IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Modellista/Qualitat front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-11, 12:29 PM
MrMeloD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modellista/Qualitat front bumper

Hello everybody, I'm Melo. I've been lurking around the forum for a while acquiring knowledge, but this is my first post. Unfortunately I recently got into a little fender bender, and as a replacement I am looking into getting a Modellista/Qualitat front bumper soon. However, I have a couple questions that I need to get answered before I can proceed with hopefully getting one. I was wondering if anyone knows:

1. whether or not the Qualitat bumper will fit over the USDM crash bar and foam, or is it necessary to acquire a JDM front crash bar in order to make it fit?

2. Do the fog lights use the same plugs/wiring of the OEM fog lights, or is modification or are additional/different parts necessary?

3. Does anyone have the part number that's on the inside of the front bumper?

Thanks in advance for your help guys!
Old 06-02-11, 06:49 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know the answer to only your first question and that is NO, the bumper will not fit over the OEM crash bar. Modellista is a Japanese bumper made for the Japanese altezza which runs a smaller crash bar. with that bumper your options are to 1. remove the US crash bar 2. cut the US bar to fit or 3. purchase a JDM crash bar.

if you want to know more or interested in purchasing i would talk to either L-Tunedparts.com or nigel-jdmparts.com theyre both vendors on Club Lexus
Old 06-02-11, 09:42 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

This guy had your bumper for sale. I think this is back from 2007 though.
You should still be able to send him a PM and ask him tons of questions.
He obviously has some experience and should be able to provide answers for ya.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is3...nt-bumper.html

And this guy had one that fits over the USDM crash bar.
Maybe you should send him a PM also to see where he got his, maybe it's a replica?
Didn't know there were usdm versions of this bumper?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is3...nt-in-msm.html

Originally Posted by baadhabit
i know the answer to only your first question and that is NO, the bumper will not fit over the OEM crash bar. Modellista is a Japanese bumper made for the Japanese altezza which runs a smaller crash bar. with that bumper your options are to 1. remove the US crash bar 2. cut the US bar to fit or 3. purchase a JDM crash bar.
true story

1. remove the US crash bar
(easiest/cheapest option, but not good for permanent solution. Without a crashbar, any little tap - your bumper is pretty much dunzo)

2. cut the US bar to fit or
(If you have seen the crash bar before you'll know that it's probably not as easy as it sounds, but a very good option)

3. purchase a JDM crash bar.
(you can find them in the classifieds section occasionally)
Old 06-02-11, 08:28 PM
MrMeloD
Rookie

Thanks soo much for the responses guys. Yeah, I talked to the body shop today and they actually did some research on it and it turns out that the bumper will actually fit over a bare USDM crashbar, without the foam that comes with. Unfortunately, my dad is not going for any modifications that could tamper with the structural integrity of the car so I'll probably just have to get a new USDM bumper with TRD replica lip :/
Old 06-02-11, 08:32 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just don't tell your dad that the foam will be removed.
Old 06-03-11, 02:42 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Removing the foam doesn't "tamper with structural integrity of the car", same with cutting the crash bar...
Cutting the crashbar might decrease effectiveness but not by a whole lot. It's not like you will be cutting the crash bar off totally.
The crash bar is still there, just that it went on a little diet.

You can tell him this - "Structural integrity = Your vehicle's ability to retain roof strength and structure during a rollover accident."

If you get a JDM crash bar there is no cutting/modifying needed.
So it is designed and tested by toyota to meet safety standards of most of the world.
(just not US safety standards.. you don't have to tell him that though haha).
Old 09-07-11, 05:05 AM
dsouthmia0
Pole Position

I know this is old but just thought I would let ppl know we can fit the Qualitat bumper perfectly over our USDM crash bars with foam!!! Mine slid right on
Old 09-07-11, 07:33 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dsouthmia0
I know this is old but just thought I would let ppl know we can fit the Qualitat bumper perfectly over our USDM crash bars with foam!!! Mine slid right on
Nice!

Post pics, where did you get yours?
Old 09-07-11, 11:56 AM
dsouthmia0
Pole Position

Thanks, I got mine off a guy who posted it on this forum along with skirts. I got the bumper and skirts shipped for $1100. I just got it back a few days ago from the paint shop, and now I am on the mission of tracking down the fogs. I have the Normal L-tuned yellow tint fogs but I'm looking to trade someone for the Modellista ones (in the works hopefully soon)

Heres some pics of me test fitting it, this is how I found out it fit. The guy did mislead me a little, he said the bumper was black (as you can see it was blue). He also said it was mint but it was missing a lower tab and had a poorly repaired crack on one side. No worries since my good friend at the body shop is a Pro, got it all done and fixed for $300 with skirts and paint. Ill post some pics of it painted later, then again in a few weeks when everything is together. I am also installing the Altezza side markers and repainting my front fenders. Ill keep ya posted
Old 09-07-11, 05:43 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Looks great man, keep us posted!
Old 09-07-11, 07:22 PM
ToMs2jz
Lead Lap

I wanted that kit soo bad back in the day. Sick kit OP good luck finding one lol
Old 09-25-11, 04:57 PM
MrMeloD
Rookie

Hey guys, sorry for not updating. Bottom line is that the guy I was gonna get the kit from in Japan sold it so looks like that won't be happening. TBH, Im actually happy I didn't get it. I'll be getting this front lip soon though: The one I'm getting will be carbon fiber though and my car is MSM. I really like how subtle it is as opposed to some of the other lips out there, I'm just going for the OEM+ look.
Old 09-25-11, 08:47 PM
dexlex2002
Lead Lap

i like the lip
Old 09-26-11, 08:56 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That lip doesn't look bad either if you aren't going for your original choice of that bumper.