Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Swapped motors from is300 to gs300 ECU problem/question

HELP!

So, I recently had my '00 GS300 stock engine seize up on me. I found an 04'
IS 300 engine with only 50,000 miles on it. I have already swapped out
engines. Upon putting the new engine in, I noticed that not all the plugs go
into the "gs300" ecu. I then went to the IS 300 seller and requested their
ECU. I put the new ECU and noticed that all the engine wires plug in, but not all
the GS300 body wires do not.
My question, would I be better off with the new ECU or old one? I'm trying to figure out what else would need to be done without the hassle of rewiring.

I did try the search function, however, I can't find a clear cut answer. Any help would be appreciated!!

-Rhett
Old 08-21-11, 07:39 AM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

well first of all you would be better off posting this question in the correct section....

However im not sure why you are doing extra work for nothing switching ECU's and trying to plug in other wiring harnesses, of course they are going to be different they are completely different cars...

you SHOULD have taken the OLD GS wiring harness off the OLD GS engine when you removed it and put it on the NEW IS engine when you installed it, you may have had to change a few sensors for the plugs at most and never touched the ECU.
Old 08-21-11, 10:26 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

You can't use the IS300 wiring or ECU. It doesn't work like that.

Keep your GS300 ECU, you don't need a new one. Put your GS300 harness onto the IS300 engine.

Jeff
Old 08-21-11, 10:30 AM
rhettbando
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
well first of all you would be better off posting this question in the correct section....

However im not sure why you are doing extra work for nothing switching ECU's and trying to plug in other wiring harnesses, of course they are going to be different they are completely different cars...

you SHOULD have taken the OLD GS wiring harness off the OLD GS engine when you removed it and put it on the NEW IS engine when you installed it, you may have had to change a few sensors for the plugs at most and never touched the ECU.
Sorry, I wasn't sure where to post it. The problem was the harness on the GS was cut accidently. I still have access to OLD ECU as well as the one that came with engine. Besides the wiring, what else should I expect?
Old 08-21-11, 10:35 AM
rhettbando
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
You can't use the IS300 wiring or ECU. It doesn't work like that.

Keep your GS300 ECU, you don't need a new one. Put your GS300 harness onto the IS300 engine.

Jeff
So the IS300 harness that came with the IS300 engine will NOT work at all with the GS300 body?

I wish I would have done more research before I started.
Old 08-21-11, 11:01 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Correct, there are many differences between the harnesses that will prevent this from working without changing things.

I'd suggest repairing your old harness if it's damaged, or finding another used one.

Jeff
Old 08-21-11, 11:53 AM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rhettbando
The problem was the harness on the GS was cut accidently.
Sounds more like someone didnt know what they were doing and started hacking things up, better go buy you a soldering iron and get to fixing it.

Originally Posted by rhettbando
So the IS300 harness that came with the IS300 engine will NOT work at all with the GS300 body?

I wish I would have done more research before I started.
Seriously man??? you bought an engine from a COMPLETELY different car and you expect the wiring and ecu to plug and play perfectly???

If you didnt want to do any extra work you should have bought the correct engine for your car instead of buying a different one.

Both jeff and i have told you what you need to do already... DITCH THE IS300 ECU AND WIRING HARNESS IT WONT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that clear enough????

either fix your GS harness or get another one and stop trying to be cheap and rigging stuff up.

Last edited by IOWNALEXUS; 08-21-11 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-21-11, 04:25 PM
rhettbando
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
Sounds more like someone didnt know what they were doing and started hacking things up, better go buy you a soldering iron and get to fixing it.

Seriously man??? you bought an engine from a COMPLETELY different car and you expect the wiring and ecu to plug and play perfectly???

If you didnt want to do any extra work you should have bought the correct engine for your car instead of buying a different one.

Both jeff and i have told you what you need to do already... DITCH THE IS300 ECU AND WIRING HARNESS IT WONT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that clear enough????

either fix your GS harness or get another one and stop trying to be cheap and rigging stuff up.
I thought it WAS the same engine. '00 2gjze-vvti GS300 and '04 2gjze-vvti IS300.
I was told by three different people that it was a perfect fit. That to me means aligning up with the wiring. I am going to put the GS harness on and use the GS ECU. Anything else I should expect?

Sorry, I'm new engine swapping, didn't know what to think.

Thanks for the advice though.
Old 08-21-11, 04:36 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

The engine is the same. The wiring is not a part of the engine, so as you have now learned, it is not the same.

Sorry man.

Jeff
Old 08-21-11, 04:37 PM
eriktreves
Driver School Candidate

wow...i am new to the forum as well, guess I should watch what questions I ask...
Old 08-21-11, 04:46 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by eriktreves
wow...i am new to the forum as well, guess I should watch what questions I ask...
Don't worry about it. Just don't take things too seriously when people respond in ways that you don't like. You'll be fine.

Jeff
Old 08-21-11, 05:00 PM
eriktreves
Driver School Candidate

I don't...just surprised is all...I am a mod on 2 other forums, I was just wondering is this is the type of responses I should expect...thanks for clearing it up. Back on topic...
Old 08-21-11, 05:19 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eriktreves
I don't...just surprised is all...I am a mod on 2 other forums, I was just wondering is this is the type of responses I should expect...thanks for clearing it up. Back on topic...
Well, the OP also asked in a forum that isn't for either of the two cars in question, so that probably didn't help the responses.

Asking in the first gen IS or the second gen GS forums would've made a lot more sense... he just got lucky to have a few folks who know 2JZ wiring also be in this forum (which is for cars that use several totally unrelated engines to either of the ones involved in his situation)

Last edited by Kurtz; 08-22-11 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Pronoun correction
Old 08-21-11, 05:23 PM
eriktreves
Driver School Candidate

Might want to read the whole thread including who started it......just saying
Old 12-31-11, 12:44 PM
srt007
Driver School Candidate

im a little late here but...

is300 harness works on a gs300.
the problem i see here is that the IS harness and ecu that was used was from an 04 and the gs is a 00.
for the IS harness to work on a 98-00 gs the IS harness would have to be from an 01.
thats why you can do aristo(GS300) swap to an IS300 without any issues with electical stuff, its the same crap from either platform, just gotta make sure the years are compatible.

IS300/2001 ok with gs300/1998-2000
IS300/2002-up ok with gs300/2001-up

Quick Reply: HELP! Swapped motors from is300 to gs300 ECU problem/question