if its dark, smell if its burnt, if all is well it should be ok!
Oh I'm sorry, I mean he has probably kept with maintenance, but he never had his car in the shop to get any transmission stuff replaced/fixed.

Quick Reply: Coming from an Audi, who has owned a German car and an IS300?